Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Engine trouble

I was told by another Monaco owner that I could expect engine trouble (head warping) at about 50 K miles; I now have 32 K on my 2004 Cayman. Have any of you experienced this kind of trouble with a Cummins ISB 300 HP engine? I had never heard of this problem but this owner said it was a normal problem this engine had at the above mentioned mileage.
Thanks for any feedback.

Larry
lwc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Larry i have never heard of that!
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the guy who told you that overheated his engine.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Never heard of it. I have 123,000 miles on the 340hp ISB in my pickup with ZERO issues and have the ISB in my MH. None of my friends with high mileage ISB's have had any problems either. Just maintain it properly and don't worry about it.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

Haven't heard of that. Several people in my town with 150,000 to over 300,000 with nary a problem. Must have overheated it. Drive it and maintain it and don't worry about it.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

I have two pick up trucks, one with an older 5.9(280 HP) and the other with a 6.7(400 HP) Cummins. The 5.9 has over 240,000 miles and the 6.7 has over 140,000. Neither of these have had any engine issues. Another friend has a 5.9 that is putting out over 500 HP and he has not had any issues.
It all depends on proper driving/maintenance.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The highest 5.9 ISB mileage I witnessed was a fellow hauling scrape metal on a long flatbed trailer. He had a Dodge pickup, and he showed me his odometer 672,467 miles on it. He replaced two manual transmissions, but NO problems with Cummin's diesel engine. The scrape at this time was the Monaco plant in Coburg. Ore. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #8

I had a problem on a previous MH with the 1995 Cummins 12 valve 5.9 motor in that it started leaking water on the outside of the motor down from the head gasket area. I had 125K on the motor and it had never been overheated. This was behind the alternator and above the water pump. It gave all the indications of a leaking water pump because it ran down the block onto the pump. It took two years for it to get serious enough to repair. I talked to two different Cummins dealerships and they both stated that there was a problem with leaking head gaskets on this older model model and that Cummins changed the design of the head gasket and changed the procedure for torquing down the head. I pulled the head and had it trued and replaced the gasket and used the new torque procedures. Maybe some people are getting confused over this old known problem. I have never heard of a problem on the later motors.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to each of you guys, I appreciate the feedback very much. Like many of you I kinda fingured the guy overheated his engine but didn't want to admit it. Again, many thanks to all of you.

Larry
lwc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
And what ever problems one has with his engine does not mean everyone else should expect the same. Having said that, beware all Ford wind star owners as your transmission could fail prematurely. This one is true and not just because I said so
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I own a very busy diesel truck repair facility that my son operates for me. We maintain everything from diesel pick ups , motor homes, fire apparatus, ambulances, and otr trucks. We work on the ISB engine daily and have never seen a problem with cyl. head warping except in the case of over heating. It's a good engine. Service it properly and it will take care of you.
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote