Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
The Engine in the 99 Dip was a 5.9 275 hp Cummins Engine.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
ebay $600
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check with a Turbo rebuild shop. I had many turbo's rebuilt on OTR trucks.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #102

I don't want to question anyone.But are you guys sure the turbo is trashed,if so how can you tell. I have the same exact mh year and engine. Mine did the exact same thing I was told by some that the turbo was trashed, it showed no boost pressure no signs of smoke would only go about 20 mph. I took it in to diesel shop and found it to be a turbo sensor gone out. less than $200 repair. just be sure before you purchase new turbo.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #103

I suggest taking it to a cummins repair shop to verify unless you can specificaly tell us how you KNOW ?? not what other party tells you !!
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #104

Ok, I am an ASE Master Technician with over 40 years of experience. I removed the air inlet to the turbo and attempted to spin the turbo impeller. It was tight then loosened up then tightened up again. I then moved the shaft from side to side and had excessive play in the shaft which tells me the bearings are gone. Would you like to armchair quarterback it any more? If so drive over to his motorhome and crawl under it like I did and perform the same tests and checks that I did then post your results. If not, let it go!
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #105

Triple E Owners Club
Good thing the turbine didn't blow apart. Easy for the motor to ingest the pieces.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Good thing the turbine didn't blow apart. Easy for the motor to ingest the pieces.
How easy is it ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #107

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
How easy is it ?

40 years working on diesels.
I'm sure you know.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Ok, I am an ASE Master Technician with over 40 years of experience. I removed the air inlet to the turbo and attempted to spin the turbo impeller. It was tight then loosened up then tightened up again. I then moved the shaft from side to side and had excessive play in the shaft which tells me the bearings are gone. Would you like to armchair quarterback it any more? If so drive over to his motorhome and crawl under it like I did and perform the same tests and checks that I did then post your results. If not, let it go!
I think there is a GEICO commercial in here somewhere.
We don't have 40 years experience working on diesels but most of us own both a motorhome and an armchair. Armchair quarterbacking is what we do.

If you'll allow me to mix metaphors. . .
With so many blind squirrels on this list, someone is almost certain to find the acorn. slemnah - Since the rest of us are blind, we didn't know that you can see.

Thanks to everyone for a very entertaining (and informative) read.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I don't understand why you are so upset with someone questioning what you found or you sharing them.

The OP said " Its blown, apparently "

There are many followers of this post with knowledge of turbo charged engines and know that there are different ways a turbo can fail.

Your findings may help others in diagnosing low power issues.

I applaud you for your efforts to help the OP, but sharing the findings is what makes this fourm work.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #110

That's funny! Thanks for the laugh! I apologize if I offended the writers of the comments. For the record, I wouldn't have made a diagnostic opinion like this without having checked it out personally. I did let the OP know that there is a Cummins dealer in Oxnard that they could tow it to. I did check to make sure that the exhaust brake was free and moving as well as checking to make sure the waste gate was closed. When the engine was running I removed the hose to the boost gauge and there was no boost under acceleration. I then pulled the air inlet off and physically inspected the impeller for movement and side play. Just wanted to air this out!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #111

Twinboat, what upset me is that the comments didn't ask what steps I used to come to my conclusion, instead they wanted to challenge my diagnosis. If you look in the comments you will find that I made a few "armchair" comments myself and was incorrect with my assumptions until I went and looked at it myself.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #112

Tiffin Owners Club
Some times being the NICE guy comes with criticism!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loss of power, monaco, power