RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Question Entry Door Exterior Latch Not Working

I have a 2003 Monaco Windsor and I'm in the Portland, OR area. I'm having a problem with the exterior door latch to the entry door. The handle moves freely with no resistance at all and of course will not open the door.

The door can be opened without a problem from inside. As you can imagine, this is not a good situation since we either have to leave the door open or one of us needs to be inside the coach to open the door.

When you pull the exterior door latch, it moves all the way with NO resistance what so ever. I've removed all the screws from the edge plate, removed the interior inspection cover, removed the deadbolt interior handle, removed the interior door pull. This allowed me to spread the interior door panel far enough to get a look at the inside of the exterior door latch. There is nothing connected to either side of the latch mechanism.

I don't see anything that looks broken, no loose or hanging springs or connecting rods and haven't found and loose parts inside the door. On the top of the latch handle there is round hole, but nothing attached to it. On the bottom side of the latch, there is a small bar attached to the latch with a rivet that allows the small bar to swivel freely but I don't see anything the small swivel bar attaches to.

I don't believe the long connecting rods for the upper and lower locks have anything to do with this problem because the door latch is not connected to any of the unlock mechanism, it just freely flaps between the open and closed position and will stop anywhere you leave it.

I'm looking for advice on how to repair the exterior door latch, how to remove the old one and install a new latch, where I might find a new latch. My coach has the key-less entry system with remotes to unlock the the doors so the door lock system is equipped with that. However, remotes have not locked or unlocked the door for quite a while, but they do still lock and unlock the bay doors.

I am really hoping some of you seasoned owners can provide me with information about how to repair this issue.

Thanks,

Preston

Recliner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2002 Windsor and have the parts diagram for my front door latch. Based on the information it looks like it is Trimark latch.

Here is a link to the parts manual but it will be hard to find the parts without my diagram.

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/sr/media/...ement_Rev5.pdf

I'll contact you off line

To be able to work on the door you will have to remove the inner door cover. To do this you will have to remove the window, it is held in with the inner window frame, use tape to hold the outer window in place while you are working on the door.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I won't say this is a common issue, but have heard of it a few times before. That parts-book is definitely golden! Thanks!

Once you get that panel off, it's a relatively-easy fix. Good luck.

Had this happen to a close friend last year. On theirs, it was the inside latch mechanism that broke and guy's wife was stuck inside. She was too panicked (I can't spell claustrophobic) to listen to us telling her to open the emergency window so we could get her out. Ended up breaking a window so we could help her. Very scary for all. They stayed in a motel that nite.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner22 View Post
I have a 2003 Monaco Windsor and I'm in the Portland, OR area. I'm having a problem with the exterior door latch to the entry door. The handle moves freely with no resistance at all and of course will not open the door.

The door can be opened without a problem from inside. As you can imagine, this is not a good situation since we either have to leave the door open or one of us needs to be inside the coach to open the door.

When you pull the exterior door latch, it moves all the way with NO resistance what so ever. I've removed all the screws from the edge plate, removed the interior inspection cover, removed the deadbolt interior handle, removed the interior door pull. This allowed me to spread the interior door panel far enough to get a look at the inside of the exterior door latch. There is nothing connected to either side of the latch mechanism.

I don't see anything that looks broken, no loose or hanging springs or connecting rods and haven't found and loose parts inside the door. On the top of the latch handle there is round hole, but nothing attached to it. On the bottom side of the latch, there is a small bar attached to the latch with a rivet that allows the small bar to swivel freely but I don't see anything the small swivel bar attaches to.

I don't believe the long connecting rods for the upper and lower locks have anything to do with this problem because the door latch is not connected to any of the unlock mechanism, it just freely flaps between the open and closed position and will stop anywhere you leave it.

I'm looking for advice on how to repair the exterior door latch, how to remove the old one and install a new latch, where I might find a new latch. My coach has the key-less entry system with remotes to unlock the the doors so the door lock system is equipped with that. However, remotes have not locked or unlocked the door for quite a while, but they do still lock and unlock the bay doors.

I am really hoping some of you seasoned owners can provide me with information about how to repair this issue.

Thanks,

Preston
Preston,
I have a slightly newer coach but I do have a trimark. Exact same thing happened to me today but I was locked out. I do hid a key so I was able to get the door unlocked. Once I did that, it seemed to reset the lock and everything has been working correctly ever since.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

outside door latch.

i fixed mine last week after being locked out for the 10th time I was leaving a window unlocked so I could crawl through and open the door from the inside. What I found on mine was the screws that hold the inside plate onto the inside of the door when tightened would pull the two halves of the door too close together making the little latch lever inside of the door miss the mechanism. I verified this by taking the thing apart and putting it back together what seemed like a hundred times. I found that after taking it apart , putting the lever in place and then putting the whole works back together that if I didn't tighten the screws too much it would still work. If I tightened the screws to a proper tightness the lever would miss and the handle would do the same as yours. I found inside of the door one of the square tubes that keep the door from flexing wasn't welded in place. I was able to wedge a two inch length of 5/8 pvc between the outer door panel and the inner door panel to keep the two halves from bending in towards each other when the screws are tightened. Hope this helps, it took me two or three days to figure out what was going on !
graddy0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This document came in real handy when I was locked out for the third time after slamming the entry door. I adjusted and lubed all the linkages and the door has been fine since. I got real good at climbing in the dinning table window,lol.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adjusting entrance door.pdf (338.7 KB, 140 views)
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #7

Smile Update to Latch Not Working

Well, I drove 2 1/2 hours one way to get a new latch assembly and got it installed. I still don't fully understand why my latch failed, but I understand how it works a lot better.

On my old latch, the swivel bar was not lining up with the keeper on the main plate of the mechanism that is held in place by the single nut that holds everything together.

As a side note, I did NOT have to remove the window frame and remove the inner door panel. I was able to put something between the door panel and the door to hold it out far enough for me to disconnect everything, remove the old latch and install the new latch.

all is good now.

Thanks to all who gave helpful suggestions.

Safe Travels,

Preston
Recliner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know if this will be any help to you but look at post #20. It might give you some ideas on what is supposed to be connected to what!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cant...-174975-2.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
curious as to the adjustment for the release point when pulling the outer handle. I have to pull very hard to open and release is at the end of travel. Latches do release at the same time but have to pull handle quite hard and all the way out. Afraid it will break and we will be locked out. Do you know if there is any adjustment for this? Or did you just require a new handle?

King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door