Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Smile Engine Monitor

Does anyone know if Navastar Monaco Motor Homes have a OBD 11 Port? I'm looking into getting a electronic monitor that plugs into a OBD11 port so I can read EGT and Boost along with other vital temperature etc read outs. The one I like so far is EDGE INSIGHT EP-83730 with a CTS color screen. Putting in a PYRO gauge isn't too practical considering the length between motor and dash. Would like to monitor the BOOST. My 2011 Cayman doesn't have gauges for this info. Inquiring minds like to know what the Cummins ISB-340 is up too going down the road,or up a hill. Anyone have anything to say about the LS Performance "MP-8" PowerPlay? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

I recently installed a Egde CS in my truck and I can tell you that I am sure glad I had the piro (egt) probe installed. My shop (Imler Diesel) had informed me that EGTs higher than 1350 for an extended period of time could/would damage the internals in the engine. On our last trip I had to back off the power several times after reaching 1350. While the Boost guage is nice, if you can afford it, I would have the EGT probe installed.

p.s. My understanding it that all moter vehicles made after 1996 have OB11 ports. Prior to the most had OB1 ports.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel motorhomes typically use a different interface than OBD-II, either a J1708 or J1939. Look at the Silverleaf interface, VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc., that will hook up to your laptop using the VMSpc program.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

HD diesel engines do NOT meet the OBDII standard. They use an SAE connector and so far other than portable units that can cost more than $1000 there are no code readers. BUT like the above poster stated you can install the VMPC on a laptop. When we had our SOB, a 2002 Bounder DP, i had a special laptop table that I installed beside the pilot seat and used the VMSPC. It is awesome. You can design your own "dash" on the screen . Digital or Analog. You can also have warning signals and can decide which items you want to monitor. Somewhere on the net there are screen shots that different owners have designed.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got a cheap 7" screen netbook to run my VMSpc on. I can, if I want, also run MS Streets and Trips on it at the same time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
WOW looks like there is lots of good info on this subject. Thanks everyone for their input. I feel that the first thing I should do is to install a pyro gauge to measure the manifold temperature. Looks like I'm not going to get this data from the electronics of the Cummins Diesel Engine. I still haven't found a guage with a long enough line going to a probe (to be installed) in the manifold. Probably someone will come up with a reasonably priced unit for reading the information from a SAE connector. ( I wonder what Navastar Monaco uses or Cummins for easy read out of the engine vitals ). GunDog does your pyro probe connect to your CS Edge, or does it connect to a pyro gauge? If so what brand gauge and how long is the probe cable? This Motor-Homing is becoming a time consuming hobby, but I'm learning a lot. deSanford
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My EGT gauge came with the Banks kit, had to drill a hole in the exhaust manifold a few inches before the turbo and tap it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
WOW looks like there is lots of good info on this subject. Thanks everyone for their input. I feel that the first thing I should do is to install a pyro gauge to measure the manifold temperature. Looks like I'm not going to get this data from the electronics of the Cummins Diesel Engine. I still haven't found a guage with a long enough line going to a probe (to be installed) in the manifold. Probably someone will come up with a reasonably priced unit for reading the information from a SAE connector. ( I wonder what Navastar Monaco uses or Cummins for easy read out of the engine vitals ). GunDog does your pyro probe connect to your CS Edge, or does it connect to a pyro gauge? If so what brand gauge and how long is the probe cable? This Motor-Homing is becoming a time consuming hobby, but I'm learning a lot. deSanford
I believe the VMSpc can monitor manifold temp. Unless you have modified the engine you should not need to worry about it. If you have modified the engine be aware that you might damage your transmission. Our ISL is detuned to only 1200 foot lbs of torque because that is all the Allison MH3000 will handle safely.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know for sure if the VMSpc can monitor manifold temperatures? My ISB340 likes to go up the hills in 6th gear economy (in cruise). I read that the temps could be high and that I should drop down out of 5th and 6th gear and keep the RPMs up. I cruise up in 6th gear at about 1300 RPM. A pyro would confirm what I read. My "old" MH had a combo boost and pyro on the same gauge. I could watch the boost go up then the manifold temp would rise. At that point I would lift my foot and maintain the boost, but the manifold temp would go way down. That is why I'm looking for a way to monitor these engine functions. All the great input this thread is getting will help me and others reach a suitable solution. Thanks.........deSanford
Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Talk to Jon Brazel he can stear you right as he does the install and sells both VMSpc and the pyro.

LEN
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I have the VmsPc and run it on a netbook that I set on the dash in front of me while driving. It's small enough that it does not block my view, but gives me a "heads-up" display. With the use of VmsPc I don't need to use the in-dash gauges while driving.

A checked of the VmsPc configuator, I see that it has a option for Intake Manifold Temp, but didnot see Exhaust Manifold Temp. One should check with Silverleaf Electronics to see what options are available for a given engine.

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I received information from Jon Brazel that a "scan" device will be on the market that will work with my newer emissions engine computer. He believes it will read manifold temperatures. In the meantime I will drive more conservative up hills (4th gear). That should be the ticket. Again a BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT. deSanford
Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #13

My piro meter connects to the edge cs as the cs has built in guages. The cable on the probe is about 6'. What ever you get, I would make sure that it WILL read EGTs as I had no clue before I installed mine as I easily pulled the steepest hills and my engine/computer (ECM) never blinked or warned me my EGTs were way high.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First off, the port you're looking for should be down on the left side of the steering column, just under the dash. As "nodine" said, unless you hot rodded the engine, you don't need to watch EGT temps. The engine computer does all of that and will shut/slow you down.

I beleive the SilverLeaf product will do more than you want and it DOES monitor manifold temp. Here is a photo of my VMSPC running. The manifold temp is down in the lower middle right.

Here is a link on how I inexpensively setup (inexpensive compared to SilverLeaf's $1800.00 system) the SilverLeaf VMSPC program to run on my dash while driving. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/vmsp...ect-71163.html
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote