Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #1

Electrical problem on our 2004 Monaco LaPalma

I posted sometime back about this but I can't find that thread so I'll start another. We bought the M/H in June and the radio never did work. I went on to fixing other things and finally got back to that problem. I even bought another radio thinking that the original Magnadyne had died. So, yesterday, I installed said new radio but still have no radio. I have no power to the radio. In fact, there is a strong chance there was nothing wrong with the original. But to my problem. I found that the interior fuse panel at the lower left of the dash is where the fuse is located. I tested it and it is good. All the fuses appear to be good. In the owner's manual, it states that there is a fuse panel in the bedroom that also has a fuse in it for the dash radio and there is something said about the dash radio not working if the bedroom radio is turned off. I don't understand that at all. Anyway, I've torn the dash instrument panel out and tried to chase all the wiring but I can't find anything wrong. I did find a lot of after market wiring in there and most of it has to do with the Viper alarm system. I want to rip that thing out just to get rid of a ton of wiring. So, I'm here begging for help. I've exhausted everything I can think of to check. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The model is a 37PCD. Can anybody give me any idea whether it would be ok to just tear that Viper out? I want it gone. Also, can anybody clarify how the dash radio is supposed to operate? There is a "radio" switch on the dash in the area of the radio and there is wiring to the radio with 2 wires both marked radio. Once appears to go to that switch. I'm not sure. I have a full set of wiring diagrams but unfortunately it doesn't go into enough detail to help.
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #2

Have you tried testing and tracing with a multi-meter? You can start at the radio and see if you have power at the hot wire. If not then move your way down stream all the way to the main fuse. Or start at the fuse box and work your way forward. It might even just be a bad ground. Maybe there is a bad relay in the circuit. Someone on here might have wiring schematic for the radio circuit.

Prior to owning a motorhome I didn't know how to use a multi-meter but out of necessity I learned quickly. It's fairly easy. A wire tracer is a good tool to have as well.

Knowing how to use a multi-meter is a must in my opinion, if you have an RV.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

Really easy to fix...

You can use just about any red wire in the dash to power the radio...for example, the one for the cigarette lighter...or from the rear view camera, etc...

Solder or splice that sucker and your done.
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Really easy to fix...

You can use just about any red wire in the dash to power the radio...for example, the one for the cigarette lighter...or from the rear view camera, etc...

Solder or splice that sucker and your done.
Beleive me, that idea has crossed my mind. But, unfortunately, I'm the type of person (OCD) that must have everything right. It is going to be the death of me. I'm 77 years old and over the last 2 days, I've had my body in positions that I never thought I would ever see again. I really want to figure this out.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Have you tried testing and tracing with a multi-meter? You can start at the radio and see if you have power at the hot wire. If not then move your way down stream all the way to the main fuse. Or start at the fuse box and work your way forward. It might even just be a bad ground. Maybe there is a bad relay in the circuit. Someone on here might have wiring schematic for the radio circuit.

Prior to owning a motorhome I didn't know how to use a multi-meter but out of necessity I learned quickly. It's fairly easy. A wire tracer is a good tool to have as well.

Knowing how to use a multi-meter is a must in my opinion, if you have an RV.
I've got a meter and a 12 volt test light. I've tried to trace the wiring but it's all wrapped in black tape. And then there is the problem with all the aftermarket add-ons that have their own power needs. I've found fuses in very strange places. I've also found that many of the fuses become non-functioning if the "salesman switch" gets turned off. That had me pulling my hair out. What little I have left. I had power at the fuse and then it was gone. But in between, I have turned that switch off. That's another thing I'd love to tear out. No need for it.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #6

Mine has a bedroom radio switch. It actually turns on/off the dash radio. There are only speakers in the bedrm from dash radio. The switch is bedside next to overhead reading light switch. It will shut off the radio. If you have that switch, it may be why your radio is not working.
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #7

I believe there is a relay that swaps battery banks if the ignition is to off position. Sorry don't where it would be besides near radio maybe? But you would think one of the sets of contacts would work in normally closed position , connector/conections may be off/bad. Maybe an inline fuse from OEM radio is still patched in ?
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHSJMS View Post
Mine has a bedroom radio switch. It actually turns on/off the dash radio. There are only speakers in the bedrm from dash radio. The switch is bedside next to overhead reading light switch. It will shut off the radio. If you have that switch, it may be why your radio is not working.
Ours has that switch too and after reading the owner's manual, I was very confused as to whether that switch controlled the bedroom radio or both radios. I think for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to wire around that switch and take it completely out of the equation. I checked again today and I still have no power up front at the radio. I've checked every fuse I can find. I'm in the process of removing the Viper alarm system. I don't feel as though we need that and it just complicates things under the dash. I've got the instrument panel pulled loose so I can see down in behind it and I can also lay on my back and peer up at all the wires. I took the driver's seat out to allow me some working room also. I've studied a couple of videos on how to install that type alarm and am pretty comfortable in removing it. I will have to reconnect the start kill wire so the thing will start. Most of the wires are going nowhere anyway as they are for things that aren't on the m/h. Doors, trunk/hood etc. Wish me luck. I'll be needing it.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:49 AM   #9

Ray-

Here is a link to your thread from June.

At that time, you had power to the radio, because the display is working in the picture in your first post in that thread.

I would start by following the procedure in your coach's owners manual (link here), page 236:

Quote:
Turn the radio power OFF at the dash or in the bedroom.

NOTE: Turning the bedroom radio switch OFF will override the two dash switches.

Operation:

• Turn ON the house battery disconnect switch.
• Turn ON the house battery cut-off switch, located at the entry door.
• Turn ON the radio power switch at the dash panel and bedroom.
• To turn the radio ON, push the ON button.
• To turn the radio OFF, push and hold the ON button for approximately two seconds.
So, the switch in the bedroom for the radio must be "on" for the switch in the dash for the radio to receive 12V. The switches must have been in the correct positions in order for the radio to work in June.

If setting the switches correctly does not fix the problem, I would test for 12V at the radio switches, first in the bedroom and then in the dash. If no 12V to either switch, I would check fuse 18 on the house 12V panel shown on the upper part of page 305 in the manual.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Ray-

Here is a link to your thread from June.

At that time, you had power to the radio, because the display is working in the picture in your first post in that thread.

I would start by following the procedure in your coach's owners manual (link here), page 236:

So, the switch in the bedroom for the radio must be "on" for the switch in the dash for the radio to receive 12V. The switches must have been in the correct positions in order for the radio to work in June.

If setting the switches correctly does not fix the problem, I would test for 12V at the radio switches, first in the bedroom and then in the dash. If no 12V to either switch, I would check fuse 18 on the house 12V panel shown on the upper part of page 305 in the manual.
Before I say another word, I want to say "thank you" for staying with me on this. I recall that I had power at one time but since I first posted, I'have been working on other things in the coach and may have become my own worst enemy. I found that radio switch and may have not understood that it had anything to do with the dash radio. After reading the manual, I came to realize that it might have something to do with my problem. Anyway, I also read the part about the fuse panel in the bedroom that controls many of the coach's interior accessories. When I went to inspect that panel, I found that the #18 is blank. No fuse. And the legend on the panel says its not supposed to have a fuse. Strange. #16 does have a fuse and is listed as "radio" or something to that effect. Anyway, I truly appreciate what you suggested and once I get the alarm system removed and all the factory wires reconnected, I'll follow your instructions. Do you have any idea why the #18 fuse might be missing? Obviously the radio worked at some point in time. I'm not sure why/how the dash radio and the bedroom radio have anything to do with each other. The one in the bedroom is not of good enough quality that I will ever use it. Reception is terrible. And I'm in a very strong radio area in So. Cal.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #11

Socaltoolguy, I'd be careful removing the alarm system,,, it will give you way more headaches that the simple radio circuit did. I wouldn't do any removal without the original alarm wiring schematics and access to your coach wiring schematics.. MHO

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Socaltoolguy, I'd be careful removing the alarm system,,, it will give you way more headaches that the simple radio circuit did. I wouldn't do any removal without the original alarm wiring schematics and access to your coach wiring schematics.. MHO

CLIFFORD
I have found the original installation instructions and have watched a few videos that seem to relate to alarms similar. I have a wiring diagram too. If you have any information that might help or warn me off, I'd appreciate it. I know about the starter kill relay. What other things would should I be worried about?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:18 AM   #13

Ray-

Here's the scoop, as near as I can tell by my own testing.

1) The bedroom radio has nothing to do with the dash radio. It is a separate radio.

2) The bedroom RADIO switch has everything to do with the dash radio. If your coach is like mine, that switch supplies 12V to the dash radio.

3) Fuse 16 (the 5A fuse) supplies 12V to the bedroom RADIO switch. It's the same fuse number on my coach. Follow the label on your coach's panel, as the one in the manual appears to be in error.

Diagram:

Code:
          P         B                      R              R            R
          a         e       D              a              a            a
          n         d       a              d              d            d
          e         r       s              i              i            i
          l         m       h              o              o            o

12V --- Fuse 16 --- ON 
                       \
                        --- ON 
                   OFF         \
                                --- External 15A Fuse --- ON
                           OFF                               \
                                                              --- Circuit board
                                                         OFF
As to the purpose of the bedroom RADIO switch, I expect it's there as a convenience. Should you be listening to the radio before you go to sleep, that switch eliminates the need to go to the front of the coach to shut off the radio.

Also, if your coach is like mine, the sound from the front TV is wired to the AUX1 input on the dash radio. I expect this was done so that you could hear the front TV sound better than using the TV's internal speaker. Since you also can pass a video signal between front and rear TVs, it's then possible to have the radio playing the sound for both TVs through the ceiling speakers. In that case, having the bedroom RADIO switch let's you shut down the TV sound from the back. I have used our coach's TVs and dash radio in this fashion.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #14

Socaltoolguy, nothing special to warn you about, you have the bases covered with diagrams, I owned auto service centers and learned the hard way trying to disable alarm systems without diagrams,, it was common for a new owner to have their car towed in because the alarm system shut them down. yes there are starter relay lockout's but many go into engine control module wiring to defeat theft. Just be careful

CLIFFORDit
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, monaco, problem