Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Exhaust brake mod

I have a PacBrake exhaust brake on my Monaco. It is located on the floor. I am a truck driver and am used to having the exhaust brake on the dash. Is there a way to move it to a switch on the dash or side console? Has anyone ever done a Mod like this?
AttilaKara72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - yes, I have done this: I added a rocker switch to the side panel and paralleled the circuit with the foot switch (such that both the foot switch and the rocker switch will activate the exhaust brake).

In my case, I had the foot switch fail (intermittent) and had a couple of times the exhaust brake would not come on - a very cheap foot switch. I replaced the foot switch and added the rocker.

Alan
02 Windsor PKD
Wilsonville, Or
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Easy change...as above or rocker switch only. The foot switches have a micro switch nside and are far from heavy duty.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't really looked at it but I'm guessing that there are two wires going into the foot switch. If I remove them from the foot switch and reroute them to a rocker switch I should be fine??
AttilaKara72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

I recently shifted the switch from the front dash where it was difficult to get at, to a spare switch slot on the side panel right where my hand falls. Should have done it a couple of years ago.
No point for those drivers who just leave it on, but I prefer to leave it off most of the time because it is a pain.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes....If you want to eliminate the foot switch all together, you can do what you stated. Just move the two wires to a rocker switch. On a lot of Monaco coaches, if there is a space between switches you already have, like on the panel below your left arm, Monaco cut out the under side for extra switches. So if you have a space where it looks like a switch may fit, remove that panel and you may find that it is already precut, you just need to finish cutting it all the way through.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #7

pac swtich

I have both a foot switch and rocker on the side panel. I was not happy with the foot switch as I didn't like holding it down with my foot. So I changed it with a switch ( maintained type ) that is press once ( on ) press once ( Off) and also added an led light to the dash to indicate when it is on. Very easy to operate and know when its activated.

James

Tags
brake