Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Go to Harbor Freight and buy the small 12v trickle charger for a little over $20. It can be mounted inside the high amp cage. Run a 110v cord from the outlet where the block heater plugs in. Connect the DC leads to the chassi positive terminal nearby and the black lead to ground.Works perfectly.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgauger View Post
Go to Harbor Freight and buy the small 12v trickle charger for a little over $20. It can be mounted inside the high amp cage. Run a 110v cord from the outlet where the block heater plugs in. Connect the DC leads to the chassi positive terminal nearby and the black lead to ground.Works perfectly.
If this is a suggestion to work around the bad battery tempture sensor, the sensor controls the house battery charging too.

If the sensor is bad, they don't get the proper charge either.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #45

Ok this is what I am seeing as of this morning.

1) New BTM unplugged, house float charging at 13.3 to 13.4
2) Chassis down to 12.39, no Big Boy engaged
3) Did not start the engine but pushed the “boost” switch.
4) The Big Boy latched in and both banks are in float charge at 13.3

All above was at 08:00 this morning and they are both still charging at 12:00. Haven’t started the engine to see if the BB latches in but fairly sure it will. Haven’t dug down to the B.I.R.D to start checking inputs and loose wires yet. Next step. Any input from anyone whose had similar issues
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #46

Update,
Not 100% sure all the issue is solved but found there is a small CB (15 amp) labeled B.I.R.D relay on the main DC bus located above the relay. It was tripped. Reset but the BB was latched so no changes. Believe that was it as I have had all of the batteries out recently doing a complete rebuild and replacement of the trays. May have upset it. Will shut everything down and kill both disconnects and bring everything up to check but at this point I think everything is back to normal or as close as it gets. Thanks for everyone’s input as it all helped with the troubleshooting and understanding the operation of it. Will post if this doesn’t work and I have to dig any deeper.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #47

Last update,promise. The chassis batteries charger for 2 days so I shut everything down to include the disconnect switches. Heard the BB relay drop out and everything stabilized at about 12 volts. Waited a bit and brought everything back up in sequencer. The charger went to 14.1 but more importantly the BB relay closed as it should and is charging both banks. Thanks to everybody for the input but I am calling in the dogs and this hunt is over. On to the next adventure
Old 08-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Will do more research tomorrow and try to get a part number of the B.I.R.D but from what I’ve found it looks like the cut in is at least 13.3 so the 13.2 I am seeing may be the problem. Will post when I get a little more information

I think you will just have to crawl underneath and thread it 25 ft. I did mine. Did not need to jack the rig. I just raised the air bags. There is a surprising amount of room over the rear axle and tag. No so much under the rest. I drilled an access hole in front of rear axle to get the wire inside the compartments. Was not nearly as difficult or dangerous after that. Bring a large handful of zip ties when you go underneath. Work from rear battery compartment forward. Follow existing wire bundles. Mine took about an hour to install. Did not chase the old one. Just cut it off and leave it. You will get plenty dirty. Good luck
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, engine