Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entry Door Handle Broken - Locked out

We are living in our 2002 Monaco Windsor and lately have had problems getting in the entry door because the handle kept sticking.
I took the little entry panel off the inside of the door and everything looked fine with the inside latch mechanism but the outside entry handle didn't provide enough throw to open the door easily.
Looking down in that little opening I saw what looked to be a turnbuckle.
With great difficulty I manage to get a small adjustment on the turnbuckle
and the door worked a little better for a few days and than it was back to the way it was.
I figured that I better unlock the drivers window just in case we were locked out. As it turns out it was a good thing we did because last night when we came home my wife tried to open the door and she heard a snap
and now the handle is blowing in the breeze, not attached to anything on the inside of the door.
We went and got our ladder and she went in through the window (she's smaller than me) and rescued us.
This morning I again removed the small panel on the inside of the door and
everything that was plainly visable looked good. When I got a flashlight and looked down in the door I could see the inside part of the door handle moving but was not attached to anything.

I would appreciate help with the following questions:

1. How do I get the inside panel off, has anyone here done it?
2. Does anyone know who the Mfr is or possibly even the model number.
3. Any idea how much it would cost to have it repaired if I can find someone that does this kind of work.

Any information and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil
dapperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Phil,
Without revealing anything you do not wish to reveal, you might try giving your general geographic location so that any number of persons of good will who are monitoring this board could offer assistance. I suspect that this is a very safe forum, but you need to satisify your own "index of comfort" with anyone to whom you send a PM, giving more specific information about your identity and location.
I know that if you are anywhere in Central Florida, I will do whatever I can to assist you... and I am pretty handy with this kind of stuff. Moreover, I don't frighten small children, dogs don't instinctively snarl at me and my picture has never been seen at the post office!
Best of luck to you, let me know if I can assist.
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #3

Phil,

I had a similar problem though mine did not break before I repaired it.

The picture shows the location of the plate that has the wear induced elongated hole. I made a "U" shaped clip that hangs in the hole (upside-down) that elevates the rod slightly. The hole supporting the rod with the turn buckle was not as worn and therefore adjustments to the length of it did not correct the problem. Your mileage may vary.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The problem maybe with the two long rods that go from the handle mechanism to the top and bottom latches. On mine I found that the lock nuts on the end of rods had backed off and the outside handles did not provide enough throw to activate the latches. Eventually the inside handle may no longer open the door.

To take off the inside door panel you need to remove the screws from the top and side of the door this will let you pull off the black metal strip that holds the inside panel. You will also have to remove the inside window frame. You can then pull the panel far enough away from the door get to the rod that activate the latch. Adjust the nut so there is no more than about 1/8 inch. Below are some pictures to show what screw need to be removed to get to the inside of the door.

You will need to remove all the screw along the latch edge and the bottom edge.

When you get all the screw out the frame will come off but the window will stay in place

Hope this helps PM me if you need more info
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Good man for your offer to help. I am also in Central Florida on the Gulf Coast SpringHill, Brooksville area. I will not be needing any help, I think I got the info I needed from Diplomat Dave and itdave.

Thank you Diplomat Dave the diagram you sent is is great and will be very helpful.

Thank you itdave for the great pictures, now I know what needs to be done.

Best to you all and safe travels
Phil
dapperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
dapperphil,
Man!! Those "Dave" types are something else!! That's what I call "going the extra mile" to help someone with a problem. This forum is such a wonderful place. I am humbled to be associated with people of this caliber.
I hope you are able to correct problem with such great information provided by these guys without the expense you were quoted. Safe travels!
Very sincerely,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here we are almost 8 years later and I found a pointer to these posts.
My door entry door handle just broke. Not the mechanism just the area where you put your fingers to open the door. I can use a finger or pliers to open the door and now I think I understand how to replace the handle mechanism.
TriMark support said they wanted a picture of the mechanism, on the inside, to determine what type of latch it is. I'm not really interested to remove the inner panel just to determine what to order.

Any suggestions is appreciated.
I am in Sarasota FL for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Larry K
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry and Suzette View Post
Here we are almost 8 years later and I found a pointer to these posts.
My door entry door handle just broke. Not the mechanism just the area where you put your fingers to open the door. I can use a finger or pliers to open the door and now I think I understand how to replace the handle mechanism.
TriMark support said they wanted a picture of the mechanism, on the inside, to determine what type of latch it is. I'm not really interested to remove the inner panel just to determine what to order.

Any suggestions is appreciated.
I am in Sarasota FL for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Larry K

That is the only way you are going to get the proper handle for your door. Went thru the same procedure.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #9

If your door seems to be sticking, here’s something else to check. The screen door is latched to the main door when you close the door. That way the screen door opens when you open the coach door. When you unlatch the screen door from the coach door, it is held closed by a tongue which is released into the screen door strike plate. That way, you can close the screen door and have the coach door for ventilationIf you look at the coach door you can see a small plastic piece screwed to the coach door that engages the screen door. Over time, that piece can shift and the screen door remains connected to the coach door and also to the door frame, effectively holding the coach door connected to the frame. On my coach, all that it took to fix was to readjust that plastic piece
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Phil, check out my post #20 in the attached link!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cant...-174975-2.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #11

My entry door handle broke and we left out in the rain on Valentines evening. Found a ladder and gained entry. Called Monaco the next morning and three days later we received the exact replacement. A different key of course. Oh and 145 dollars later. Made the rod adjustments. Never worked better.
niRVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Life saving post!

Door handle broke today, locking me outside alone 😝 have a remote camera, showed me what happened, ordered the handle but couldn’t figure how get the panel off. Thank for the pics!
Dave
Felix2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix2002 View Post
Door handle broke today, locking me outside alone �� have a remote camera, showed me what happened, ordered the handle but couldn’t figure how get the panel off. Thank for the pics!
Dave
Hi Dave! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #14

Ours was very difficult to open as well. I removed the inner panel and lubed every moving piece with silicon spray lube and it is working really good now. It was so bad the wife could not pull the exterior handle hard enough to open it. Do note that one of the screws (upper right when viewing from the inside is longer than the rest. What was happening is the interior lock was moving when you tried to open from the outside and was causing a bind. Good lube resolved it. Do not use anything other than silicon lube.