Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Exterior Entertainment Center

Just curious of those of you that have a TV outside how much do you really use it and would you get another one if you we're to order a new coach.

I think we'd like one but not sure if the're worth the space you lose and the extra exspense, while we're not big TV watchers we do enjoy it sometimes.

Just not sure how well you can see it under the Awning and if the noise from the campground wouldn't interfere with hearing what was going on at times

Thanks
Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good question. When we bought our new coach it was one the dealer already had on the lot and it had the outside entertainment center. We thought it was the coolest thing going at first but after 44000 miles and 4 years of full timing... turns out we hardly ever use it.

I think that might be because we were full timers though.

It's interesting how many full timers spend their time very differently that weekend "campers". Weekenders are trying to squeeze a lot of outdoor fun into a very limited about of time and therefore might be more inclined to sit around the campfire and watch TV. We just found that once the novelty of that wore off, we were more comfortable sitting inside in our comfortable living room.

Having said all of that, if I bought a new rig tomorrow I do think I would order it with the outdoor TV. Many new rigs now build them in to their own panel in the side of the coach so they don't take up a complete storage bay anymore. And... it is really nice to have when I'm grilling or just puttering around outside the coach.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Mine came with one also. At first I thought it was pretty cool but honestly if I custom ordered a motorhome I would not have one installed.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed one just for the novelty of it and believed when G-kids were about it would be useful. I watch it seldom, usually during Super Bowl or special occassions. I can keep up with the news while I am BBQing outside. If I did not have it would not miss it but it was a fun project and I use it on occassion. I made a drawer basically that when it opens it swings down to expose the TV. Preserved some room and gave me an interesting if small challenge at the same time. Works fine.

Oh! I had a tech run the wires and electrical many years ago in anticipation of having one. This is the third permeation because as I replaced TV's inside I moved them down under. Then finally wanted more room so put a flat screen in a "drawer".
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks, I should have added that we do plan to go fulltime, and that's really interesting to here from you fulltimers.

Still interested on hearing others opinions

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have one, but love doing projects. I felt that it would never get used as mentioned above. When I watch TV, Like to be sitting in my big chair. You also have to think about what type of provider you're going to use. A cable at the park would be easy, but of you have DirecTv or Dish, you're looking at another receiver, or using the inside receiver in SD, not HD. You also have to worry about remote control issues if using the main sat receiver.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
You also have to think about what type of provider you're going to use. A cable at the park would be easy, but of you have DirecTv or Dish, you're looking at another receiver, or using the inside receiver in SD, not HD. You also have to worry about remote control issues if using the main sat receiver.
There is another way Don... that is if you're willing to watch the same channel as other TVs in the rig while watching satellite.

All three of my sets are connected to a single HD DVR via HDMI cables which I installed. I use the RF feature in DirecTv's remotes instead of the IR default and each set in the coach has its own remote but they all control the single DVR. Works fine, even from the bedroom and outside sets.

Not being able to watch different satellite shows on different sets at the same time is probably a deal breaker for some but it works for us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I keep looking at the gap under the knights pass side kitchen slide...

I've got about 3 1/2 inches...

Modern led tv's are very very thin. I like to watch the races (nascar) and being a weeknd camper (lmao @ rick!) This could work for me.

I coukld drop a/c power down from the icemaker (on the inverter) outlet, and than i'd have to get a tv signal to it somehow. My rig is pre HDMI, the main TV (in the back of the salon) is on separate coax's, and the sat receiver is up front....

Still trying to wrap my head around that...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #9

One of our favorite pastimes is sitting around the fire watching baseball enjoying good friends and an ice cold beverage. Definitely a must have option for us.
Soleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have an outside TV and stereo and rarely use them due to bugs.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We use ours quite a bit, real nice on a nice spring or summer evening. I use Directv with the RF remote on the main TV, have a separate box for the bedroom TV so th DW can watch her programs at night.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote