RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

factory installed surround sound

This summer our factory installed RCA dvd/surround sound disc player quit working. I figured no big deal I will buy a new one.......Wrong. I went to a local stereo supplier and hoped to purchase a new dvd player as well as a new amp to replace our old equipment. I was told that my system was too old to make anything work today. My coach is a 2005 holiday rambler sceptre.

Has anyone had the same problem with their tv/sound system and if so what did you make work..Thx..Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some people have had good luck with these systems could use same wiring.
Here is another.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

Hi Ted,

Our 2008 Scepter 42' had the RCA 5 disc player and AM/FM Tuner installed from the factory. It was crap. Really bad reception and poor DVD playback. Plus it ran really hot in the overhead cabinets.

Finally got tired of it and found a EXCELLENT Marantz AM/FM, 5.1 Channel surround sound receiver. It has excellent sound quality, runs very cool in the hardwood cabinets and most importantly it has a unique footprint that allows it to fit in the overhead cabinet - or at the very least it is much small then the standard sized "large" receivers that are commonly found. It has lots of the new HDMI inputs. (See the link below)

For movies we went with a high quality Sony Blu-Ray player. The good Sony players will upconvert standard DVD's to a higher quality for playback.

Wiring in the cabinet was interchangeable for me. Did the R&R in about 2 hours.

Amazon.com: Marantz NR1403 Slim Line AV Receiver: Electronics

Total cost was 600 Canadian.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Adam Huner
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
This summer our factory installed RCA dvd/surround sound disc player quit working. I figured no big deal I will buy a new one.......Wrong. I went to a local stereo supplier and hoped to purchase a new dvd player as well as a new amp to replace our old equipment. I was told that my system was too old to make anything work today. My coach is a 2005 holiday rambler sceptre.

Has anyone had the same problem with their tv/sound system and if so what did you make work..Thx..Ted
Replaced our RCA years ago. Just find a good Home Theater System that will fit in the space. You will have to buy the whole system but don't need the speakers. When you unplug the RCA you will notice an adapter that has individual plugs for the left front, right front, left rear ,right rear, center, and bass speakers that plug into the back of the RCA. The other end of that adapter has a Molex plug that plugs into the coach speaker wires. Note which wires go to which speakers and then replace the plugs that plug into the RCA system with the plugs that will fit the new system. You can unplug the Molex plug so you can take the adapter to the work bench to make the change over easier. You may want to swap out the original Woofer for the new Woofer. Most likely the speakers will not fit in the same housing as the original ones mounted in the ceiling.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #5

RCA at one time was the best you could buy. Went downhill many years ago and is the worst pile of crap out there. I replaced all my RCA that came in our rig.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ted: I also went with the Marantz NR1403 Slimline and purchased a Samsung Blue Ray player. One thing I ran into was the old sub woofer wiring used a two wire hookup and the new Marantz Receiver required a cable. So I purchased a new sub woofer by Polk Audio PSW111. I still have to run new cable to receiver. Cable needed is about 35'.

Old Sony surround system/DVD/Receiver system wasn't very good to begin with but the heat in the compartment killed it. Now running two computer fans and new equipment runs a lot cooler.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I junked the RCA unit early on. I went to Best Buy and bought a Sony Home Theater system that was an open box special. The speakers were beat up, but I didn't care since I wasn't going to use them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info guys. Yes I remember when RCA was a good name but what happened?????

I have purchased a DVD player on sale with the old style RCA jacks that will match up to my old system. I also got a yahama surround sound amp that was a clearance special. My problem now is when I reattach all my labeled wires to the amp I have 4 left over. They are supposed to go to a vcr port and one goes to the sat "in" port. My amp does not have these ports/connections. I am sure they have something to do with the second tv but not sure. I cannot trace the wires back so I am in another dilemma.

Not sure what to do.....now......

Ted
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Find a good Home Theater system that will fit the space. Make sure it will work with an unpowered sub woofer since that is what you current have. If you have replaced your original TV with a HD TV with HDMI inputs and other inputs I found that it worked best to run the all sources to the TV then run a digital coax from the TV to the sound input of the Home Theater.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Dealer LIED, fact is speakers are speakers.. If you are replacing either the entire system or parts (Assuming it is modular) they still make the modules.

Two companies with a good selection of components:

1: Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras

2: J&R Music and Computer World - Electronics, Cameras, TVs, Notebooks, Tablets, and More  

Check 'em out... I got to shop JR soon myself.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are on our third system. The RCA simply got overheated I suspect and died. Since then the dividers in the overhead compartment (no tv up front in ours), have been removed and a nice color matched wood vent register has been installed on the bottom of the cabinet with muffin fans sandwiched in between to cool the cabinet. On really hot days if the front is not in the shade I open the cabinets.

The big issue is losing the nice base speaker the RCA used. I have since found a place for another one but it was not easy.

Forgot, Our current model is a low profile Sony that has a Blu Ray player, amp, Wi-Fi, and lots of other things I don't use but it works great.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #12

My RCA got so hot it turned off the Dish Receiver. Dish has a limit of how hot it can get. I think 135 degrees. I added a computer fan to the side of the box. The fan has a USB plug. So it comes on when the receiver comes on.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I also replaced the surround sound (Sony) with a Samsung home theater. The Blue Ray is built into it. I just spliced the wires and used the existing Sony speakers. I have been using it that way for a year. No problems and it sounds great. It was a 200 ??? dollar system.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #14

YC1 do you have the model # of the Sony you installed?

Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install