Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #43

Funny how colors can make a difference

Are you sure that you have grey smoke or could it actually be more on the white side.
Always check your engine radiator and make sure it isn't frothy or have signs of oil mixed into the coolant.
Just sayin, That twuod be bader.
markusarilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #44

Sounds like a blown Head Gasket.
alajeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:49 AM   #45

Injectors

Got word yesterday that my white smoke was from "pure fuel" in the cylinders. Needs injectors. Looking at 4-5 grand to put us back on the road. We're not full timers but have travel plans.

Paul & Susan
DrPaulRMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #46

By any chance, have you checked your oil level? I had a similar issue with the white / gray smoke. It was the exhaust side of my turbo. The shafts broke and it was blowing whitish grey smoke and a complete loss of power. Just a thought!
sdejong491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #47

White smoke

In a Cummins shape manual there a trouble shooting tree
It tells you about smoke and color vs causes
White smoke is unburned fuel at start up .
You can have white smoke at start up as you say head gasket , but will 99 percent smell it out the exhaust sweet smell , it is also easy common sense
Do you use antifreeze ?

Injectors ..to have them all go bad on a Cummins is off , again water in fuel
Once you see water sensor go off and people, keep driving means 10 k
Simple number . Takes the fuel system out doesn’t matter if caps or common rail
White smoke can be cause by low compression in burnt fuel , I repaired so many engines over the years , that had new injectors installed and had a piston issue
Have them check blowby first ,
Again usually a simple infrared temperature gun on exhaust shut manifold ports
At start up can tell you which cylinders are firing .

Have them check blowby ..if high blowby , compression test or Boroscope it .
Sspdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:24 AM   #48

"6002286]By any chance, have you checked your oil level? I had a similar issue with the white / gray smoke. It was the exhaust side of my turbo. The shafts broke and it was blowing whitish grey smoke and a complete loss of power. Just a thought!"

Yes. Oil had just been changed and it was still pristine; perfect condition. Ours was pure white, so I was confident it was fuel related. I was hoping it was one of the sensors as this would be less expensive repair. Alas, it was an injector. I am having all of them replaced since the RV had sat for a while before I bought it. I should have put a fuel additive in it the first time I filled it. Expensive lesson learned.

Paul & Susan
Old 12-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #49

I have a Catapillar and and you are correct on the start up smoke & smells. Good question on the antifreeze. We are in Florida and do not plan any cold travel. We use antifreeze in our cars down here because that also protects in the heat.

The mechanic did say the same about the possibility of all going bad. However, I'm not taking a chance. It will cost less to have them all done now than to have one now, get stuck on the road (need a tow, hotel, etc.) and have them dive back into the engine for the same repair. Esp. at $175 an hour labor!

The mechanic agrees also on the blow back. He is checking for scaring on the cylinders in case any debris was ejected from the injector (metal tip, etc.). I shut down within a minute of seeing the smoke and it had not been billowing long. They ran it long enough to verify the smoke.

Thanks for all the great insights.

Paul & Susan

"In a Cummins shape manual there a trouble shooting tree
It tells you about smoke and color vs causes
White smoke is unburned fuel at start up .
You can have white smoke at start up as you say head gasket , but will 99 percent smell it out the exhaust sweet smell , it is also easy common sense
Do you use antifreeze ?

Injectors ..to have them all go bad on a Cummins is off , again water in fuel
Once you see water sensor go off and people, keep driving means 10 k
Simple number . Takes the fuel system out doesn’t matter if caps or common rail
White smoke can be cause by low compression in burnt fuel , I repaired so many engines over the years , that had new injectors installed and had a piston issue
Have them check blowby first ,
Again usually a simple infrared temperature gun on exhaust shut manifold ports
At start up can tell you which cylinders are firing .

Have them check blowby ..if high blowby , compression test or Boroscope it"
Old 12-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
This thread has now changed and you should start a new one.

Tim

Tags
engine