Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Engine brake / trailer brake problem

Just got home from a 1500 mile trip,coach ran great.. Ocala Fl. To lexington Ky. There are some steep and long grades on 75 in Ten. I noticed when I put my engine break on down the grade my trailer breaks started to smoke... I think the problem is when I turn on engine break, break lights activate witch applies trailer breaks? Witch I think should not be on for a long or consistent amount of time. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? Thanks
Showman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The only think I've towed with my present coach is our Equinox. I have a Brake Buddy, which only works on reduction of inertia...not on brake activation in the coach.

Your brake lights certainly do come on with the engine brake. It seems your suspions may be correct. However, I suspect your brake controller system in the coach for any towed vehicle is setup to work with the engine brake as well as the brake peddle. I'm not that familiar with those systems, let us know which system is installed and I'm sure someone familiar will jump right it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine did the same. Fix was to rewire to the brake pedal switch. Was on a Monaco.

LEN
Old 07-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Your brake controller was not installed correctly. The brake light input to the brake controller must be connected to the brake light switch, not to the brake lights. You might need a diode to isolate the input so the brake controller will only be active when you are applying the brakes and not when the engine brake is powering the brake lights.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. My coach is a H.R. Navigator 2005. Break control tekonsha voyager. Sounds like something not hooked up right. Not sure why my signature with coach info not showing up?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
YC1

Welcome. Make and model in your signature will help.

Some RV's have the brake lights come on when the exhaust brakes kicks in. It would be easy to put a diode in the brake switch line if that is the issue. Some have reprogrammed the ecm to get rid of that option.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Most trailer brake controllers have a "Gain" adjustment. Just turn it down some and experiment until you get it correct.
If you ever need help stopping, you always have the trailer emergency brake lever.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showman1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. My coach is a H.R. Navigator 2005. Break control tekonsha voyager. Sounds like something not hooked up right. Not sure why my signature with coach info not showing up?
If you entered info in the " Edit Signature " page , you may have not seen the " save signature " box at the bottom of the page, if you close without saving the info just disappears.
Other members have trouble with signatures appearing when using a cell phone app.

My F/L chassis , activates the brake lights with the exhaust brake , many try to disable the feature , but I consider it a safety feature and preferable to listening to the 4 way flasher all the way down a hill where I'm slower than the posted limit. Diode would be my choice if a fully proportional brake controller wasn't working properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doide diagram 001 (465x640).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	168351  
Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Problem solved. Took coach to Detroit shop and engine programmed to not turn on break lights when engine break is on.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Winnebago on a Freightliner chassis. The brake lights come on when the engine brake is engaged. I prefer this since I use the engine brake all the time and it will notify others that I am slowing down. My toad brakes are only activated when I press on the brake pedal (which mostly occurs during the end of a braking session or during a panic stop).
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine, trailer