Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Electrical experts?

My 2003 Sig has an electric dining room table that slides out and in. It is really slow and paused once a second.. There is what appears to be a window motor and 90 degree gearbox with a 1/4 hole for drive.. I took the motor apart and cleaned it. Now the motor runs steady but slow. I saw on Amazon they sell a 12v to 24v 20 amp step up converter regulator. If I put this inline the incoming 12v, to double motor speed, will it do so? Could it hurt anything? I have no idea where I could find any replacement parts, as it appears to be a unicorn setup, so I don't want to take a big chance. It takes minutes to move table in and out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dine kitch.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	364892  
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2022, 04:23 AM   #2
YC1

Double the voltage would quadruple the heat.

No do not do it, find out what is wrong.

Run a wire from your battery ground to the motor area where you can attach it to the negative lead of the voltmeter. Activate the motor and measure BOTH the negative lead and the positive lead near the motor.

Of course these voltages are likely reversed when going in he opposite direction.

You should see a good strong 12.5 volt on one side while seeing zero volts on the other.

IF you see a good strong 12.5 volts on one side and any voltage on the other side you have a bad ground to the setup.

Of course if the voltage sinks below 12.5 by much when engaging the system you have a bad source.

A few pictures of the setup would be nice. It would be possible for some reversing relays to be sick but most likely some tired connections along the way.

If you want a quick simple test, find a small 12 volt battery and connect it to the motor directly. Be very careful of course. Batteries are not to be played with. They can produce immense amounts of power and weld things instantly.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:39 AM   #3

Might be useful to check wire size and motor label or measure full load amps.
I wonder if wire size is adequate for the load.
If your V check reveals low V it could be wire size inadequate or bad connections.
Also - have you disconnected motor and tried to move the table manually?
Can it be lubed to make it easier to slide?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:46 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Might be useful to check wire size and motor label or measure full load amps.
I wonder if wire size is adequate for the load.
If your V check reveals low V it could be wire size inadequate or bad connections.
Also - have you disconnected motor and tried to move the table manually?
Can it be lubed to make it easier to slide?

I was thinking lubricant also. Does the table slide on rails or something that might need to be cleaned and lubed?
Old 05-09-2022, 02:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. It slides very easily when the motor is disconnected (a threaded coupling on the long threaded rod that drives it.) I mean there is no resistance at all to move it. There are several relays back under the sofa near the motor. I'll try jumping the motor with a battery.
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical