Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbstewart View Post
+ battery cable connects directly to starter. A cable from that supplies current to power strip located on front wall of engine compartment under the bed. That strip has 6 or 7 20amp auto reset metal fuses that feed to other components. The top one was a direct feed to sensing connection on my alternator.
Ron, I may be misunderstanding what you have done. But the voltage sensing terminal needs to have its own DEDICATED wire going straight to the battery terminal. That terminal on your alternator is measuring tenths of a volt to make its output adjustments. NO current should flow along that path except directly from the battery post to the sensing terminal. Logic would say that you could attach it to some other location that is fed by a heavy wire. I've been through that learning curve. The alternator's sensing terminal ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY has to have its own wire going to the battery post. Otherwise, your charging will never match what the BATTERY actually needs. Not trying to be pushy, but a very knowledgeable Hehr tech explained that to me in detail and sent me diagrams. When I described my problem (pulsating voltage from the alternator) he said, "Bet your voltage sensing wire is attached to the starter cable or some other point besides the battery post. I hear it all the time. It's the most common mistake made when changing from an externally regulated alternator to an internally regulated one."

If you have run that dedicated wire directly from the sensing terminal to the battery post, please disregard this post. Glad you got your problem fixed. Yes, there are some really helpful folks on this forum.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I hate to hijack this thread but I am in the same boat. I purchased a remanufactured Hehr powerline 190amp alternator. I have a 91 dynasty with 5.9 cummins.

I installed the new alternator, did brand new connections, wired it all up to a new external regulator.

Used Hehr's own wiring diagrams. No charging at all.

Monaco doesn't have any diagrams for the alternator before year 1995.

Would anyone have a wiring diagram or pictures of their wires I could use for comparison! Appreciate it!

My build thread is in my sig.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91dynasty View Post
I hate to hijack this thread but I am in the same boat. I purchased a remanufactured Hehr powerline 190amp alternator. I have a 91 dynasty with 5.9 cummins.

I installed the new alternator, did brand new connections, wired it all up to a new external regulator.

Used Hehr's own wiring diagrams. No charging at all.

Monaco doesn't have any diagrams for the alternator before year 1995.

Would anyone have a wiring diagram or pictures of their wires I could use for comparison! Appreciate it!

My build thread is in my sig.

Cheers
Daniel, I'm just guessing here, but check that the "IGN" (?) terminal gets +12VDC when the ignition switch is on. Most of the old Hehr alternators were "externally excited". Also check that the "Voltage Sensing" terminal is wired directly to the POS post of the battery and NOWHERE else. Other than that, I can't think of anything that relates to a new installation other than mis-wiring.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Daniel, I'm just guessing here, but check that the "IGN" (?) terminal gets +12VDC when the ignition switch is on. Most of the old Hehr alternators were "externally excited". Also check that the "Voltage Sensing" terminal is wired directly to the POS post of the battery and NOWHERE else. Other than that, I can't think of anything that relates to a new installation other than mis-wiring.
Yep, everything is getting voltage. Ripped open the 'reman' alternator and looks like it's been sitting for a few years.

Sending it off and having it rebuilt again tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Ron, I may be misunderstanding what you have done. But the voltage sensing terminal needs to have its own DEDICATED wire going straight to the battery terminal. That terminal on your alternator is measuring tenths of a volt to make its output adjustments. NO current should flow along that path except directly from the battery post to the sensing terminal. Logic would say that you could attach it to some other location that is fed by a heavy wire. I've been through that learning curve. The alternator's sensing terminal ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY has to have its own wire going to the battery post. Otherwise, your charging will never match what the BATTERY actually needs. Not trying to be pushy, but a very knowledgeable Hehr tech explained that to me in detail and sent me diagrams. When I described my problem (pulsating voltage from the alternator) he said, "Bet your voltage sensing wire is attached to the starter cable or some other point besides the battery post. I hear it all the time. It's the most common mistake made when changing from an externally regulated alternator to an internally regulated one."

If you have run that dedicated wire directly from the sensing terminal to the battery post, please disregard this post. Glad you got your problem fixed. Yes, there are some really helpful folks on this forum.
I'm checking the dedicated wire thing on mine tomorrow.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, charging