Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
EMS - load shedding

Still learning my Dynasty. Not long ago I discovered the rig took precedence for the washer over the cooktop. I just learned today that the washer also took precedence over the rear AC. This makes no sense because the washer is taking precedence over two other circuits. I have not yet discovered any other shedding...so far. I know I would rather eat and stay cool rather than wash clothes. I also noted the total amps (via Aladdin) was about 30 amps. So to me it makes no sense that any load shedding should be going on. Any explanations or fixes for this nonsense?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #2
YC1

Down load the manual and simply move those circuits in the load shedding panel. If you are not comfortable doing this get help because it could be dangerous and expensive.

One additional thing the EMS may do is seeing 30 amps for three hours will cause it to shed circuits at around 26 amps. At 30 amps you are on the edge of the limit so it reduces the loads to keep things cooler.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

For the '06 Dynasty, the washer/dryer, the cook-top and the rear A/C are on the top half of breaker #6, and is a 20 amp breaker. The "EMS" piece of this is, I believe, solely to allow three loads, each in the mid to high teens for amperage draw, to share the same 20 amp breaker.

The reason the washer/dryer takes precedence over the A/C is because the amounts of time that the W/D require enough current to be a problem may be intermittent and short, whereas the A/C load is constant until comfort temp is reached. Otherwise on a really hot day, you'd never be able to wash clothes. As for the cook-top, that seems strange. I would think it would take precedent over the other two loads rather than the other way around. It turns out that their drawings support my thinking.

One of my drawings for this shows there are two relays involved. The feed from the breaker enters the first module. There are two outs, with one going to the electric stove, and it shows that it is primary. The other out goes to the second module, and it shows that it is secondary. So the cook-top should have priority. There are two outs on the second module, with the one going to the washer/dryer, and it shows that it is primary. The other goes out to the rear A/C, and it shows that it is secondary. That makes sense for the reason I mentioned above.

It says these devices are next to the washer/dryer receptacle, next to the main breaker box, behind the TV or under the bedroom wardrobe, depending on the specific coach layout.

If your washer/dryer has priority over your cook-top, absolutely, you might want to swap the two load cables on the first module and see if that fixes your issue. They may have mis-wired it so that the loads on the second module had priority. Other than trying that, I would not suggest modifying how your breakers are feeding your loads. They squeeze a lot of capability into a minimal pair of panels and minimum number of breakers and it would be easy to create new problems.

If you can get ahold of Monaco Tech, you might ask them for drawings #38031173, #38010096 and #38010098. They could probably email those to you, electronically. One is a pretty complete drawing of the loads on each breaker and how they are fed. One is a drawing of the two modules you are dealing with. The third is a drawing of how the two breaker panes are interconnected and fed from the inverter. Great resources!

As for load control systems that limit total coach power draw to keep from tripping the pedestal breakers, our '06 Dynasty does NOT do that. We have to be energy conscious or we will trip them.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Any explanations or fixes for this nonsense?
Move to a 50A site before it gets hot
Old 02-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Move to a 50A site before it gets hot
Thanks Ben, you are always helpful 😀
Old 02-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

No worries

Always happy to help an ex National RV owner !
Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #7

In case you didn't know and missed Ben's point , load shedding only takes place
when on 30 amps or less .

No load shedding on 50 amp .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #8

NOTE! The devices we are all talking about are load "shedding" devices that allow multiple loads to be served from a panel circuit breaker that would otherwise be too small. It allows two or more large loads to be served from one breaker, where two or more breakers would otherwise be needed. The do NOT care whether the coach is plugged into a 50 amp, a 30 amp, a 20 amp or even a 15 amp shore power supply. All they do is protect the conductors to the loads they serve.

On the '06 Dynasty, the only shore power overload protection that exists is in the Magnum inverter/charger controller. There, a SHORE power setting can be selected. ALL THAT DOES is limit the amount of AC that can be used by the charger to maintain the batteries. The charger can easily draw 10 amps or more which only leaves room for one A/C unit and some small loads if the coach is on a 30 AMP supply. The 30 AMP setting on the Magnum will limit that to perhaps 5 amps. On the 20 AMP setting, it will limit the AC draw to perhaps 3 amps. And so on. It does NOT do ANYTHING to keep the total coach draw under the rating of the shore power supply breaker. THAT IS UP TO US!

Some older, really high end coaches, and perhaps newer technology coaches may have systems that can keep total coach loads under the supply pedestal rating, but the '06 Dynasty at least DOES NOT.

If you want to test yours, and you are on a 30 amp supply, try running all three air conditioners and then turn on a hair dryer. If one or more of the A/C units shuts down and everything else keeps working, your coach has true load management capability built into it.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
In case you didn't know and missed Ben's point , load shedding only takes place
when on 30 amps or less .

No load shedding on 50 amp .

Ray
Sorry Ray, not true. This is an all electric coach with 240v dryer.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post

If you want to test yours, and you are on a 30 amp supply, try running all three air conditioners and then turn on a hair dryer. If one or more of the A/C units shuts down and everything else keeps working, your coach has true load management capability built into it.
Your never going to run all 3 AC's on 30 amp.

The only way I've ever got 2 to run on 30 amp, is with my Hughes Autoformer, and shutting absolutely everything else off, including the battery charger.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

My bad
Sorry I missed that you had a Dynasty and thought you were talking about an
Intelectec load shedding system like on my Windsor and lower Monacos .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
NP Ray, I would have told you the same thing a month ago.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Your never going to run all 3 AC's on 30 amp.

The only way I've ever got 2 to run on 30 amp, is with my Hughes Autoformer, and shutting absolutely everything else off, including the battery charger.
My Dolphin would run two with it's ancient EMS.... not much else of course.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Jim and Myron,

Thanks for the info... still digesting it. My 2 boxes do not have the same breakers as labeled. I also have opt equipment that is also not listed on the box... more to study there two. Right now I'm searching for the Magnum local controller for some manual adjustment. Thanks!

Tags
ems