Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

Entry Door

I am locked out of my motor home! 2007 Monaco Knight 40 PDQ. Shut door, locked the dead bolt and the opening handle lock. Went to get into the coach the next day. Door will not open. Both locks function and are unlocked.
Cannot see how to gain entry into the coach so I can hopefully push on the door from the inside to open the door.
How does one "break in" to his own coach without breaking a window and or damaging a window seal or some such????
Next; Will I be able to open the door (the screen door is shut too) from the inside so I can access the insides of the door to fix what is broken or became disconnected?
Will appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Lee
leeines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Happened to me also. Had to drill a hole into the window frame of the sliding window on the passenger side front slide. After drilling the hole use a coat hanger to push the lock up, slide the window open then climb in.

Takes a bit of patience. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
You might be able to one of those thin pry bars and gently pry the lock open. Protect the door frame with a piece of heavy cardboard.
Good Luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Call a locksmith.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Occasionally our screen door will stick. To exit the coach, we need to open both the exterior door and screen door handles. It gets worse or better depending on the forces on the coach chassis. Entering the coach, the screen door can stick causing us to use more force to get it open. Could your screen door be the root cause? Good luck.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes the upper and lower latches get out of sync (for lack of a better term), and one unlatches but the other one is still engaged.

Try pushing in on the door at the same time as you try to pull on the main door handle. We got pretty-good at kicking the door with our knee as we yanked on the handle... finally adjusted the latches and it opens smoothly now.

There are several threads on here as to how to adjust the latches.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Lucky for me I had left the drivers window unlocked. With a long pole I unlocked the door and got in.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #8

It happened to me and ended up calling a locksmith to physically break in.

Since then we make sure to leave a window unlocked when on trips , we then lock it at night.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #9

I leave the window across from the door unlatched. It is a smaller window, with a sliding screen, over the sink. If I have been locked out because the screen door was hooked and the outside door slammed shut from the wind, then the outside door latches onto the screen door and there isn't any way of unlatching/unhooking anything from the door side. So I slide the window & screen over the sink open, reach across the coach, with whatever poles I can tape together, and lift up the screen door hook. Then the outside door & the screen door open together.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We got the hide a key box that has a magnetic on it and keep a door key and an ignition key in it and keep it on top of the generator just in case.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
We got the hide a key box that has a magnetic on it and keep a door key and an ignition key in it and keep it on top of the generator just in case.
We got locked out with both sets of keys, it was the lock that broke.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #12

Happened on our Dynasty. We were able to jiggle one of the exit windows until the latch opened enough that we could slide a slim Jim into and open the window. The DW crawled through and opened the door.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #13

Try pushing the door in with your hand while at same time pulling again the door latch.
The door latch is out of adjustment. Meaning it doesn't unlock or move completely open until your door handle is all the way out. It needs to me adjusted were it releases about half way to 2/3 pull.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you can find a metal coat hanger, you can slip it through the gasket on one of your egress windows, and then try to snag the red handle and pull it up. The hard part for me was finding someone with a metal coat hanger......Bruce

Tags
door, entry door