Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Entry Step Problem - Cracking at Welds on Step Well

Had the 4 prong plug on the entry step go green with corrosion so I cut it off and connected everything direct. Works great! While I was under there I noticed cracking at the welds for the step bracket. It seems Monaco in their infinite wisdom welded the step bracket to the thin metal step well and not to the tube framing (which is 2 inches away). I am only posting this to bring awareness so everyone can check theirs so nobody gets hurt. It was only time before my step came off (probably when I had my arms full of something loading or unloading) and instead of just cracked welds I may have a cracked arm or leg,,,,

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It would help the rest of us to know which MH you have. I am sure Monaco mounted the step different on other models.

Dave
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
It would help the rest of us to know which MH you have. I am sure Monaco mounted the step different on other models.

Dave
Sorry. 1996 Monaco Signature Series 40ft. I would check them all although. Probably did the same thing on most models.

joe
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The welds failed on my 06 Endeavor when it was 2 years old. Lucky Monaco was still in business and classified the failure as a chassis problem so it was covered under warranty. These welds may be worth checking on many coaches.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
The welds failed on my 06 Endeavor when it was 2 years old. Lucky Monaco was still in business and classified the failure as a chassis problem so it was covered under warranty. These welds may be worth checking on many coaches.
Always thought mine felt a little mushy,,,, I guess now I know why,,,
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I have the installation manual for my Kwikee step and it specifically says the steps should NOT be welded because it could weaken or warp the frame of the step. Imagine my surprise the first time I went under to look at it and see that it is welded in place. It makes it a little hard to remove and straighten since a previous owner must have hit a curb or something with it and bent it a bit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I have the installation manual for my Kwikee step and it specifically says the steps should NOT be welded because it could weaken or warp the frame of the step. Imagine my surprise the first time I went under to look at it and see that it is welded in place. It makes it a little hard to remove and straighten since a previous owner must have hit a curb or something with it and bent it a bit.
I was not referring to movable steps nor do I think the OP was. We were referring to three steps inside the motor home. Both of our movable steps are bolted to the a frame.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #8

Yes sir. Mine is bolted also. It's the frame they are bolted to that is cracking (only welded to the thin stair well metal. Real dumb),,,, In the process of repairing now. Took the bottom step flooring out (thin plastic flooring then a piece of veneer, then a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, then I got to the steel step well from the inside). Going to put a jack on the movable step frame from underneath and move the cracks together. Will weld up the cracks and then come up with a plan to reinforce the step so this does not happen again.

joe

joe
Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Joe Unless you have full penetration of the weld totally removing the crack it can with time propagate back through the new weld. In doing a weld repair it is usually necessary to remove all cracked weld.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,
If I remember correctly when mine was fixed at Monaco in 2007 they completely removed the movable steps. But they did not have to tear up anything in the coach. I just clawed under mine and it looks like the added a number of angle iron that goes from side to side and front to back building a frame under the bottom step the pieces are welded to frame u channels. There then angle irons going from that frame to the second step up. It does not look like they reinforced the top step. I tried to take some pictures but because of the limited room I don't think they will do you much good. PM me if you want the pictures.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #11

I hear both of you on the cracks and the repair. I really didn't have to do what I did inside but I am kind of "do it right" kind of guy and I know Monaco would just "get it done" and send you on your way. I am going to do both things that are mentioned in both posts. I will weld the cracks up and then re do the inside flooring. Then I am going to add reinforcing as to not have the cracks re open as the reinforcing will now take all the punishment and not the cracked areas. It's just how I have always done stuff. I really hate welding on the coach as the electrical current has ill effects on some equipment periodically. I will unhook the batteries (coach and engine) and disconnect the AC power to the coach.

joe