Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Entry step 2005 HR Endeavor

Well the darn entry step is dead [ Coach Step ] . I did some research and found out Lippert bought them but no longer make them. I don't want to beat this subject to death as i have seen many posts about this obviously poorly designed product. I checked fuse panel , front road side, and the 25 amp motor fuse and 7.5 switch fuses are good. Then took cover off switch plate on passenger dash and voltage is good at switch , one pole hot , both with switch on.Then metered input voltage at control box....good. Took off all grounds and polished them up. Last thing was checking output voltage from controller , not good.I ran an external 12V supply to the plug ,reversed polarity and step goes in and out no problem with no mechanical issues. So...........I am assuming that the small card in the controller box is toast ? Thought I would check with my fellow round bellies before I order a controller box as I'm slowly learning there is ALWAYS a hidden gremlin to trick a guy ! One last question , are the two posts on hinge side of door for the dang keyless entry FOB or is there job to activate step when door is opened or closed ??
Thank you for any input
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #2

I have the same steps on my '03 and had a problem with them earlier this year. They were "electrically" ok but binding mechanically.

After cleaning the grounds, removing the motor, lubing the mechanics, and reinstalling the motor, they are still working today. (knock on wood)

In 10+ years of Kwikee and Coach Step steps I've never had an issue with them electrically.
The Kwikee steps on my old gasser failed to retract one time before driving off and were bent up pretty good after that. I finally replaced them with a new set just before selling it (the gasser) last year with a shiny new set from PPL Parts.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had a problem a few weeks ago with my step, not the same trouble as yours but the step was made by Stromberg/ Carlson and I did see a control module for it at Stromberg Carlson Products, think it was about $130.00.
Hope this helps.
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The two posts aren't to control the step, they're for the keyless entry. The step gets its info from a magnetic switch buried in door-frame. You should be able to locate its location approximately by the round 'button' in the edge of main door, right at about face-level.

Had to replace 2 control boards, until I finally mounted the last one inside the coach - and out of the roadside crud/etc. It's been 6 years (out of 9) and no problems since. Coincidence? Maybe, but will never know. Just be sure it's not the motor - that's fooled me too. But they're a common Ford (IIRC) window-motor. Lots of talk here about that too.

Oh, and be sure you and all body-parts aren't under/in/near any step parts while checking/testing, those parts move much faster and are a lot stronger than our body-parts. You can guess how I know ;-(
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Since the motor always stops on the same place on the armature some times if they don't cycle it is because of a burnt spot on the armature. Try giving the motor a couple of good raps with a hammer to see if that causes it to take off. Be careful not to have any part of your body in the area of travel as these things can bite hard.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
X2 for the hammer approach. Worked for me twice this summer.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

Had my Kwikee steps stop working on me coming back from a long trip, worked fine all weekend until we stopped to fuel up on the way out. The steps were stuck in the extended position.

Removed pin in motor, tie strapped steps and headed home. Had the same problem you are mentioning RIDER FAN, no output on the module. Changed out the module and the step still would not work. This is when I noticed that the magnetic door switch had come dislodged from from the frame on the inside of the coach. Stuck that back on and the steps worked fine when door opens and closes.

The only problem I have now is that the "keep extended" option of the step is not working. Have no clue what else to do there.

May want to ensure the magnetic door switch is working. Good Luck.
knotthead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Was out at the Beast again today to check door magnets. I noticed a piece of steel about dime size on the door, about forehead high [ im 6' 1' ] and then on the frame of coach , directly across there is just a plate over a small square plastic box ? I took the plate off and persuaded the small square plastic box to come out , and the only thing behind it is the door structure ?? Is there supposed to be a contact point in this plastic box ? It is strange , does not look like anything was ever mounted there.
I also noticed a little higher then belt high , two yellow round things [ about the diameter of a nickel ] mounted on door frame and door respectively. The one on door frame has two wires going to it. The one on door was corroded and has no wire going to it. I am now officially confused to which is keyless entry and which is used for step control ? Do i have lost wires in the door ? .............4:00 .......... Beer break.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #9

Installed the Strombergh Carlson controller and the step is working perfectly. Looking at my old controller it was so bad as there was nothing to prevent the circuit card from taking the brunt of the weather. Really bad design. The new SC controller is very well sealed. ***
Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I love happy endings.... and the guy in the white hat rides off once again!!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Great, glad you got it working!
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote