Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 05:46 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Engine compartment AC outlet

Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PLQ

This coach has an convenience AC outlet behind the dual engine compartment service doors. (The doors that give access to oil fill, coolant, etc).

Mine worked until a while ago, and I suspect a fuse. Does anyone know where the fuse for this (if any) would be located?

Joe
Joedarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedarock View Post

This coach has an convenience AC outlet behind the dual engine compartment service doors. (The doors that give access to oil fill, coolant, etc).

Mine worked until a while ago, and I suspect a fuse. Does anyone know where the fuse for this (if any) would be located?

Joe
Won't be a fuse. It will be a circuit breaker in your main breaker box. Per the NEC it should be on a GFI circuit but may not be. It should be fed off the outlet circuit from you storage compartments.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #3

Our '06 Dynasty also has a "convenience" outlet in the engine compartment. Cavie is right that it could be a problem with the breaker being tripped, or the GFCI on the outlet. On our coach the breaker is #3B, that also feeds the InstantHot and the dish washer.

BUT, that outlet is controlled by a switch on the dash for ENGINE HEAT or BLOCK HEAT. For that outlet to be powered, I have to have the engine heat switch turned on, at the drivers seat position. Is it possible that the engine heat switch could have been inadvertently turned off?
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
BUT, that outlet is controlled by a switch on the dash for ENGINE HEAT or BLOCK HEAT. For that outlet to be powered, I have to have the engine heat switch turned on, at the drivers seat position. Is it possible that the engine heat switch could have been inadvertently turned off?
Block Heat switch has to be On to power a relay for that outlet on mine also.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Block Heat switch has to be On to power a relay for that outlet on mine also.

X2 on the dash switch for the engine heat.
On my coach the switch actually controls a 12 volt to 120 volt relay to power the outlet. Behind the main service panel in the bedroom there is a small 6X6" electrical box that contains 2 of these relays, one for the water heater and one for the engine heat.

Also, depending on how your rig is set up it may also be controlled by the EMS to limit power consumption when plugged into a 30 amp outlet.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

I've never found a switch for my block heater outlet. I just leave it unplugged. Usually if I want to preheat the engine, I just use the Aquahot, which is turned on/ off from inside the coach.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

On all of the coaches I've seen, it is with the other chassis switches on the instrument panel. On our coach, it is in the group with the rocker switches for the docking lights, fog lights, battery boost, air dump, windshield fans, mirror heat, generator start/stop, AquaHot engine pre-heat, etc., and is labeled BLOCK HTR. And like Jim J said, it is probably actually energized from a relay behind one of your AC distribution breaker panel covers.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Yeah, don't have one. I also don't have an AH engine preheat switch on the dash.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #9

My block heat switch is at the drivers left just below the gear shift panel .

My 3 Aqua- Hot switches are in the kitchen
They are labeled Diesel , Elect and Engine Heat

I guess you could say each Monaco was custom built , no 2 alike .

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post

My 3 Aqua- Hot switches are in the kitchen
They are labeled Diesel , Elect and Engine Heat
Mine are also grouped on a 3 switch panel like that, mounted to the end of a cabinet, between livingroom and kitchen.
You don't want the engine preheat on while your going down the road, so the advantage of having a on/ off switch on the dash would be minimal.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedarock View Post

This coach has an convenience AC outlet behind the dual engine compartment service doors. (The doors that give access to oil fill, coolant, etc).Joe
It’s your engine block heater GFI outlet and it’s controlled by a switch on the left of the driver’s seat. Sort of like your previous problem... instead of plugging back in, turn the switch back on or reset the GFI outlet.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine