Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine Coolant Hoses for older Monacos

Maybe this post will help prevent another Monaco coach owner from the headaches I've been going through over the last 3 months. As you can see in my signature, we have a 2008 HR Vacationer XL diesel pusher with the 340HP 6.7L Cummins engine that we have owned since September 2013. Even though our coach only has about 20,000 miles, we experienced an engine coolant hose failure last Fall during a 3000 mile trip. We got it fixed at a truck stop and I called Monaco Parts to try to order a new set of hoses when we were back at home. They gave me the Monaco part numbers but told me the hoses were backordered. Since we had another trip planned to Disney World last November, we made that trip with the old hoses and I waited until after the holidays to start looking for more hoses.

When I called Monaco Parts in 2015, they told me that they no longer handled the hoses for my coach. They sent me pictures of the pipes used in the coolant system on my coach which also showed the rubber hoses and it told me the inside diameter of the hoses is 2.25". They could not give me a Gates or similar cross reference number.

To make a long story short, I got my MH back today from a local diesel mechanic shop after it was there for 3 weeks. Getting new hoses from the pictures was unsuccessful and luckily some numbers were salvaged from the old labels still on the original hoses. My coach has three sections of straight hose and three 90 degree bend hoses. One 90 degree hose attached to the thermostat housing and the other two bend hoses were originally an "S" shaped hose that was cut in half and are found near the bottom of the rear radiator and attach to what I think is the transmission cooler. According to the mechanic shop, the numbers below are all part numbers from O'Reilly Auto Parts and I believe they are Gates numbers. All my new hoses are silicone except for the one that attaches to the thermostat housing which was the hardest hose to find. Here are the numbers:
  • Straight Hose (3", 7", & 8" lengths; silicone) - #24836
  • 90 degree bends (2, silicone) - #28211
  • 90 degree bend by Thermostat housing (rubber) - #21944

Like I said earlier, I hope this information helps someone else. If nothing else, just be aware that it is not a quick process to get new engine coolant hoses.

------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

I've been in the heavy duty truck parts business all my working life. I have no idea why it would have taken your shop 3 weeks to find hoses. The straight pieces either silicone or rubber are available every where. The 90 degree hoses as long as the diameter is the same on both ends is also very easy to find. The S shaped, as you describe them would be harder. But can be made up using two 90 degree hoses with a piece of copper tube as a nipple in between.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stretch, I agree with you. The shop kept delaying work on the MH until they had hoses. It wasn't until I started calling them or going over there every day and pushing for some solution to be found that work finally started progressing. I really am torn as to whether or not I'll use that shop again but they are close to my home and one of only two shops in the area that can get the Cummins diagnostic codes.

----- Jim
Old 06-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Straight Hose (3", 7", & 8" lengths; silicone) - #24836

Did you mean (') feet instead of (") inches? I had a problem with my hoses and found a place that sells hoses near the Coburg, Ore. Monaco Service Center. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, inches is correct. My HR uses a good bit of metal pipe in the engine cooling system.
------- Jim
Old 06-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is mostly rubber hoses some several feet long on our ISB. Thanks Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, monaco