Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
FD5

Entry Step is Out

Parked our coach in Dec. This morning when I was getting ready to take it for tranny service the entry steps would not retract. Tried the switch by the door and checked the fuse in compartment below driver seat. Is there a way to check the motor? It has a 2 in plug which I am assuming is 12V+ and 12V-. I don't know which is which and don't want to burn the motor up if that is not the problem. Motor #300-1406. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

FD5. I cannot tell you which is positive and when is negative because it alternates. It alternates as to whether it's going in or out. Unhook the wires from the control box and then you can take a + and a - from battery and just touch the wires. If it's not going opposite of way you need it just flip flop them. I've helped several friends diagnose step problems and usually it is the control box that's the problem. Hope this helps.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

You didn't identify the model but from the motor part number, you may have a Coach Step assembly..

Try this link for testing the electrical. (hope it copies for you)

http://www.strombergcarlson.com/pdf/...epElectric.pdf
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Whenever you work on that step, please remember that the motor can suddenly decide to begin to start moving. The motor, gearing and the scissor arms are way stronger than any body-parts that may be in the way.

(No need to ask me how I know)
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #5

Try whacking the motor with a hammer. I have the same motor that is dying and about to replace it, but in the meantime we can make it work by hitting it. Who knows, it might work for you as it has for us.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #6

Just a thought. The Coach Steps motor controller works based on current draw of the motor. If the steps are in a bind (nor moving freely), the controller will think the steps are retracted and not attempt to move them.

I would disconnect the power to the motor and dismount the motor (three bolts) and test the motor outside of the steps. Watch you head because the steps WILL drop when the motor is removed. (ask how I know)

Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FD5
Have had same issue several times, again yesterday. Question, if you activate the step do you hear a click in the control or motor? If so just loosen the three bolts holding the motor. Try to move motor up and down then try step. This always works for me. Retighten the bolts and wait for the next time. I took my whole unit off and greased transmission but it still binds up sometimes. Hope this helps, post results, I am interested to know if it works for you
Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
More basic. Did you start the motor or turn the key on? Did you close the door? If yes lube all points on steps. Then start the above suggestions.

LEN
Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
FD5

I got home to late last night to work on it. We left MS this morning for TX and stopped by the RV repair shop at 7am and they got the steps going. Steps were in a bind. Tech said the most likely cause of this is people using steps before they have fully extended. He said that this will happen again, it is typical of this motor and to tap the motor. And yes, they will open and close quickly so be careful. Thanks
FD5 is offline   Reply With Quote