Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Engine Gen warning lite on when running gen set

Have an '04 Monaco Dynasty with Onan 10kw genset. When running the Onan with the engine running the engine alternator warning lite and alarm stay on untill I turn off the gen set. Same thing when plugged into shore power. Any ideas?
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When plugged into shore power or running the genset, the Inverter (being powered by AC) is putting a charge into the house battery.

Your rig has a solenoid that shunts both house- and chassis- batteries together when the main engine is running. This is so the alternator can charge (or "maintain") both battery banks. So at this point you have two sources (alternator and Inverter) trying to charge the same batteries. The alternator's regulator doesn't know what to do about this....so the warning light comes on. No harm done, however.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
When plugged into shore power or running the genset, the Inverter (being powered by AC) is putting a charge into the house battery.
I guess that I'm confused. The converter not the inverter charges the house batteries even if it's combined in the same piece of equipment. If the inverter does have anything to do with the alternator, then it can be switched off and see if the warning lights and alarm go out. Maybe I just need another glass of wine and see if it becomes clearer.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What does the gauge on the dash say? Is your voltage normal?
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wannabe,
Wine does help! Sorry for the confusion.

The rig that you, me and Gumby own has an "Inverter" (capital "I" intentionally used herein) that provides two services: (1) an inverter function, and (2) a battery-charger (converter) function. The "inverter" -function is not what is causing the alternator light to glow, the "battery charging" (converter) -function is.

When the genset is running or when plugged into shore power, the "inverter" -function of the Inverter is not in use because there is no need when an AC power-source is present. The Inverter (capital "I") passes-thru the incoming AC power.

In the computer-networking-world, we have the Internet and the internet. But don't get me started!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I would start out by checking both your house and chassis batteries. Check specific gravity and/or get them load tested. You should not be seeing that alternator warning light on while the generator is running. If your batteries check out ok, go to the next step and try a full reset on your inverter/charger. Post back what you find out about the batteries.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I realize there's no harm done but if I want AC and start the gen set it's irritating to listen to the warning buzzer for a couple hours. I'm thinking either there's a control board in the coach or inverter/converter that should shut the converter off if the batts are being charged by the engine alternator. I was wondering if anyone had this problem and what solved it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
The batteries are fine. I posted earlier that I believe it should be a board in the coach or inverter/converter that should shut the charging function of the converter off when the engine alt is charging the batteries. I'll try the inverter reset and post the results.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gumby, sorry that I missed the fact that you have to listen to an audible alarm. So I miss spoke (above) when I wrote "no harm done."

As I write this, recall that I'm using "Inverter" with a capital "I" ... meaning that the Inverter is also performing as a battery-charger when AC power is available at its source. (FYI, I prefer not to use the word "converter".) So here goes....

My Xantex Inverter has a button on its remote panel where I can "tell" the Xantex to use less-and-less of the incoming AC power to charge the house batteries. Each push of this button tells the Xanex to charge at only 25 amps, then (pushing the button again) 15 amps, then (pushing again) 10 amps, with the last button-push setting the charge-rate at just 5 amps. This function comes in handy when my rig is attached to a 100-foot 15-amp drop-cord when I'm parked overnight outside a friend's house....and I need to manage the current that I'm sucking from my friend's house. [For others reading this, yes, I do have an EMS.]

So here's my thought:
If your Inverter has a similar "minimize-the-Inverter's-charge-rate" button, use this function to force the Inverter to the minimal charge-rate setting. (Note, of course, that the genset must be running.) Maybe by minimizing the Inverter's charge-rate, the alternator's regulator will not take objection to this second charge-source being present....and thus the dash ALT light and audible alarm doesn't occur.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Robi,
No my remote doesn't have that feature but I'm going to call Xantrex and see what they have to say. Probably will have to take out the inverter and send it in.
Phil
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A follow-up:
I found my Xantex user manual on line...and see that the reduced-charging-rate feature I was describing above is called "Power Share". Just FYI.

And an additional thought or two:
---WRT your "Probably will have to take out the inverter and send it in." --- I'm thinking that your Inverter is not doing anything wrong or failing you. Stated differently, there is nothing in your Inverter that needs repair.
---Final thought: Might there be a way to place your Inverter in an OFF state or into a standby state so that it is not attempting to charge the house batteries? By running the genset, you have AC power into the Inverter. There is a circuit breaker (probably in your load AC distribution center) for the Inverter...something like 30 amps I guess. Throwing that breaker to OFF will definitely turn off your Inverter (and its charging function)!!....and you can drive down the road without the ALT light and alarm.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, I could turn off the breakers, etc. but that's really not a fix. When I first got the coach you could run the genset with the engine running and there were no problems. Monaco told me at one time that there is a circuit board that "might be the problem" but I'd rather not spend $200.00 if that's not the cure. I was hoping someone else had had this problem and could tell me what fixed their unit.