Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
We have an 04 Signature with a 525HP 14 Liter Detroit Series 60. This thing will pass anything but a diesel pump. We have not yet defeated the EGR. From what I have read, defeating the EGR will improve fuel mileage 0.3 to 0.5 mpg. We've averaged 5-5.5 mpg over the past 5000+ miles. Our cruise speed has been 65mph most of the time with a few excursions to the 75mph range. The mileage drops to 4.8-5.0 mpg at 75mph.

We pulled an 8300 pound diesel pickup for the first 2500 miles and have now switched to a much lighter Ford Explorer.

It's hard for me to keep the speed down on the Interstates, even using cruise control, because this thing just runs and rides so nice at 75mph.
Thanks for the informative post. Sounds like the Seris 60's are runners just a little on the thirsty side.

The ISM did turn out to be manufactured in Sept of 2002 and is pre EGR. Just afraid the small stacker I would like to get needs more torque. (assuming I can update the hitch and stay below GCWR)
MileHiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #16

A note on my stated mpg; I did not factor out generator or Aqua-Hot fuel consumption. Most of our travels have been pole to pole, but in warm weather the generator ran 100% of the time to run the 3 A/C units.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We have an 04 45' Signature Castle IV with the 515 Detroit Series 60 ERG engine. Got it with 71,000 miles on the odometer and now have 94,000. This engine is one fantastic workhorse. It really pulls, but does drink the fuel. We are running about 6.25 mpg ave. It seems to be most comfortable at about 1475 rpm-64-65 mph. We tow a 5300# Jeep GC diesel and don't even know it's there. Talk about a stable coach-this thing is rock solid at 65mph.

We crossed the Salt River Canyon on Rt 191 earlier this year. It handled the 7-8% grades and multiple switchbacks effortlessly with only a 10deg increase on engine temp.

I run with SilverLeaf VMSpc real time engine and transmission monitoring and you can see all the data change as the engine is running. It sure is easy to keep the engine running in the "sweet spot".

We're full timers and this coach is probably one of the best for full time living on the road.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote