Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Exhaust flange breaking

I have had the Exhaus pipe coming out of the Turbo break twice now, when it breaks the exhaust exiting the turbo melts several air lines (I have since wrapped all lines in the path of the exhaust in heat resistant insulation ). I am trying to find if someone has had this exhaust problem corrected.
Each time I have had it repaired the service center said it is a poor design & they repair these at least twice a month.
Monaco 2004 Windsor
400- Cummins
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did they repair the pipe, as in welding it of did they replace it. If they just repaired it it may need to be replaced new. I have seen them break on trucks, but they are usually older. It may be that there not enough brackets supporting the exhaust pipe and just driving down the road there is too much movement in the pipe causing it to break. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #3

Had same thing happen on our ISM.....poor design by Monaco. Transwest Truck Center repaired ours with new heavy duty clamp type bracket. We did have to replace exhaust pipe from turbo to muffler.....Monaco part $1100.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

When the exhaust broke last year in Birmingham , I had all new pipes & muffler installed for $850.00, my biggest issue was when the pipe broke the hot exhaust melted several air lines causing my suspension to drop & brakes to lock up.
I was able to fix enough lines myself to get off the highway. I have since wrapped all the lines in the path of the exhaust with heat resistant insulation that is used in race cars.
The second time it broke , I had only one air line melted & I now travel with 1/4 air line & fittings so I was able to fix it. I had the exhaust repaired at North Trail RV in Fort Myers for $685.00. Here they welded a new flange onto the existing pipe, cut about 16" off the solid pipe & used flex pipe (the idea is to not have it rigid & be able to flex with the chassis).
We will see how this holds up.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Permanent exhaust solution

Lads,

If you are facing a broken exhaust system, before you pay someone to fix it. Take a few minutes and look at the whole system. Normally the exhaust comes off the turbo or exhaust brake and ends up pointing down thru a bent piece. Following that should be a piece if flex pipe to allow for chassis/engine/exhaust movement. From there some more pipe into a muffle that may be rigid or flex mounted. If it is rigid mounted then some more flex may precede it. The flex that is eom installed may seize up after a few years or seasonal use. There are other types of flex joints one can have installed. The best IMHO is a stainless steel set of bellows covered in stainless wre wrap. Use the walker exhaust website for the pieces you want. Try a local NAPA or truck shop.

Making sure there is enough movement in the system should stop future breakage. For ease of assembly use the stainless steel band clamps that aren't preformed. Don't use the ones that are flat at the ends and that you have to put their piece of tin foil in to seal the gap at the pipe. The good clamps have an aluminum center that mates with the ends to form a 360 degree seal.
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ours broke and was replaced under warranty by Branson Motor Coach service. Monaco sent the parts to me at our cabin then I took them to the repair shop. Its been OK since.
Ron
04 HR Imperial