Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Engine Brake Switch

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty. In order to use the Engine Brake I have to hold down the switch (on the panel to the left of the driver). I test drove a 2004 Diplomat and on that coach the switch could be left on.

Do I have bad switch or is this a difference between model years.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #2

I'm sure you have a bad switch, having to hold the switch on is a safety hazard.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #3

sounds like someone broke a switch and swapped out a momentary. Or, installed the wrong one at the factory and the previous owner never realized it.

I've often considered using a headlight switch on the floor, or a steering wheel mounted switch, because I find fishing for the current one way too much of a hassle without looking.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Little clear rubber stick on cabinet bumpers on the switches. Tactile feel so you don't have to look.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

Ask your question on Monacoers:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Monacoers/
While there ask Fred W about a foot switch, I believe he has one in his coach.
Mel
'96 Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have the foot pedal also, but for me the switch is easier to modulate. I guess that I will replace the switch. Where would I go to purchase the switch?
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #7

sigh - another gadget I never heard of - what is an Engine brake switch? Or rather - what is an Engine brake? I can guess what the switch is for !
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
sigh - another gadget I never heard of - what is an Engine brake switch? Or rather - what is an Engine brake? I can guess what the switch is for !
It may be a Exhaust Brake switch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Exha...ient=firefox-a
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The foot switch is momentary contact type, not a latching type. The idea is that you would hold down the switch when you need engine braking. I removed mine and ran the two wires up to the panel next to my left arm. I installed a lighted SPST switch in a blank spot. I find it works better for me and I can see at a glance if the engine brake is on or off.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #10

I guess we should know if we are talking about a Jake Brake or and Engine Exhaust Brake. Two different types of animals. My Jake Brake on the mh has both a two position switch on the arm rest console for selecting high (all 6 cylinders) and low (for 3 cylinders of braking). I also have a momentary foot pedal switch to activate it. This type of Jake Brake is programed in the ECU to come on when the driver pushes the momentary foot switch and cannot stay turned on. Because trucks have a clutch pedal and the driver has only two feet he cannot use a momentary foot switch so his comes on when he lets up on the gas pedal. Now if it is an engine exhaust brake then it activates differently and you turn it on with a switch on the arm rest console and the brake comes on when you let up on the gas pedal and can be left on all the time. This is the setup in the Freightliner I tow the race car with.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
With exhaust brakes, not engine brakes, older Monaco's had the momentary foot switch to engage the exhaust brake. Some had the TCM programmed to select a lower gear when the switch was stepped on. Some were not and you had to manually select a lower gear. Some owners had the TCM reprogrammed to select a lower gear if thier coach was not originally set up to do so.

Later, Monaco changed to a red dash switch, when turned on, would select a lower gear and turn on the exhaust brake when letting off the throttle (gas pedal.)

As the later setup is all or none, which I have, I chose to add the momentary switch in conjunction with the existing system. Now I am able to manually select a lower gear and apply the exhaust brake as need to control speed. For me, this is the best of both worlds, as I drive the mountains frequently.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
Do you have a switch marked "Retarder" either on the instrument cluster panel or on the side panel near the transmission controls.

If you search this forum for engine brake, exhaust brake, retarder, you should find plenty of posts on what they are, how they work and how to use them correctly and safely.
Jacobs manufacture both engine and exhaust brakes so their website should have info.

Other types of retarders incorporate hydraulic or electric units, sometimes incorporated in the transmission or additional units.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #13

engine brake

Recently replaced monentary pac brake foot switch with a on/off type ( maintained). Linemaster 491-DA. Now no longer have to ride my foot on pedal down hills etc. or reach over and activate [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]toggle [COLOR=blue !important]switch[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. Just one tap on or one tap off..for the PAC brake..

I learned that the 491-DA has not been made since 2008 but found a new one ebay for 20 bucks. 20 minutes to replace with orginal momentary one..

THinking of adding a light to dash to indicate when its on..so I don't have to look at switch on left control panel..
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The foot switch is now a "Dayton" brand and are still available.

Dayton foot switch

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake