Electrial Protection....Advice Please
We've owned a motorhome for just over a year now. Back when we were researching what to buy, we discussed getting some sort of spike protector. That was then. Now we have been either boondocking, relying on our batteries or genset, or in RV parks with never a thought of the power at the post....just taking it for granted. This week, we are in an RV park in AZ that catered to smaller units and semi-permenent residents, and had a very eye-opening encounter. The other morning, the wife was using her hair dryer and I was on the laptop. Suddenly, her hair dryer sounded 'different', and I heard a POP from somewhere in the front of the RV interior. I pulled out our voltmeter and tested the outlet inside our unit....it read 150 volts. After unplugging from the post outside, I checked the 110 outlet on the post....it read 120 Volts. A few hours later I ran an extension cord (regular household type) from the post to the coach....I checked the outlet inside again and got about 85 to 90 Volts......For the rest of our stay, we'll use the onboard power.
Here is the question. From what I've read, there are products out there that protects from surges, and products that boost voltage, few products do everything from what I've seen....is there anything out there that will protect from high and low voltage, and boost or lower the voltage as needed to keep it consistent enough to protect the circuitry in the coach that is all wrapped up in one product? I've read some stuff about a product from Frank's Electronics which I thought might be the answer, then read a post on IRV2 where someone who owns one recommended it as a useful boat anchor! Any suggestions? We have a 50 Amp service. Thanks to all who chime in, and please do.....I'd like to hear both sides on several products.
2002 Monaco Windsor 40 PKD
2005 BMW R1200RT (hers), 1983 BMW R100RT (his), 2016 Ural Gear Up (ours)