Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #1

Electric Trailer Brakes Walkthrough

I recently had to hook a brake controller to my RV and used several threads here to piece together some of the info I needed. Monaco provided some info and the rest I figured out. I wanted the info I found documented somewhere in case someone else ever needs to do what I did.

2005 Holiday Rambler 40PDQ on Roadmaster chassis. Called Monaco and they state there is no wiring harness for a 2005 model (2004 chassis). Wiring harnesses were added on the 2005 chassis (probably 2006 models).

Confirmed that the 7 way in the back did have a blue wire but traced it about 10 inches and it was just terminated with a cap.

On to doing it the hard way.....

Here is what you will need:
  • Brake controller
  • 3 wires 8 to 10 gauge will need 5 foot of 2 of the colors and 10 foot of the other
  • 1 wire 12 gauge, will need about 15 foot of this wire
  • 1 standard DC relay, autozone standard lighting relay (will have pins 87,86,85,30,87A)
  • Butt splices reds, blues, and yellows and vampire clips
  • Volt meter (Harbor freight special will work)
  • 1 Inline fuse holder and 30 amp fuse
  • Lots of zip ties
  • Will need one more long wire but we will get to that.
  • 1 helper (wife, teenager, well trained dog or otherwise...)

print the following picture for reference

Pull the generator tray forward
Locate the brake pedal and the 2 harnesses coming out of it. The higher harness should have 3 wires. The center wire, red I believe, is the service brake signal wire. This works as a negative 12 volts. Use a volt meter and confirm that when your helper presses the brakes that you get negative 12 volts from the wire.

Use the vampire clip and your 12 gauge wire and hook to this wire. Run the wire through the foam sealant on the right side of the RV to bring the wire into the distribution panel area. You are now done up front, close the generator tray.

Using the picture above wire the relay as shown and secure the relay to the wall. I chose to power the relay and the brake controller from the same inline fuse holder which I terminate on the main 12 volt chassis lug. From the fuse holder I used a yellow butt splice and connected two wires to one side of it. Doing this will keep the brake controller powered at all times. This is OK for me as I will be removing mine when not in use. I may install a switch on the inside of the RV if it ever becomes a problem. One of the 2 wires will go to the relay this wire will need to hook to both pins 86 and 30. I used another vampire clip and 3 inches of 12 gauge wire. The other wire will power the brake controller and will eventually be run inside the RV.

Use one of the other wires for your ground and wire it into the panel ground.

Inside the RV go ahead and remove the panel by your left leg when driving. They have button caps that pop off and then phillips head screws.

Back outside to the distribution panel. At this point you have 3 of the 4 wires required for the brake controller. Add a 4th wire to this, 10 gauge, and run all 4 wires up through the foam sealant and into the side panel by the driver seat. Use your helper to pull the wires and all slack through. Make sure to leave a few feet of the 4th un-terminated wire inside the distribution panel area.

Back inside the RV, butt splice all wires to the brake controller wiring harness. Mount your controller and button up the panel.

One last wire to run and boy is it fun.....

You will now need to run a wire from the 7 blade at the back of the RV all the way to the distribution panel area and butt splice it to the previously un-terminated wire.

You have choices here...considering the length you will want a high quality wire....considering the area you will want a well protected wire...

I just happen to have an outdoor extension cord with a bad end on it. The rest of the cord was fine. Obviously you will need one the same length or longer than your RV.

After finally getting the cord run the full length, tucking it out of danger, zip tying it every few feet, you can now butt splice it on the blue wire from the 7 blade. Cut the cap off the end and splice it good. I took 2 of the 3 wires from the extension cord and crimped them together.

On the other end you will either need to run the extension cord into the distribution panel area or run the un-terminated wire out. Either way, splice the same two wires to the un-terminated wire.

Testing....

Have your helper manually active the brake controller while you are at the back with your volt meter. Properly ground the black probe and place the red probe on the blade in the 4 oclock position. While your helper has activated the controller, you should get somewhere around 11 to 12 volts at the back. If lower check your settings on the controller. Tell the helper to release the manual control.

Now have your helper push the brake pedal. You should get some amount of voltage depending on how your brake controller operates. Time delay style should get full voltage as before. Proportionals will get low voltage and they rely on inertia to operate.

Hook up your trailer and take it for a test.

I hope this is helpful to whoever has to do this task in the future. I'm sure I'll be doing other writeups and I tend to do lots mods on stuff.
konman2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 AM   #2

Very nicely done, and documented!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent write-up, and a big THANKS!

Very timely, too. My new boat-trailer has the 'blue-wire' to inhibit the hydraulic surge-brake function when backing up, and I just installed the harness for it to the coach. I've been wrestling with troubleshooting why it wouldn't inhibit, and going round-and-round checking/rewiring/re-soldering/pulling-hair/etc/etc trying to make it work. Even griped-out the trailer-mfgr!
I did see that there was no voltage at the blue-wire on the connector, but was blinded by not trusting my work or that on the trailer. Never thought it would be something as simple as the blue-wire at the coach not being connected to anything... DUH!

Thanks again!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes