Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Essex Keyless on 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial

Can someone tell me where the Essex keyless entry programing switch is located on a 2002 Holiday Rambler. I have looked under the dash and under the radio and under the passenger cup holder. I hear a clicking noise when press the fob buttons and I found that behind the radio but no programing switch. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing. Can someone describe what it looks like.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
ronsteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know if the HR is the same as my Windsor, but I just remove the drawer in the center console and the very small push-button switch is hanging down behind the drawer. I've been told that on some models the switch is behind the small console by the passenger seat. Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Basically it can be anywhere depending on how the installation tech felt that day and whether he was in a good mood or a bad mood.

I have the same mostly identical coach as Joe's, floor-plan at least, and my programming switch is located tucked into the bottom of the dash just above the fuel treadle.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'll chime in here.

When I first bought my coach I looked all over inside the front dash for the programing switch or button. I could never find it.

After reading the Essex literature and looking at the wiring diagram I figured out that I could install my own switch. The rear of my touch pad can be accessed by removing the top of the passenger side console, you could also remove the key pad itself. From memory (+6 years) the keypad has a number of wires attached to the back, I believe the yellow wire (check your schematic) was the ground. I simply spliced in a wire to this with and added a momentary switch that I bought at Radio shack. The momentary switch is one that you press and it has a spring in it that will push the button back out. The switch grounds the unit and then it goes through the programming sequence. I was able to reprogram the unit doing this. I then just mounted the switch in the passenger console out of the way for future use.

About 3 years later when I was working on something else I finally found my OEM installed momentary switch. I had the whole face off the front console and found a black plastic wire protector with no wires coming out, looked down in it and saw a red button which turned out to be the switch. It was tucked under a bunch of wires and you'd never find it without pulling all the wires apart.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

I recently installed a new Essex keypad to replace the old failing one I had installed back in 2009.

The new keypad came with a new push-button switch to use if needed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well I do appreciate all the good answers I got and I am surprised at how quickly you guys answered but now I am going to answer my own question. I went back and read carefully all the literature I could find. I noticed that there was a description of the button. It has a yellow and a black 22 gauge wires. I pulled out my radio (one more time) and looked for small yellow and black wires. When I saw the wires I traced them down and there, stuck in a crack in the upholstery just above the fuel pedal, was the button. Had I not known to look for black and yellow wires I would have never found it. I hit the button, followed the instructions, and reprogramed my key pad. Everything is working perfect and I am one happy camper. (is that a pun) I hope this helps someone else.
If anyone has questions about the Essex keyless entry, I probably have the answer as I have spent the last two weeks researching.
Thanks again for the quick answers.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Great, glad we could help. I guess my memory isn't to bad

FYI, we owned our coach for +3 years before I found that you can push the 7/8 button to open the bay doors after you use the code to open the front door. We had continued to use the key fob to open the doors until I found this out.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you found it! I think those guys at the factory got a real kick out of hiding those switches!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

FYI, we owned our coach for +3 years before I found that you can push the 7/8 button to open the bay doors after you use the code to open the front door. We had continued to use the key fob to open the doors until I found this out.
Jim,

There are additional "triggers" available on the keypad to perform other functions if needed. There is even a blue wire which can be utilized to activate a security system when locking the door with the keypad. That blue wire goes to ground when using any lock code and stays on ground until the keypad is unlocked.

I also discovered at a later time that using lock code 559 puts the keypad in security mode meaning that the back-light will flash every 30 seconds.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
555 will lock everything. I have tried to put in a 4 digit code but I discovered that when I press the 3rd digit the door always unlocks and on the 4th digit the bay doors unlock. This is a nice feature if you only want to unlock the door BUT I would like more than a 3 digit code to open the door for security reasons. Maybe I will try a 5 or 6 digit code and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsteward View Post

555 will lock everything. I have tried to put in a 4 digit code but I discovered that when I press the 3rd digit the door always unlocks and on the 4th digit the bay doors unlock. This is a nice feature if you only want to unlock the door BUT I would like more than a 3 digit code to open the door for security reasons. Maybe I will try a 5 or 6 digit code and see what happens.
Your programming sequence is off. Do you have the Essex KeyPad programming steps?

I have had a four digit code for eons. Simple to program and change.

After I installed the new KeyPad it took all of 45 seconds to program my old code into the new keypad.

BTW, there are three different lock codes depending on your intentions - 555, 557 and 559.

Dr4Film ----- Richard