Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Engine AC compressor squeal

We just returned from a week long trip and as we started out on the trip, I would hear a squealing noise (for a few seconds) from the engine compartment at startup. We’re home now, and I moved the MH today and the squeal returned and stayed on for more than 10 seconds.

When I turned off the dash AC, it would stop. When I turned it back on, it returned. It looks like a problem with the AC compressor. Does anybody have any advice on how to further diagnose the problem or recommendations? Is it the AC clutch? If it is, can it be replaced without recharging the system?

Our MH is a 2005 Cayman 36 PDQ with 20k miles on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My coach has a separate belt for AC, is it tight? If its just 1 serpentine belt the same goes. I overcharged the refrigerant in a car I had and it caused the pump to slip the belt when turned on, then would run fine, I released the pressure and all was well.
Hope it's that easy.
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think the belt is a single serpentine and replaced last summer. The tensioner could be going soft but is that a common failure mode for them?
Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
" Is it the AC clutch? If it is, can it be replaced without recharging the system?"

Yes the A/C clutch can be replaced and it will not affect the charge!
You can try to tap on the clutch with the motor running, A/C not on, to see if you can dislodge the clutch dust! Take a air hose and blow it out good also! That may work for you, but I would get a replacement clutch and belt anyway, as you will need it sooner or later! Rail!
Old 07-08-2019, 04:51 AM   #5

You can rub some bar soap or spray the belt with a bit WD40. To see if it's just the belt it will quite down. If its the clutch and or its bearing.You can rent AC clutch puller from Autozone and other parts stores.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Would the squeal be caused from the clutch slipping or from the compressor starting to seize up and the belt slipping?
Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreifels View Post
Would the squeal be caused from the clutch slipping or from the compressor starting to seize up and the belt slipping?

First thing I would look at is the condition and tension of the belt and for proper installation.

If adjustable and loose ....you can adjust it as necessary.

If it uses a spring loaded tensioner? you want to make sure that the tensioner marks are in the correct place once the belt is installed.

Most spring loaded tensioners have marks on them with an arrow to make sure that the belt is the correct length so that the tensioner can work within it's tensioning range proberly. IMC ther should be marks like this one here ( pic for example only ) 
Name:   248015_5_38.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  13.7 KB

The squealing noise is on startup only? that leads me to believe that it may not be a compressor issue or clutch issue. ...I would be looking at what other accessories that belt may also be driving.

Happy Hunting
Old 07-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
First thing I would look at is the condition and tension of the belt and for proper installation.

If adjustable and loose ....you can adjust it as necessary.

If it uses a spring loaded tensioner? you want to make sure that the tensioner marks are in the correct place once the belt is installed.

Most spring loaded tensioners have marks on them with an arrow to make sure that the belt is the correct length so that the tensioner can work within it's tensioning range proberly. IMC ther should be marks like this one here ( pic for example only )

The squealing noise is on startup only? that leads me to believe that it may not be a compressor issue or clutch issue. ...I would be looking at what other accessories that belt may also be driving.

Happy Hunting
It will be a few days until I can check out the marks on the tensioner. But it squeals only when I turn on the AC, and stops when I turn it off. I'm just hoping its not the compressor
Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Update: Now there is no squealing at startup or any other time. We just returned from a 400 mile trip using the AC and had no problems.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreifels View Post
Update: Now there is no squealing at startup or any other time. We just returned from a 400 mile trip using the AC and had no problems.
Is the belt reasonably tight? I don't have a tensioner on that belt. The compressor is on a swivel and you can tighten the belt by rotating the compressor.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #11

Keep in mind serpentine belts don't need to be very tight ...with having 4-5 even as many as 6 ribs, they have plenty of bite and overtightening it can quickly take out the a/c compressor bearings the compressor itself and any other accessories that the belt drives.

If you don't have spring-loaded tensioner ..you should be using a tension gauge to set the tension but many of us don't have a tension gauge and the reason for me saying use caution not to over tighten when tightening if it's adjustable.

I suspect a spec of rust or other contamination on one of the drive pulleys.

IMO Inspect the belt and pulley if looks good go with it ..you be the judge.

Happy Trails
Old 07-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you suspect a slipping belt, get a spray bottle of water and give it a spray on the ribbed side while it's running.
It will quiet down immediately if it's a slipping belt.
This will work on a noisy belt as well. Sometimes a bit of sand will get in the grooves and make noise also.
It's an old trick we used in the truck repair business for years. Simple and free.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

Gates gives away a special little plastic tool to test serpentine belts to see if they're worn.

A mechanics stethoscope can also find squealing bearings.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I do have a spring loaded tensioner and I replaced the belt last summer after we purchased the MH.

We live not far from two gravel pits and have a fair amount of canyon winds in the morning carrying a fine dust with it. The squeal started after setting outside from February until June. With the squeal gone now, I'm hoping it was just the fine dust on the belt and there is no upcoming failure

I'll update if anything changes. Thanks for the suggestions/help!

Tags
compressor, engine