RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Electrical help needed

I am about ready to complete my Samsung RF197 install. I discovered that both 120V receptacles in the back of the enclosure are NOT on inverted power. I would like to tie into my existing Magnum 2000W if possible because we usually don't boondock more than 2 days in a row. The reefer sits on a large slide. The nearest inverted outlet is in the bathroom, next to the toilet sink.
I ordered a Xantrex Prowatt SW1000 from Amazon just in case I need to have an independent inverter source. . We are tight on time so I wanted to have a plan B ready to go. I can always return it if don't use it.
I'm thinking this job may be too much for me so I would appreciate any recommendations of any good Rv repair shop or mobile service in the Portland, OR area.
Another option would be to go to the Eugene/Coburg area to get help from Elite or Monaco.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lloyd, I can recommend Dave and LJ's in Woodland. Had them do work on our previous rigs. I worked for a local shop some time ago but I wouldn't recommend them!
Sorry I missed you today, was going to surprise you and help with that last slide cover and maybe put the lambrerquin and cabinet back together.
Did you find the clear Sikaflex?

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lloyd, I can recommend Dave and LJ's in Woodland. Had them do work on our previous rigs. I worked for a local shop some time ago but I wouldn't recommend them!
Sorry I missed you today, was going to surprise you and help with that last slide cover and maybe put the lambrerquin and cabinet back together.
Did you find the clear Sikaflex?
Deen,
Greg thought he saw you out there but wasn't sure as he tending to his mother. I'm sorry I missed you. I was at HD looking for the Sikaflex but they just had the 2 colors I have. Perhaps I should try Lowe's.
I will give Dave and LJ's a call tomorrow. Getting desperate. Thinking also of just plugging into shore/gen power, hooking up the ice maker, just using 2 lag bolts to hold the reefer temporarily until I get to Coburg. Possibly using chairs and blankets to "secure" the box on the 2 hour drive.
Finished the last topper today, will put the lambrerquin back tomorrow and general clean- up.
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. Couldn't have done it without you.
Lloyd
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lloyd, you might try Boating World in Delta Park or Fishermans almost next door. They have some 3M stuff that is made for marine use and it comes in clear too. Will look around and see if I can find the # for it.
Deen
5200 is what I find now, but if you're going to Coburg I'm sure they will have something comparable.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Mount the inverter close to the batteries and run a heavy cord to (or hard wire to a new outlet) the refrigerator.

Manual http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...rter%20NA).pdf
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Very strange. I always thought that if you previously had a gas absorbtion type of frig. with an icemaker, the purpose of 2 outlets was: one is shore power only for the old frig. when you switch to AC. The other outlet is either shore or inverter for the 120VAC icemaker. When on shore power, it gets its power thru the inverter bypass circuits and out thru its circuit breakered output. When on inverter, it gets it power from the inverter thru the same circuit breakered output. The AC outlet your icemaker was plugged into from your old frig. should be the one to use on the new frig.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Otherwise, why in the world would they have put 2 outlets behind the old frig.??? Strange wiring.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

Wiring on rigs vary by brand but if it turns out that you dont have inverter power to the frig, it should be fairly easy to reroute the wiring at the breaker boxes to re-direct inverter power to your new frig. "Usually," it means simply moving the wire for the frig from the main breaker box to the secondary box powered by the inverter by-pass....good luck
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought the ice maker was powered by the 12v system? I hope so.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
The icemakers in the Norcolds and all other gas absorbtion frigs. I know of all run off 120VAC just like a house frig. That is why you have to have the inverter on and water pump on going down the road IF you want the icemaker to work. This is the outlet used when converting to a new residential frig.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Wiring on rigs vary by brand but if it turns out that you dont have inverter power to the frig, it should be fairly easy to reroute the wiring at the breaker boxes to re-direct inverter power to your new frig. "Usually," it means simply moving the wire for the frig from the main breaker box to the secondary box powered by the inverter by-pass....good luck
I definitely don't have inverter power to either outlet. I'm not sure what the secondary box is. I will try attach pics.
Sure appreciate your help!
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1770069115.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	45824   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1829404877.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	45825  

Name:	image-1107314105.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	605.8 KB
ID:	45826   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-163350164.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	45827  

Name:	image-3807576241.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	45828  
Old 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lloydu....Not to question your testing ability, but did you try plugging a light into both sockets with just the inverter on. As was mentioned, the inverter can be in sleep mode and testing the outlet won't turn it on or show power. You need to plug something in that draws power like a light or a drill motor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Lloydu....Not to question your testing ability, but did you try plugging a light into both sockets with just the inverter on. As was mentioned, the inverter can be in sleep mode and testing the outlet won't turn it on or show power. You need to plug something in that draws power like a light or a drill motor.
We used a volt meter to test, in fact we used two of them, neither registered a thing. The microwave panel was lit and wanting the time set so there should have been juice from the inverter.
Also, someone suggested tying into the microwave line. That was a good suggestion, but the refer is in the drivers side slide and the microwave is in the passenger side slide.
I should have gone out and given Lloyd a hand today but I had stuff to do at my place, you know, good stuff like mowing the yard and picking up leaves!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #14

By "secondary box," I meant one of two things--either you have a separate breaker box to distribute inverter/bypass current or the circuit from you inverter is isolated within a single breaker box to provide separate circuits for direct shore power vs inverter controlled circuits. Either way, suspect the best/easiest way is to move the frig wire to an inverter controlled breaker in your box. Agree that depending on set-up, some inverters sleep until called on for power--not trying to be cute but double checking several plugs with a 120v appliance is a good idea to ensure the inverter is "awake."

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote