Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #1

Engine starting problem 2001 monaco dynasty

Stopped at a rest stop, after 20mins went to start up to leave and engine would not crank .... Half hour later it started.
dairybar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not enough information. What type of engine? Did you have dash lights, gauges etc? Did the engine actually crank?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #3

Engine starting problem

Brian, I think it is a cummins 350 hp. The engine would not crank at all, the batterys were checked with a meter by a fellow rver and tested fine. They are all only about 2 months old. Dash lights came on like normal but no cranking even with the battery boost switch. After about 20 minutes the dash radio came on by itself so I tried to start the coach. She started right up. I am thinking there must be a switch or relay somewhere that got stuck or over heated and after it cooled off she restarted. We are sitting at a cummins repair shop now in Jacksonville waiting for a tech to look at this issue.
Thanks Dave
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The radio coming on by itself makes me think it is an electrical problem and I would be looking for bad ground connections to the frame, engine, and, transmission. The scary thing is if it is working now the shop may or may not find anything. You can be sure these things don't cure themselves forever.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #5

Starting problem

For sure they dont fix themselves . I was thinking switch or relay because we were doing nothing but waiting for a repair guy when it started working again. We had already done all the first steps like loose connections and such.
Thanks for your advice, we will certainly recheck all the connections.
Hopefully we can get out of here and get on down to the Keys
Dave
Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Unless you left the key in the on position I personally don't buy the relay idea. A faulty switch or loose connection is my guess. Could also be a bad starter. The part with the radio is what confuses me it's like no electrical power then you have electrical power. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a bad ground to frame. First suspect would be engine ground but with radio involved makes me think frame. My radio is hot all the time, is yours? I've also had the negative post come loose inside the battery and do something similar.

I also had a car that acted like this with a loose alternator wire.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #8

How about a bad or failing ignition switch?
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dave one other thing to check is the cutoff switch in the back compartment as it has been a few of them to fail, pull the cover and have a look at it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma
Sounds like a bad ground to frame. First suspect would be engine ground but with radio involved makes me think frame. My radio is hot all the time, is yours? I've also had the negative post come loose inside the battery and do something similar.

I also had a car that acted like this with a loose alternator wire.
Yes my radio is hot all the time. I will go back and check all the grounds again.
Thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137
Dave one other thing to check is the cutoff switch in the back compartment as it has been a few of them to fail, pull the cover and have a look at it.
Thanks Walt, I will go back and recheck the cutoff switch. I did toggle them back and forth a couple of times but that didn't do anything.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #12

I have had some pretty wacky problems with the main power solenoid in the electrical distribution panel in the left front compartment. When it would go bad I would get all sort of weired electrical problems and sometimes it wouldn't start. Finally replaced it with a heavy duty version and I haven't had any problems since. If everything you and others mentioned checks out check that solenoid.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
So; was there any resolution to this problem yet? I hate it when you never hear an update.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #14

update

Brian, Sorry I didn't leave an update but this problem is still a mystery. I drove the coach to Cummins Power South in Jacksonville FL to have it checked out. After spending about an hour with a computer hooked up to the coach and checking everything they could think of, they could not find a problem. I do understand it is so hard to fix something that is not broken at the time. I have not had the problem since but I sure would feel better knowing what caused my trouble!
By the way I can't say enough good things about the fine people at Cummins Power South. If anyone needs service around Jacksonville I would give them a try. The tech was very thorough and even ran past closing time to finish this job.
Dave