Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I just found a new storage yard that will allow me to run an extension cord to the MH...here is the question....it is often in the 20's or sometimes even colder here in the mountains of Arizona...we use the MH off and on, so while it is winterized now, we will be using it and returning in Jan/Feb..some of our coldest months.
If I step down off my 50A plug to a 30 to the extension cord, will I enough juice to run a small disc heater in the rig, and a light bulb down in the basement where the filters/pump is??
Or would I be better off with an extension cord with a splitter and then run a second extension to the living area for the heater, and another to the basement for the light bulb???

Any feed back appreciated........
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just found a new storage yard that will allow me to run an extension cord to the MH...here is the question....it is often in the 20's or sometimes even colder here in the mountains of Arizona...we use the MH off and on, so while it is winterized now, we will be using it and returning in Jan/Feb..some of our coldest months.
If I step down off my 50A plug to a 30 to the extension cord, will I enough juice to run a small disc heater in the rig, and a light bulb down in the basement where the filters/pump is??
Or would I be better off with an extension cord with a splitter and then run a second extension to the living area for the heater, and another to the basement for the light bulb???

Any feed back appreciated........
Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The 15 amp extension cord is the weak link. So it depends on the guage of the wire, the distance from the outlet to the coach and how many amps you want to draw.

Look at the heater and see how many amps it draws. The light bulb will draw about one amp. Add the two together and look up on the web how much line loss you will have for the length of the extension cord. If you are pulling less than 10 amps, you should not have a problem, even with a long extension cord. As the draw gets closer to 15 amps, then you may see some low current issues, but since you are not running a motor of any type, I don't think it would be much of an issue.

I will let the engineers fill in here if I left anything out.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Bruce,

In addition to what Luke said, I would recommend not using any extension cord rated at less than 20 amps for the purpose you describe. (That may sound like overkill, but it may give you a margin of cushion.) When considering cord length, also consider the length from the storage yard's plug back to where the power originates, as well as the likely condition and rating of the cabling used by the yard. You want to test the voltage under load and make sure it's up to par.

Lastly, you're probably planning to do this, but since you didn't say, I would strongly recommend that you re-winterize the motorhome when you return in Fan/Feb - at least winterize with air, and pour some pink antifreeze in all the drains and P-traps.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info! Robin: I would plan to drain the water heater and the tanks, but I think your right...blowing air through the lines and pouring antifreeze through the traps, etc. will help ensure I won't have a problem. I think I will leave teh ice maker off...the only other problem area would be the washer dryer!!
The distance from the plug is less than 20"...it's about one motorhome plus some away...but I'll measure it and test it as you recommend!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
No one directly answered the stepping down from 50A through the 30A to the extension cord from the plug...any problem with doing that???
Old 12-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
teofff,

I have a home in Prescott, AZ at 5900 feet elevation and have worked out some solutions you may be interested in.

While staying in Prescott (and not living in the coach)our outside storage area is 30 miles round trip from our house so guessing wrong on the forecast meant a bothersome trip out to the rig to take protective measures. I initially winterized but frequent draining and flushing when it was time for a quick trip to the desert were a pain.

First I discovered that a well insulated coach like Monaco builds will keep the water from freezing down to 26 degrees. The problem is that in the AZ mountains temps can sometimes, not often, but sometimes go down in the teens. If I knew that I was going to traveling in a week to 10 days I would plug in a extension cord and set the thermostat on the coach furnace to the lowest setting. The furnace would normally not fire often, the extension cord kept the batteries up, and propane usage was acceptable, so this was the easiest short-term solution and I never had a freeze up. Remember to set your power share to the lowest setting.

2005 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
InflatableBoats4Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by teofff:
No one directly answered the stepping down from 50A through the 30A to the extension cord from the plug...any problem with doing that??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That shouldn't be a problem for the distance you mentioned.

Also here is a quick and easy winterizing procedure that I use.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote