RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Essex 1701 Keyless Entry FOB Replacement

Posted this on Monacoers too.

Am looking for a FOB for the Essex 1701 keyless system that came with my 2003 Windsor. When I called Essex they said that the whole wireless portion of the system had to be replaced since FOB's and parts were no longer available and they did not know of an aftermarket source.

Replacing the wireless portion of the system is not as bad as it sounds. The parts required, receiver and two FOB-transmitters, come to something like $150. There are aftermarket "universal" systems that include receiver and two FOB's for under $20 but I have no idea if they would work. But it's a hassle to find the receiver, uninstall it, and install the replacement.

There is an outfit that sells a FOB that "looks" exactly like ours for $45. However, they do not know if it is compatible with the Essex 1701 system. I'm tempted to order one just to see if it will work. Where the one in the image says "Stellar" our Essex 1701 FOB says "Keyless". All else appears to be the same.

Here's the link:
Autoloc Keyless Entry Systems

I've had some success in "repairing" my one bad FOB. It's the large, half-moon button that does not correctly contact the small push-button switch on the PC board in the FOB. The one that unlocks the basement doors. I put a tiny dollop of epoxy on the switch button but that eventually stopped working. Now I have drilled a small, #54, hole through the half-moon button and put in a screw from an eyeglass repair kit to contact the small push-button switch. That's holding up for the time being.

In any case if anyone has an original Essex 1701 transmitter FOB they would part with, let me know. I might be able to salvage some of the parts if nothing else.

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
WindsorDave,

May not be helpful, but, I have the Essex KE1704 model from 2005 and I purchased this FOB (Model 474V, 4 Button HF, Stealth Code Remote from Directed Electronics Inc.) I think I paid about $30 for it.

It came with instructions and worked well.
JTBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

Thanks, JT. Did it look like the one in the following image?

Did your original KE1704 FOB look like the one in my original post? Or have similar functionality? i.e. upper left button locked everything, upper right button unlocked front door, and bottom button unlocked cargo/basement doors?
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Dave just a thought I was looking at the visonerv.com site and they have a 2004 Windsor they are parting out might be worth calling and checking for your items
Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Dave on the back of your FOB there is a FCC ID # what is it?
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #6

FCC ID Number On Remote Entry FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
Dave on the back of your FOB there is a FCC ID # what is it?
Rich,

It says: FCCID JLFTX4

Hey, it's good to hear from you! How's that Beaver doing?

Best,
Old 10-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Here you go https://www.cruisingforremotes.com/k.../fccid/jlftx4/ .

Taking It to Monaco to get the P/S side adjusted. So far we are still learning how to set all the controls up.
Rich
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
Thanks, Rich!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Thanks, JT. Did it look like the one in the following image?

Did your original KE1704 FOB look like the one in my original post? Or have similar functionality? i.e. upper left button locked everything, upper right button unlocked front door, and bottom button unlocked cargo/basement doors?
Yes,that is what it looked like.
JTBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #10

OK. Here's what I wound up with. Ordered a keyless entry fob from the outfit in Rich's post above. They supplied a "Universal Programmable Remote Control", part number #UNRR2.

Here's the fob itself which looks and feels like acceptable quality:

The fellow I spoke with said he'd set it up for the same frequency as my original (FCCID JLFTX4) so that all I had to do was install the programming mode jumper and simultaneously press corresponding buttons on the old and new fobs. The programming worked as advertised and now I have a new remote entry key fob. Total cost was a little under $53.00 to my door.

Now knowing what to look for, these things can be found for less money. That said this outfit had an English speaking tech in California that was willing to explain how the thing worked and they offer post-sale tech support over the phone.

When all is said and done I think I got my money's worth. Essex wanted ~$150.00 for a new radio receiver and two remotes. But I would have had to dive into the rat's nest under the dash to swap out the receivers.

Cruising For Remotes

FWIW
Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #11

We just purchased a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40PWD. Bought it thru a consignment dealer, so never talked with previous owner, and dealer was no help.

Anyway, it came with a remote that looks exactly like OP's original fob, except instead of "stellar", it says "Autoloc".

I replaced the battery, and the green light comes on if any button is pushed.

We have attempted to "authorize" the fob as per instructions in the HR manual, that is turn the ignition key on and off rapidly 5 times, leaving it on the fifth time. Hit the lock button and then the unlock button, then repeat.

Well, it is not working. Not surprised, as many, many things were broken, or out of adjustment on this thing, so one more thing is to be expected.

If anyone has some knowledge on whether or not I am doing this right, I sure would like to hear from you.

Ken Gasbarri

Oh, and the fob does not look like the picture in the HR manual.
DraginRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ken try this place. I bought a new keypad for the coach and it works great..

Essex KE-1701 Keypad Door Lock for RVs, SUVs, and Trucks Essex KE-1701 Keypad Vehicle Entry System for RVs/Trucks [Essex-KE-1701BH-666272106439] : keyless door locks, keyless front door locks, commercial keyless door locks, electronic door locks, ele

Dave
Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #13

Ken,

The coach in my original post was traded last spring so I don't have a way to check items specific to that keyless entry system. You mentioned that your FOB said "AutoLoc". I'm guessing that the previous owner had a problem and may have replaced the original Essex FOB with an AutoLoc. I almost did that based on appearance.

Check with Monaco to see what system was likely installed on your coach. Then Google that maker's website and look for programming instructions. Here's a link to the Essex site.

Essex Keyless Entry User Guide

In any case you'll have to determine the maker of your system and get programming instructions from them. The user manual for my 2003 Monaco Windsor was not of much help with my keyless entry problem.

These guys that I mentioned in post #10 above were very helpful in fixing me up with a "Universal" remote since Essex no longer makes the one we had.

Cruising For Remotes

Good luck
Old 12-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We hardly ever use the key fobs anymore. We reprogrammed the keyless system as instructions explained. With the new code we can open the front door, then immediately hit the 7/8 key 1 time to unlock the compartment doors. Then to lock we hit the 5 button 3 times (555).

Hardly ever use the keys but I've learned to exercise the basement compartment doors with the keys otherwise they freeze up with dirt etc.

Both my fobs fell apart, there is only one small screw holding the 2 halves together and the base portion of the plastic broke off. I simply used a flexible adhesive to glue back together, I can then pry apart to change batteries and then reglue.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement