Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

The literature on my (new to me) 1998 Dynasty with Cummins 325 engine alludes to an engine block heater. In the engine bay, there is a capped-off male 120V plug. When it is plugged into a 120V source, I can hear a sound like a coffee pot makes before it starts perking (sizzzzllllee). Afraid to let it stay energized until I can feel the results. I don't want to let the magic smoke out if I am doing something wrong. I know that the head gets warm when my water heater (AquaHot system) is operating and assume the so called "block heater" applies heat somewhere else?? Anyone familiar with these systems?

BTW, it was great finding this forum. I promise not to be the first one banned for asking multiple dumb and dumber questions. My limit is ten or fifteen per day. :-)
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Retired Senior Member

The literature on my (new to me) 1998 Dynasty with Cummins 325 engine alludes to an engine block heater. In the engine bay, there is a capped-off male 120V plug. When it is plugged into a 120V source, I can hear a sound like a coffee pot makes before it starts perking (sizzzzllllee). Afraid to let it stay energized until I can feel the results. I don't want to let the magic smoke out if I am doing something wrong. I know that the head gets warm when my water heater (AquaHot system) is operating and assume the so called "block heater" applies heat somewhere else?? Anyone familiar with these systems?

BTW, it was great finding this forum. I promise not to be the first one banned for asking multiple dumb and dumber questions. My limit is ten or fifteen per day. :-)
Old 10-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ron, don't feel bad about asking dumb questions. (no question, if you don't know the answer, is dumb) I'm too bashful to ask, so I have to lurk and hope someone like you asks and I read everyone's answers.

Thank you!!!
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
Retired Senior Member

<grin> I think I'll just plug this in and see where the smoke comes out. Then I'll be able to answer instead of ask.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

I was told the only dumb question is: "Would you please make a special point to audit my tax-return in detail?" So, you're not even close yet!

From what I understand about the operation, the block-heater helps to prewarm it on colder days for easier starting. Your AquaHot is doing the same thing, I presume. Now, what constitutes a 'colder day', I'm not exactly sure. I've heard temperatures of "anything under 40", as well as "if it's freezing", and even "if you'd feel more comfortable wearing a jacket" (that one helps me not at all - I get cold at 65 degrees!).

I believe the block-heater has an automatic cutout that would prevent it from overheating and cooking the engine. Wow, what a hibachi that would be.

Perhaps others with more cold-weather and diesel experience will chime in here too.....

Personally, I'm looking forward to living where this discussion would be a completely moot and theoretical point

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Yeah, I guess a good clue as to the the plug's function and usage would be that it is secured to the 120V receptacle by a plastic hanger. It just screams "PLUG ME IN"! Took me almost two years of ownership to notice the thing though. I have found the paperwork, schematics and documentation to be kinda "iffy". Had a fuel valve issue and broke out the one-lines. They were beautifully done and bound in a nice folder. Trouble is they were generic to "all Dyanstys" and more confusing than assisting. A good wire tracer, digital voltmeter and some luck has hopefully solved the problem. :-)
Old 12-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #7

On our 1994 Dynasty I have a block heater. It plugs into a 110 outlet back of the engine compartment. I am sure it does not run through the inverter. I live in northern Idaho, and before we leave after Xmas I will leave it plugged in when the temp goes below freezing. I have done this since new and it has not hurt anything. I plug it into an 110 outlet in the motorhome building. I am not sure about it running through the inverter, so I plug it to an outside source. Does anyone know if it runs through the inverter. Thank Larry
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Larry –

I would suspect that your block heater does not go thru the inverter, it doesn't in my '06 Endeavor . Electrical heating-elements like that are notorious for being power-mongers. Same for the frig, most of ˜em aren't going thru the inverter.

Let's just say for argument's sake that the engine heater is rated at 1000-1500 watts at 120vac - or somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-13 amps, which isn't very much if you're using shore power. But those same 1000-1500 watts at 12vdc (from the inverter) means it's sucking down your batteries at the rate of 80-130 amps/hr. Now, I may be wrong on the actual draw of the heater, but you get the general idea.

If you need the heater for a ˜short while', I suppose you could run an extension from an inverter-powered circuit in the coach. Or what about firing up the generator and using it?

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Aquahot engine heater feature. There is a switch for it on the Aquahot panel. Gets the engine water temp up to about 150 in a couple of hours.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #10

Ron I do run it with the generator until I get to warmer temps. I still run an extension cord from the gen to the block heater. I have an plug in that does not run through the inverter in the coach. It also puts a nice load on the generator. Thank again Larry
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:18 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

My aquahot system heats the head even if I do not turn on the engine-heat pump. I would prefer to save that energy but don't seem to have the option.

If I recall correctly (take into account that it's cold here and I have a room-temperature IQ) the engine block plug drew 7.5 amps (850 watts or so).
Old 12-06-2006, 02:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks RonNBama for the correction. I wasn't exactly sure what I remembered mine was drawing, so I fudged it a bit

I recently got one of those 'Kil-A-Watt' meters (available at CW and other stores) that give a darn-accurate readout of exactly what an appliance or item is drawing. Went all over the coach and measured anything I could find or unplug (but I forgot the Block Heater, oops!), and wrote its wattage on the item. Now I know just how close I can get to becoming a blackout condition ( well, ok, at least I know what CAUSED it ).
I also have the Progressive Industries EMS-50C which has a digital readout of usage on each leg of the supply, but have found it to be a bit off. Talked to the folks there, and they sent me a new set of sensor-coils but they didn't seem to do much to help. Otherwise, a great product.

Stay warm, y'all!!

Old 12-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #13
Retired Senior Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:

I recently got one of those 'Kil-A-Watt' meters (available at CW and other stores) that give a darn-accurate readout of exactly what an appliance or item is drawing.
Stay warm, y'all!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I bought a couple of those meters too. Handy gadgets and according to my Fluke, deady accurate on voltage at least.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ron, most block heaters are like a electric heat element for your electric water heater and will draw quite a few amps until what its heating warms up and a thermal switch cuts it off if it has one. As lone as there is no short to ground you should be ok useing that block heater.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote