Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Marion IL/Moore Haven FL
Posts: 107
ESCO Lyght LPT50BRD

I changed the iota out yesterday morning for a lyght esco lpt50brd. I was not impressed with the innards of the lpt50brd at all. I tightened all the terminals at least 6 times, they would be tight and then I'd go back and check and not tight.

My iota was spotless and looked like new inside but I heeded the warnings.

I have a question about chassis ground? No instructions with the lpt50brd at all. My iota didn't have a chassis ground although there was a place for it so I guess it isn't needed?
__________________
2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2010 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4
Fishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 582
Ground bonding of electrical thinks such as inverters and convertor’s is pretty important.

Saying that, was the unit mounted to a steel component of the chassis of the coach?

Was the a ground bonding wire within the hookup tether?

Either of the above or similar would provide ground bonding - the concern would be how solid of a ground bond the technique used is.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Marion IL/Moore Haven FL
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Ground bonding of electrical thinks such as inverters and convertor’s is pretty important.

Saying that, was the unit mounted to a steel component of the chassis of the coach?

Was the a ground bonding wire within the hookup tether?

Either of the above or similar would provide ground bonding - the concern would be how solid of a ground bond the technique used is.
Gen has hot 1 hot2 neutral and ground.
Shore and control panel have the same.

Those were the only wires hooked up to the old iota. The iota was screwed to the basement ceiling which is plywood or particle board, it's got a plastic case anyway.
the esco is a metal case.
__________________
2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2010 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4
Fishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
RustyTools's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,151
I too swapped for the Lyght transfer switch, and wasn't impressed.



My big concern was the new unit had regular flat-blade terminal lugs, and after only a couple re-tightens the slots were starting to splay out. Went to the hardware store and got allen head screws instead. Much more secure and I could tighten them to where they'd stay tight.
__________________
2008 Camelot 40í PDQ
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Marion IL/Moore Haven FL
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
I too swapped for the Lyght transfer switch, and wasn't impressed.



My big concern was the new unit had regular flat-blade terminal lugs, and after only a couple re-tightens the slots were starting to splay out. Went to the hardware store and got allen head screws instead. Much more secure and I could tighten them to where they'd stay tight.
Does it have a chassis ground?
__________________
2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2010 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4
Fishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,308
Does your coach have a grounding lug in the bay ceiling close to the inverter?

If so, you could just use that.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Marion IL/Moore Haven FL
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Does your coach have a grounding lug in the bay ceiling close to the inverter?

If so, you could just use that.
Yes, I guess I should just get a piece of wire and do it.

Wonder why it went without one for 14 years?
__________________
2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2010 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4
Fishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,308
Yeah, same guy wired mine !

IOTA switch wasn't grounded.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Marion IL/Moore Haven FL
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yeah, same guy wired mine !

IOTA switch wasn't grounded.
My guy was probably too tired to run a ground. I took out 16 screws through the iota into the basement ceiling.

16 screws.
__________________
2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2010 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4
Fishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishar View Post
My guy was probably too tired to run a ground. I took out 16 screws through the iota into the basement ceiling.

16 screws.
Well, he was a year older, and got tired quicker when he installed mine!

Only 8 screws, and still no ground wire !
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:33 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
RustyTools's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,151
No separate grounding wire from the ATS, so I assume it's grounded thru the shore and generator line grounds (yeah, I know about assuming things ).

However, there's a big threaded lug attached to the chassis behind my inverter - no wires on it. In fact, it has a piece of old masking tape over it from when they initially painted the frame. That tells me maybe they were supposed to bond to it at the factory.
__________________
2008 Camelot 40í PDQ
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Marion IL/Moore Haven FL
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
No separate grounding wire from the ATS, so I assume it's grounded thru the shore and generator line grounds (yeah, I know about assuming things ).

However, there's a big threaded lug attached to the chassis behind my inverter - no wires on it. In fact, it has a piece of old masking tape over it from when they initially painted the frame. That tells me maybe they were supposed to bond to it at the factory.
My lug has a green ground wire going to the inverter which sits right next to the transfer switch.
__________________
2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2010 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4
Fishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Success new ATS relay and terminal block for Lyght/Tesco/Elkart ATS 153stars Class A Motorhome Discussions 0 10-11-2021 02:04 PM
Lyght Power Systems ATS LPT50BRD RV4FUN2 iRV2.com General Discussion 0 06-12-2017 07:49 PM
ESCO Automatic Transfer Switch (LPT50BRD) Wiring Bob C. RV Systems & Appliances 13 02-07-2017 08:37 AM
IOTA's out; ESCO is in Johnontheroad Monaco Owner's Forum 14 06-12-2014 08:57 AM
Transfer Switch LPT50BRD donalddd Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 02-27-2011 10:50 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.