RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #1

Engine will not shut down

I have a 2003 windsor with 90,00 miles great coach but problem is it can't kill the engine with the key, when you turn the key off the only thing that dies is the video camera,all dash lights stay on also, have spent countless hours with Monaco tech (phone ) and local tech on site and were still at a loss,have taken everything apart that has to do with the ignition from front to rear and still no luck ( Monaco 2 box, rear start box, ignition switch, check all fuses ).. Was just wondering it some of you old or young timers have ever run into this kind of problem before. Am currently shutting down with the chassis battery kill switch, any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Garry
2003 Windsor

Texasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #2

I'm not a diesel expert at all. so with that said, doesn't a diesel get stopped by shutting off fuel delivery (not spark)?

I'd ask Monaco about the fuel delivery circuit and what item shuts off fuel (if my supposition is correct, that is). That device might not be hearing the signal from the ignition side of the process.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #3

My first thought is that there is a relay that is not releasing when the power is removed from it. The ignition switch turns a lot of things on and off that its electrical contacts alone can't handle, so the switch turns on and off relays that can handle the electrical loads. I think a sticking relay somewhere might be the problem. You just need to know which relay to look for. You might try rapping the relay with the butt end of a screwdriver to try and release it.
Just a best guess at this time.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

Garry, Look on the back of the alternator wiring and find the two 5 amp fuses that are in the small black inline fuse holders that protect the ignition excite wiring and tach pulse wire. Pull them both and start your engine and see if it will shut off with the key. Monaco uses this field terminal to operate the alternator fail light on these newer engines. I found this out when I installed a different alternator on my coach. It started and ran but when I turned the key off it kept running until I turned off the disconnect switch. You should not have 12 volts at either one of these terminals on the back of the alternator when the key is off. Good luck, George 2001 Diplomat PBD
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #5

George, good suggestion but I don't think that applies in this case because he hadn't changed anything on the MH. It is most likely a relay that controls the fuel shutoff solenoid. Monaco tech should be able to tell you which one that is. Since it shuts down ok when chassis power is shut off means the fuel shutoff solenoid is working ok.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
George, good suggestion but I don't think that applies in this case because he hadn't changed anything on the MH. It is most likely a relay that controls the fuel shutoff solenoid. Monaco tech should be able to tell you which one that is. Since it shuts down ok when chassis power is shut off means the fuel shutoff solenoid is working ok.
Mike I have taking all the relays apart cleaning them check them beat them put them back together they all working fine,,now George I did forget to mention in my first post that I just replaced the alternator so that will be a good place to start looking in the morning thanks for the info. Will let y'all know how things turn out
Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

Ok Gary and George. Sorry didn't see that about the alt being replaced. Yes if so then it can sneak back 12 volts and keep everything running unless a diode is put in the circuit or even better is to install the correct alt.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #8

George i had the old one rebuilt so it's the same one that came out of the coach, I also have a new one on stand by. so i might try the old switch-a-rue if all else fails
thanks for all the input
Garry
2003 Windsor
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #9

The 12v fuel solenoid has failed. Try your engine manufacture not Monaco. Small item around $100.00 plus labor.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #10

It still could be the alternator. Take the main lead off the alternator and see if that
will shut it down. I think I had the same happen with a loader a few years back
a day or so latter we found out the alternator kept charging with the key off so
it kept everything running. I can't remember what we had to do with the alternator
to fix the problem. If the engine shuts down with the main shut off it is not the fuel
shut off
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #11

Not knowing how it is wired, it would seem if the dash lights are on it is probably not just the fuel solenoid.

I have the same problem in mine - it is intermittent, so I put a cut off switch in series with the main ignition solenoid. You can check it by just undoing one of the leads (takes a bit of courage, but fortune favours the bold). I eventually bought a new relay and replaced it, but I still have the problem but much less frequently. If it happens I jump out, the relay and the cut off are mounted in the electrical bay under the driver's window, and I flip the switch, I can hear the relay "clunk" and the motor dies and the power is off.

Here is what the part looked like on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid with Diod.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	70571  
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 AM   #12

ok guy's thanks for all the response without them i would still be stuck, but we did find the cause and i realty hate to pass the fix on but here goes....when i changed the alternator i got the two small wires mix around, like the song goes the one on the right was on the left and the one on the left was on the right problem solved. I should feel dumb but I don't me and the tech got a good $ 250.00 laugh and he went on his way. I took 10 photo,s of the alternator when i changed it out and oh well everyone have a bless day im still chuckling today

Garry
2003 Windsor
STAND STRONG IN GOD AND COUNTRY
Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I wish that some one would find that guy MURPHY and just lock him up someplace where he can no longer apply his law to us ever day backyard grease monkeys!
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I wish that some one would find that guy MURPHY and just lock him up someplace where he can no longer apply his law to us ever day backyard grease monkeys!

I here that