Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Essex keyless entry questions

I have a new to me 2004 Windsor equipped with keyless entry. It doesn't work and I dont have the remotes for it but it sure seems handy to be able to lock all the compartments with the click of a button.

Do you use it?
Do you like it?
Do you recommend fixing it?
bearscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, we use it regularly but...
When we purchased our coach it did not work either. And we also did not receive the remotes.
I purchased a new KE-1701BHC keypad from A1 Electric in Torrance CA. This part number is plug and play with a Monaco connector on the end. I did have to program it but that is easy once you find the reprogramming button.
The remotes are another story. Our current coach has the optional Viper Alarm system. I found the Viper remotes on eBay and programmed them. However, we rarely use the remotes as the keypad is so convenient.
This is a link to the thread:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hel...ad-361586.html

Different coach: Our Executive did not have a Viper system so it used the older Trimark remotes. They are no longer available.
I purchased a new Remocon RMC-105 universal remote fob from:
https://www.cruisingforremotes.com/
They preset the frequency and I just programmed it to my Trimark RF receiver. It locks, unlocks, and also lights the entry lights.
The Trimark FCC ID is: JLFTX4 310mhz
I say this because you should also be able to find the Essex remote frequency and have these universal remotes programmed to the Essex frequency.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hel...-324146-2.html Post #22
Let me know if you have questions?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We also rarely use the FOB....better yet we do not use it anymore as the keypad is very convenient. Ours quit working in between trips one day. I removed the keypad and plug and put nit back and it started working and has every since. Also ours does not have a program button. I had to use a test light and find the wire to ground it so that it could be programmed.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Our rig came with the Essex system including the key fobs. The seller did not have the codes so were forced to use the keys, what a pain in the rear.
After some reading I found the programming instructions, however, I could not find the reset button so after looking at the wiring schematic I wired my own momentary button in that essentially just grounds the system so you can reprogram.

I did get all the FOBS to work but we don't even use them, we just use the touch pad. It works great and if I had trouble with it I'd fix it ASAP. I wouldn't waste my money buying new FOBS.

There are a number of threads where people have replaced the keypad.

FYI, about 2 years after buying the coach I was working under the dash, I had removed the radio. I happened to find a wiring loom that was taped up at the end tucked under a bunch of other wires. Untaped the bundle and found a red button which was the reset button for the system. So now I have 2 buttons.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearscat View Post
Do you use it?
Absolutely. HUGE pain to lock and unlock bay doors with a key. We mostly use the keypad by the door, but IMO the remote is also worthwhile. If I had to choose keyfob OR keypad, I would replace the keypad first using the part that Vito listed. I didn't know that a special monaco part existed and used the generic version (AKE-5), which is more similar to the original unit in outward appearance, but requires a lot of cutting and splicing. Vito's part IMO is a better solution.

Do you like it?
Yes. We don't carry the coach keys with us and rely entirely on the keypad for entry.

Yes. It's pretty easy. Use the exact module that Vito recommended. And see my write-up for easy and cheap replacement of the wireless module (which is actually totally separate from the Essex keypad by the door). Don't mess around with trying to find a keyfob replacement, just replace the entire wireless module.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ess...nt-330319.html
You might have the optional viper alarm rather than the normal wireless module (check the build sheet?). In that case viper could probably supply replacement keyfobs, or it might be just about as easy to have a car alarm installer replace the entire alarm module without disturbing the rest of the alarm system. The wiring of car alarm systems is pretty generic.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

I had the remote pad on my old MH (2007 Camelot). Used it all the time. My current MH (2006 Signature) has the Magnadyne PL20 keypad system with the Viper alarm, but it does not work. I am replacing the whole system with the TriMark e-ASK system, new keypad, controller and 2 remotes. The keypad is smaller so I am making a trim piece for it. It was cheaper just the Essex keypad. waiting for some warmer weather to get it installed.

Carl
loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #7

Never use remote, key pad is more convenient, less to carry.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I use my FOB often when I know hands will be full... eg a grocery run or coming home with take out. I hit the FOB before getting out of the dingy.

I also use the keypad often if just out for a walk or bike ride.

I use and like them both. Makes me wonder now if my key actually works, I have never used it lol
Old 02-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #9

Essex continued

Folks, we have the Essex keypad and it has become unreliable. 2004 Signature. Is the keypad the entirety of the system or is there another component that also may be failing? When we purchased this rig the key pad did no work so the folks at Karolina Koaches took the pad off and substituted one from another coach that they had on the lot. (which tells a story about their operation). It worked when properly programed and one FOB also worked. Now the FOB does not work and the key pad is unreliable. Will replacing the keypad fix all things? probably need a battery in the remote. Also I have found the VIPER module under the the dash. Thanks in advance for your assistance and opinions.
bpperk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpperk View Post
Folks, we have the Essex keypad and it has become unreliable. 2004 Signature. Is the keypad the entirety of the system or is there another component that also may be failing? When we purchased this rig the key pad did no work so the folks at Karolina Koaches took the pad off and substituted one from another coach that they had on the lot. (which tells a story about their operation). It worked when properly programed and one FOB also worked. Now the FOB does not work and the key pad is unreliable. Will replacing the keypad fix all things? probably need a battery in the remote. Also I have found the VIPER module under the the dash. Thanks in advance for your assistance and opinions.
Is the keypad the entirety of the system or is there another component that also may be failing?
The Essex keypad is an entirely self-contained aftermarket keyless entry system. It grounds a set of coach relays that in turn actuate lock motors. The keypad you see on the outside of the coach is the entire unit, there is no external 'brain' or other parts of the system.
The wireless FOB module is also a self-contained aftermarket keyless entry system and isn't even made by Essex.
The keypad and the wireless FOB module are totally separate units and are not connected to each other except that for the fact that both systems ground the same set of coach relays in order to actuate lock motors. The keypad and FOB are marketed as a 'system', but that's really not the case.
The writeup I linked earlier in this thread describes how it all works.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ess...nt-330319.html
You can test the coach relays by grounding certain wires attached to the keypad; the Essex wiring diagram is pretty straightforward. If the coach relays relays are working, it probably means your keypad has issues and will need to be replaced.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Brad, the original keypad was unreliable after a couple years in the sun. The new KE-1701BHZ part is revised and should last much longer. Call the guys at A1 Electric and order one for your coach. (310) 328-8500
It was a little over $200.
It is easy to change, only 2 screws and one electrical connector. I reinstalled it with 2 new stainless screws. It is plug and play in your Signature.

Some of the other model coaches may have come with a smaller 1600 model and they will need to open up the hole.
It will take about 10 min to program. You can add personalized codes to unlock. Then just add a 9 to the code and it will also unlock the basement doors. 557 will relock all doors. Afterward, you will think its the best thing you've ever done.

You can bring your Viper system back to life. As Walter said, it's a separate system under the upper dash cover in front of the driver. You can get remotes for as low as $8 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...temCondition=3
You will also need to change the motion sensor batteries. One is up front next to the passenger side couch and another in the drivers side bedroom window.

Let me know if you need programming instructions for either system?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #12

Keyless entry

Quote:
I have a new to me 2004 Windsor equipped with keyless entry. It doesn't work and I dont have the remotes for it but it sure seems handy to be able to lock all the compartments with the click of a button.

Do you use it?
Do you like it?
Here is what I used to fix my keyless entry on my 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PST.
Docooler Car Remote Central Lock Locking Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers Docooler Car Remote Central Lock for $19.95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QH9C5A...ack_e_304_dt_1 and one 12v relay $9.99 https://www.amazon.com/ONLINE-LED-ST...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
. Connect the relay to the cargo lock circuit because it uses more current than the module will allow. Mine has been working perfectly ever since I installed it two years ago.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #13

Wow, thanks for all fo the replies. This seems like it's a no brainer to fix the keypad so I will add it to my list. Thank you again for sharing all the info and details
bearscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Do you use it?
Do you like it?
The keyfob fell apart soon after we bought the Windsor. We never used it anyway. We use the outside keypad all the time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote