Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entrance Step Makes Roaring Noise

When the front door is using power to open and close, it just started making a roaring noise as he step fully extends... or as it reaches it retraction/closure limit. Can the worm gear being cracked or broken cause the motor to not immediately shut off. Or the motor continues to run for maybe 15 seconds and making a bumping noise? Thanks.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 09:00 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No, motor shouldn't continue to run for more than a second or two after the steps stop traveling.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This is the motor I got last year. Easy swap out, just be careful working under those steps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I guess I forgot that there is a small spider gear in the motor housing. That gear might be loose or broken. I will have to take it apart before ordering another one to be sure of the problem. Thanks for the recommendation. The picture shows that spider gear that could be missing a tooth. I didn't think the motor would continue to run. But, if there is no pressure on the closure switch, the motor might not immediately shut off. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was just in mine last week.

In the gearbox is 3 cylindrical nylon / plastic parts, that appear to be the sacrificial weak link. They fail, and save the teeth on the plastic gear.

When I opened mine, they had crumbled to pieces.

I got replacements from a friend who had recently replaced his motor/ gearbox assembly, but I've read you can buy these parts at auto stores like O'Reilleys.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I was looking at the number on the underside of the step motor, the number is 151332. That is a Kwikee number that was used in 02 when the Coach was manufactured. But, I don't seem to be able to find a cross-over number match. And the step is a single step. It looks the same as the one shown on Amazon that is referenced above. What would be the best way to cross it over to a recent Part? The reason I am going to replace it in lieu of repair...the motor appears to have a bad spot on the armature as well. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
After reading other electric step posts, I decided to remove the motor and gear box. It appears that over the years the wear has/is causing the small motor gear to jump the teeth of the large gear in the gear box. Since most of these parts are not manufactured very well(too much play from wear), I suppose as a preventive measure I will replace the gear box and motor. As I mentioned above, the motor seems to have a burned spot on the armature. Sanded the armature last year, but it's stalling again.

But now, Having a concern finding a gear box and a motor housing that is not made out of plastic that will match up. Any one replaced a step gear box that didn't have the square slot for the motor unit? Haven't seen a new gear box that still uses the spider type gear from the motor? Thanks

Tags
noise