RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Electrical, House Batteries, 12 Volt Switched Power

Help Please!

We left this morning from Lake George after a wonderful week for Americade. Noticed the 12 volt power for interior stuff (water pump, seats, toilet, etc) wasn't there, then it was....??? While driving the alladin system shows the house batteries going from 1.1 back up to 13.5. when we stop and turn off the engine, it drains right down and nothing inside works. unless we run the generator.

I've been reading the manual and did some seaching on here but can't seem to diagnose for sure. Could this be the battery maintainer? other than the green light, is there another way to check it?

I've checked voltage on house batts, good. checked typical connections, good.

what a, I missing?

thanks for all help!
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BikerGirl,

Sounds like a connection very close/at the batteries. It may be a corroded ground cable connection or anything else. As you are driving, etc, movement of the coach is creating the intermittent readings you're seeing. I'd open the battery compartment and do a thorough check- you will likely find the problem there. Keep us posted and I hope you find what's up.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Grounds are key on these rigs. I always make it a point when I get a used one to loosen and wire brush all the grounds where they bolt on to the frame. Then coat them with anti-corrosion spray that you would use on the battery posts. I see a lot of people posting with battery issues and cable maintenance and fluid level are keys to avoiding trouble on the road. JMO Randy
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As suggested you have an intermittent connection. Batteries do not drain from 13 volts to 1 volt in a few minutes without some incredible smoke.

IF you can get it in the failed mode it should be easy to sort out.
Do NOT just pull poke and shake things. You need to find out where you are losing power.

Start checking the voltage at the center of the battery bank post. Do not touch the cable. IF you are getting 12.5 or more then follow the wire from that positive post to the first place the large cable connects to. Check there. Keep following that route without disturbing the wires. Once you find a place where the voltage has dropped, then you can give it a little wiggle to see if it comes alive. At that point turn the batteries off and take each cable off one at a time to clean and tighten.

IF your voltage holds up throughout the battery compartment then go to the panel below the driver outside. I do not know for sure your year model but I suspect it is very close. There may be a large solenoid with a large cable on each side. Measure those two places as gently as you did the others.

If you find good voltage on one side and low on the other you have the "salesman solenoid" problem and there is an easy work around or fix for that.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #5

got home safely Mon night; spoke with Jesse at Monaco. he's pretty sure it's the solenoid. will pick up a cable today to bypass it. tested it yesterday; good voltage going in, a little less coming out. hopefully that's the issue. I did start to trace the ground mounts underneath. it's a huge mangle of wires! will report back later. gotta fix the washer too!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

bypassed the solenoid (salesman switch) with a cable. took out for a ride and WALA! seems to do the trick. batteries are normal now!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I was able to put both red wires on to the same lug of the solenoid. This avoided the extra connections in the circuit.
I'm happy it's all fixed.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
bypassed the solenoid (salesman switch) with a cable. took out for a ride and WALA! seems to do the trick. batteries are normal now!
I think that you are a bit confused. I believe that you bypassed the large solenoid (sometimes referred to as a "Trombetta" solenoid. This solenoid is used for the charging of the house batteries when the engine is running. It is also used when you need to "boost" the engine battery when it is too low to start the engine. The "salesman" solenoid is a different, smaller solenoid that disconnects the house batteries from most of the internal 12 volt loads in the coach, but leaves the safety items still connected (Carbon Monoxide, Propane detectors)

While your bypassing the large solenoid allows the house batteries to be charged when the engine is running, you have lost the isolation between the house and the engine batteries. When you are stopped, dry camping for example, you will deplete both the house and engine batteries at the same time, potentially not having enough engine battery to start the engine. Then, you are what is called: "up the creek, without....."

You should find out what is causing your house battery charging problem. It could be either a bad "Trombetta" or that the IRD is not operating correctly.

Dick Lucas, '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #9

Hmmm... we just put about 1200 miles on over the last 2 days. I constantly check the alladin electrical readings for both house and chassis batteries and they seemed to read just fine. all 12v is working and no drain.

I will try to post a pic of what solenoid I jumped. It is in the front bay driver side, behind the black cover for all the fuses, etc. bottom left. I had tested power in and out; in was 13 or higher while running the engine, out was less than that.

According to Jesse at Monaco, this is the salesman solenoid; so now I am confused. We did replace another larger solenoid last year in the electrical compartment, curbside where the large chassis and house shut off knobs are. that was because we were not getting house batteries charged.
still think I jumped the wrong solenoid?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
Hmmm... we just put about 1200 miles on over the last 2 days. I constantly check the alladin electrical readings for both house and chassis batteries and they seemed to read just fine. all 12v is working and no drain.

I will try to post a pic of what solenoid I jumped. It is in the front bay driver side, behind the black cover for all the fuses, etc. bottom left. I had tested power in and out; in was 13 or higher while running the engine, out was less than that.

According to Jesse at Monaco, this is the salesman solenoid; so now I am confused. We did replace another larger solenoid last year in the electrical compartment, curbside where the large chassis and house shut off knobs are. that was because we were not getting house batteries charged.
still think I jumped the wrong solenoid?
ok, you did by bass the "salesman" solenoid switch. However, that solenoid is not directly involved in the house battery charging circuit, so I'm not sure what you fixed. The large solenoid in the rear bay is what connects the house and engine batteries together when directed by the IRD. It senses that the engine batteries are above 13.3 volts for some period and then supplies the solenoid with a voltage to close that relay. I had problems with my IRD because the engine voltage was picked up at a point where it lower than the actual voltage because of a resistive drop. I was able to get it to connect by momentarily pressing the boost switch. I couple watch the house battery charging on the Aladdin. I fixed the problem with an additional relay that connected the IRD to a "hard" engine battery point.

Dick Lucas. '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I was able to put both red wires on to the same lug of the solenoid. This avoided the extra connections in the circuit.
I'm happy it's all fixed.
Two short stories: ON my coach when I pulled in for Propane I hit the "STORE" side of the salesman switch to turn off all 12 volt inside the house.. Worked too.... Then I hit USE after I pulled away from the pump.. No joy there at all.

Finally fixed the faulty switch by removing it (You need to remove power from it, IF I ever have to do it again Ill pull a fuse) and cycling like 50-100 times, then restoring and it worked.

Page 2: Was riding my Bicycle home once back in Battle Creek, Local carpet cleaner that used a truck mounted system with a Wisconson Motor (Gasoline) to vacuum up the solution was demo-ing for the School board (near my home) Alas, when they hit the START switch.. Wisconson just sat there.. Bad starter solenoid.. You described how I saved their day... Removed one of the cables (the motor side) and using pliars and gloves had them hit the switch (Needed Ignition 2 for starting) while I made the contact,, Broke contace when it started and they vacuumed the carpet... Alas, they did NOT get the contract... They were, however happy, cause they did NOT get hit with damages either,,, other than a new solenoid for,,, well, I pay more now days for dinner.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #12

got any pics of the process you did?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/bypa...id-143761.html

This is just one of many threads on the subject. Scroll down and you will see pictures.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, batteries, electrical, house batteries, power