Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #1

Electrical question

Does anybody know what the little black box to the right of the piece of wood is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220831_222612.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	375147  
34pbdknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #2

34pbdknight-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IRD.pdf (63.7 KB, 26 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #3

My Mom's rig is fairly basic, no bird or anything like that. Hers has a similar little box and is a delay relay that energizes the solenoid after the engine is running and the alternator starts outputting voltage. The solenoid connects batteries together so that they all receive charge from the alternator..
Old 09-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #4

It's a BIRD, without the B.

A BIRD charges bi-directional

A IRD charges one way, chassis to house while on the road.

Both are voltage sensing controls. If your house batteries are stone dead, it won't let them suck your chassis battery so low that the engine controls suffer or the headlights dim.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:56 PM   #5

Electrical question

So if I'm understanding this it means if the IRD isn't functioning then both banks of batteries won't charge while driving down the road because it's not talking to the continuous solenoid which allows those batteries to charge simultaneously or to keep the chassis batteries from draining to far. Hoping my explanation didn't confuse everybody.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pbdknight View Post
So if I'm understanding this it means if the IRD isn't functioning then both banks of batteries won't charge while driving down the road because it's not talking to the continuous solenoid which allows those batteries to charge simultaneously or to keep the chassis batteries from draining to far. Hoping my explanation didn't confuse everybody.
Correct !

Keep in mind that the IRD is a low failure item. The continuous duty solenoid is a high failure item. The internal contacts get burnt, so although it it sounds like it's working, no current passes thru it.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:30 AM   #7

Got it! Thanks for the education. I just replaced the continuous solenoid because the old one was not passing thru and was heavily corroded. There is another solenoid in the FRB under the driver's area. What would be it's function and what would happen if it's not functioning?
Old 09-03-2022, 01:29 AM   #8

In front electrical bay mine is tied to key ignition & accessories then over to smaller block of fuses in the panel , later years they went two or three relays. So if it was to fail ,it wouldn't start , no wipers other various items only work with key on, I think my jacks control power . There's not huge load on it like battery combiner so don't read lots of failures.
Quote:
Got it! Thanks for the education. I just replaced the continuous solenoid because the old one was not passing thru and was heavily corroded. There is another solenoid in the FRB under the driver's area. What would be it's function and what would happen if it's not functioning?
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
that solenoid on mine is what is commonly called the 'salesman switch'. There is a switch near your front door that controls it.

That solenoid controls interior lights and other 12 volt items. It's very common for someone to bump the switch and not know it. Many have bypassed the solenoid by connecting the 2 larger cables on it together.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
that solenoid on mine is what is commonly called the 'salesman switch'. There is a switch near your front door that controls it.

That solenoid controls interior lights and other 12 volt items. It's very common for someone to bump the switch and not know it. Many have bypassed the solenoid by connecting the 2 larger cables on it together.
It's proper name is " Battery Disconnect or Use / Store or Main Battery " switch.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #11

I have read that about the salesman switch. Thanks gentlemen for the info.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #12

It looks a lot like the IRD, which delays the charging of the house batteries until the alternator current has dropped to prevent alternator overload. The engine batteries are always charged by the alternator. When the IRD senses that the engine batteries have reached about 13.3 volts for 30 seconds or so, it sends a signal to that large solenoid which connects the house and engine together. If the house batteries aren’t being charged, that solenoid has bad contacts or the IRD isn’t sensing the correct voltage.
The “salesman” solenoid is different, as it only disconnects part of the 12 volt loads in the coach. It allows you to turn off all the lights and discretionary loads when you leave the coach. They are two different solenoids.

Dick L. 04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical