Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #29
YC1

If you have 12 volts on all four posts on the left solenoid you are missing a ground on one of the little posts. Since the purple is often the color of choice for providing power to these relays you are missing a ground signal.

The little relay we diagnosed the other night works fine for everyones information. It is not getting a ground signal to function as I recall which is controlled by the white wire.

I would not mess with undoing the modification someone did by combining the two wires together on it. Not worth the headache at this time.

Since you are missing a ground signal to that large left solenoid it is probably related to the missing ground on the white wire.

I am thinking that fuse block with the black wire is a ground block. Yes I know it is unusual to fuse grounds but it is indeed done.

As for the lights that still do not work, take your voltmeter inside and find a ground somewhere and see if there is voltage on the bulb sockets. IF there is voltage on both sides of the sockets then they are switching grounds in that circuit which is a bit unusual in the 12 volt world but it is the way those front lights work on mine.

I have no struggle temporarily bypassing that large solenoid, but since it has power paralled with the other solenoid I believe you are probably missing the ground signal to it as well.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #30
YC1

Zooming in on the right solenoid I cannot see where the small wire on the right front terminal goes. IF it goes to the large terminal I can see why this solenoid is not working.

You can operate a solenoid with two 12 volt inputs. This can be a bit tricky if the solenoid actually grounds that terminal internally to the case but I suspect that wire may go to the mounting bolt of the solenoid.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
YC1

Somehow my thread had not updated showing you got the overhead lights working. As I suggested the other night, fixing the most obvious first and eating this elephant one bite at a time is easier than trying to figure out why numerous things are not working.

Strange as it is, I have found multiple problems hundreds of times over the years that are unrelated but seem to happen at the same time. Gremlins.

I am still very interested in why those two relays are not being signaled on. Once you have some warm time down here in Florida you might want to check it out.

This has been fun and you have been a great student.

Joe is a retired teacher. Thanks for all you have done for us. This is my way of giving back.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club

I've enjoyed reading along.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:29 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Myron and others,

The purple wire in my coach going to the Battery Cut-Off Solenoid is a ground wire connection. It is activated using a SPST switch up by the entry door. There was a 12 VDC positive wire on the solenoid which I removed. This solenoid was a continuous duty solenoid.

Can't say for sure that the purple wire in their coach is the same but that's how Monaco did mine.

Monaco used grounds to activate a lot of stuff throughout the coach most of which are white wires, eg. brakes lights. Discovered that when installing a Electric Brake Controller. Had to install a relay to change the brake light signal from 12 VDC negative to 12 VDC positive.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #34
YC1

Richard, thanks. RV snow flakes as usual. Later model Monacos run power to the solenoid via the purple wire. At least they stayed consistent with the color of the control lead.

I too found they use ground in some circuits to control them.

Just want to add so folks know that those two relays are NOT latching relays. After getting more info from Joe he indicated they are switching ground to them.

That adds up to his comment about having 12 volts on all four terminals of the left solenoid. I suspect he had the same readings on the right one. It looks like the small right terminal on the right solenoid is connect to the large left terminal. This would then show 12 volts on all for terminals when not activated by a ground.

Hence, the control ground message is not getting to these solenoids.

There is a fused terminal strip that actually fuses grounds along the right side. There could be a fuse blown there. I will take a closer look at his schematics now to see If I can find a path.

I know, I'm like a dog with a bone. I just can't let go of a good one.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #35
YC1

One picture tells the story.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relay.pdf (769.8 KB, 37 views)

Tags
electrical