Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Engine quit on my 2000 Diplomat

Coming back into my neighborhood after dumping the black/gray tanks my engine quit. On my scan gauge I’m getting codes

ID 18
FM 7
CNT 8

ID 53
FM 0
CNT 0

ID 117
FM 0
CNT 0

RV cranks but won’t start. I get fuel from the drains on both filters. Any ideas? Is there a master list for what the codes mean?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

Google first....

The neighborhood experts will be here shortly.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I haven’t had good luck with google on this. For a error code on a car OBD2 I can usually just google and it pops right up. But not for these.

I did find a big list and it said something about fuel for a 117 code, but I’m not sure it even applies to my engine.

I’ve cleared the codes with scan gauge, but when I crank it they come back.

I’m also getting the “warning” light on the dash, but no other unusual lights.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I understand that sometimes a ScanGauge code may not directly reflect what the actual Cummins-ECU code may be trying to tell you. I'd suggest checking with ScanGauge and ask them to 'interpret'.

Good luck !!
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I was browsing through my scan gauge owners manual and I didn’t see anything about codes and what they mean, but I might need to contact them like you said. I’ll start googling that too.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok so I called scan gauge and they told me to get the codes from bigdieselcodes.com

So

18= Engine Extended Range Fuel Pressure

53= Transmission Synchronizer Clutch Value

117= Brake Primary Pressure
Old 03-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #7

Rule out air, compression takes care of ignition(it was running).....FUEL.>>>ECU.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely going to check fuel first. I’m going to change the filters and make sure I have decent flow.
The lift pump still comes on like it should. No leaking from around it either. I believe the lift pump was changed by the previous owner at the same time as the CAPS pump. I’m not sure when that was, but I know it has a replacement caps pump.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #9

Have you checked your low coolant reservoir, that will also shut motor down.
Just a thought.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Since I did just install a new style reservoir with the Ford side mount low coolant sensor I thought about that. The coolant level is good and the wires are still hooked up to the sensor. I didn’t have a low coolant light on the dash either.

I did check to make sure that system works after I installed the new sensor and it does what it’s supposed to. I was actually surprised that the light stayed on for a minute or so even after I topped off the reservoir. Anyways, I’ve driven it probably a half a dozen times since I installed the new sensor.

I’m thinking that fuel pressure code might be a clue to what’s going on. I’m going to dive into it as soon as I get home. I broke down in my neighborhood, and I’m waiting for the tow truck. The roadside assistance coverage has paid for itself a few times already (twice in the RV).
Old 03-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I took off the primary fuel filter and the fuel looked pretty dirty. When I poured it out it was a blackish color and had some small chunks in the bottom. I only changed it about 100 miles ago, but I had added some Biobor before that since I changed my fuel sending unit at the same time.

I’m going to throw on a Wix filter that i can get locally, and order another pair of FS1022 to replace both.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a bad algae problem you better order more the a couple filters.

Besides Biobor I use Startron, which they advertise as an enzyme which is suppose to break the algae down.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #13

If it were me I think I'd want to pump the rest of the fuel out of the tank and replace with fresh unless you have a full tank. Has your coach been sitting a long time? Please keep us posted.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Back in December I changed the fuel sending unit. I emptied the whole fuel tank into containers and then filtered it before putting it back in the RV. I changed the fuel filters around the same time. It was about 50 gallons of diesel.

I’ve only been driving the coach about 5 miles a week, down to the local campground to dump the tanks. I’m still on the same 50 gallons of fuel. It has Biobor and Power Service treatment in it.

I added 10 gallons of new diesel today just to make sure the level wasn’t below the pickup tube for some reason. The generator kept running, so I didn’t think I was out of fuel. Gauge read 1/3, and now closer to 1/2 with the 10 gallons added.

I changed the primary fuel filter just now and still no start. I get the codes 18 and 53 right away. I can clear them and they come back before I try to start it again.

I’m not sure I’m getting enough fuel to the filters. The lift pump runs for 60 seconds or so, and I can hear it change in sound when the fuel hits it. But it does the same thing every time, like it’s losing its prime. When I open the drain on the bottom of either filter I don’t get a lot of fuel out. It kind of dribbles at first and then there’s a little stream. I’m not sure how much I should be getting out.

I did double check and there are no leaks around the lift pump.

I was driving slow when it stopped, around 15 mph. I was coming to a stop at a stop sign and it just died. It didn’t run rough or anything before hand.

Tags
diplomat, engine