Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #1

Electrical problem with TV's, surround sound & DVD

I have a 2003 Monaco Monarch Class A motor home. I was having problems with my front A/C unit and now I'm having problems with my 2 LCD tv's, surround sound system and DVD player. I have 120 volts to each of these outlets and I have no power to any of these units. All of my outlets show proper voltage and I have tried disconnecting these items and plugging them in to other outlets that I know work with no luck. I am thinking that I have possibly blown up all of these electrical units somehow?????? Two days ago I noticed that my power converter was extremely hot and smoking. Could this be the reason that these appliances all quit working or blew? (it has been 105 to 107 degrees here every day)

The power converter seems to be working fine now and putting out the proper voltage.

Does anyone have any idea where I can start trying to identify this problem? I have tried everything. I am plugged into my 50 AMP shore power which is in my shop where the motor home is kept when not in use.

Since it was so hot here we stayed in it a couple of nights running both a/c's the entire night.

I hate to think that I have ruined my 2 tv's, surround sound and dvd player (all brand new). Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe in Ridgefield, Washington
Joedonna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedonna2 View Post
I have a 2003 Monaco Monarch Class A motor home. I was having problems with my front A/C unit and now I'm having problems with my 2 LCD tv's, surround sound system and DVD player. I have 120 volts to each of these outlets and I have no power to any of these units. All of my outlets show proper voltage and I have tried disconnecting these items and plugging them in to other outlets that I know work with no luck. I am thinking that I have possibly blown up all of these electrical units somehow?????? Two days ago I noticed that my power converter was extremely hot and smoking. Could this be the reason that these appliances all quit working or blew? (it has been 105 to 107 degrees here every day)

The power converter seems to be working fine now and putting out the proper voltage.

Does anyone have any idea where I can start trying to identify this problem? I have tried everything. I am plugged into my 50 AMP shore power which is in my shop where the motor home is kept when not in use.

Since it was so hot here we stayed in it a couple of nights running both a/c's the entire night.

I hate to think that I have ruined my 2 tv's, surround sound and dvd player (all brand new). Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe,

This does not sound good. As one last test I would get a long extension cord and run it from one of your stick house outlets. Connect one of the televisions to that and if it still does not work then it sounds like the television got fried from over-voltage.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard that the Pacific Northwest had power problems recently with the extremely hot weather. The problems ranged from brownouts to power outages. My guess is that you suffered a power surge during the night because of these power issues. This surge of high voltage would burn out your listed electronics if you didn't have a Surge Guard or Progressive Industries unit. Call your insurance company. :(
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedonna2 View Post

Thank you.

JOe, I think you may have posted this in several forums here, That is not needed, Just one post to an original question works beter.

From the sounds of it your RV took an over-voltage hit. It may have been an open neutral.. Many folks plug into a 30 or 50 amp outlet in a shop only to find that those outlets are often 240 volts. your rig is designed for 120-0-120 volts..

If the neutral wire opens for any reason, or if you use the safety ground as the neutral (It is often 12ga where the other wires may be 8ag) you can wind up with a serious over-voltage issue on one or the other leg of your motor home

This can fry the power supplies in electroincs, overheat your converter (you are lucky it survived) and other wise cause damage up to and including a call to the fire deartment.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Check your inverter..the items you mention run off of it and if the buttons pop on the inverter these will go dead....there are two reset buttons on the front of the inverter...hopefully that's all it is...if you try power use an extension cord to go to power outside of the coach...If it works, it's the inverter circuit breakers.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
50 amp/120-120 volts = Good
50 amp/240 volts = Bad

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote