RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #1

Eng Comm Failure, Trans Comm Failure

New chassis batteries and since then when I turn on ignition it all sounds and looks normal until I get the above messages. I can hear a static-like noise (short), then the dials all go up and down and repeat as tho' trying to "boot" up.
The engine will not turn over or respond. Batteries are fully charged.
The coach was stored inside, plugged into 50 amp service and the chassis batteries were not in place during the winter. Problem is since new batteries. It is wired correctly.
All other functions seem normal.
Any help out there.
Thx
DaleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 03:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In order to get the best help, you should put your year, manufacturer chassis, engine type and model of your RV in your signature. Otherwise people are shooting in the dark.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleR View Post
New chassis batteries and since then when I turn on ignition it all sounds and looks normal until I get the above messages. I can hear a static-like noise (short), then the dials all go up and down and repeat as tho' trying to "boot" up.
The engine will not turn over or respond. Batteries are fully charged.
The coach was stored inside, plugged into 50 amp service and the chassis batteries were not in place during the winter. Problem is since new batteries. It is wired correctly.
All other functions seem normal.
Any help out there.
Thx
Make sure you have re-connected all the wires that were attached to the batteries. On many Monaco motorhomes there is a dedicated wire, about 16 ga, that connects directly to the chassis batteries to power the processor in the Allison transmission.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

I agree with Bob. You have probably forgotten to connect a 10 or 12 gauge red wire to the positive terminal and it is laying loose.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:03 AM   #5

Did not miss any wires and yes that wire is connected.
Monaco Camelot 2009 Spartan Roadmaster Chassis.
Thanks.
DaleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #6

In the back run bay where the electric is did you happen to move the front - back engine start switch?
koole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

The fact that the dash is lighting up is good news. I am not familiar with your particular coach, but many run on a CanBus network (Communications failure) and you might have had a moment when connecting up the new batteries that it had a flakey connection at first.

I would
Remove shore power
Turn off the Master Disconnect switch
Disconnect the NEGATIVE cable from the battery bank and leave disconnected for 30 minutes.
Reconnect the negative cable.
Turn master switch ON
Turn ignition switch ON and monitor dash for a moment to see if it comes up with any codes.
Try starting the engine.

This is the proper way to force boot your system - and literally every other system I am aware if.

I hope this helps..
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I agree with Bob. You have probably forgotten to connect a 10 or 12 gauge red wire to the positive terminal and it is laying loose.
I agree with Mike and Bob.

While attempting to diagnose a chassis battery solar charge issue I have I disconnected wires one by one from the chassis batteries to determine their use. Disconnecting one wire, a 10 or 12 gauge white wire, created the symptoms you have described. "I turn on ignition it all sounds and looks normal until I get the above messages. I can hear a static-like noise (short), then the dials all go up and down and repeat as tho' trying to "boot" up. The engine will not turn over or respond."

Reconnecting the wire resolved the issue.
Jim
2007 Dynasty Queen IV
DynastyJim is offline   Reply With Quote