Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #1

Fan-Tastic Fan Motor/Blade Replacement

Hello All,
We have 2 fans that are not working, have checked everything and think that we need to replace the whole motor/blade assembly. Does anyone know which company's fans will work the best? I have found this model and we are curious if anyone has had luck replacing them, this is from E-trailer.

Replacement Fan Motor Assembly Kit for Fan-Tastic Vent Roof Vent Fans

Item # FVK8017-00
Agswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

First thing to check is the pop up button under the lid that's like an old-school dome light door switch. If the thermostat fails it will fail open as well at least mine did that was the problem. These were the gas or vapor filled thermostat you can see the copper bulb. The old school black Motors are definitely worth trying to save are much quieter than the new pancake style.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW, I've used the Etrailer Fantastic Fan replacement motor and it worked great. Quieter than the original actually...
Of course the original motor had a bazillion hours on it before it finally pooped out.
I have no idea how the replacement fan blades are though, but Etrailer has always stood behind their products. A great operation IMHO.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Call Fantastic Fan. They used to stand behind their products. I stopped by their booth at an FMCA rally complaining about a ringing tone from my fan. They pulled out a replacement motor and fan from under the table and gave it to me. Their only question was "can you handle replacing it or do you want us to do it". I was glad to do the job. They use the same blade and motor on all their fans or at least they used to. I'd be surprised if you called them and they didn't walk you through troubleshooting your problems and getting them fixed.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

Fantastic does not exist anymore. It was sold. I think it is Dometic. They no longer provide the great service and free parts. Not sure if they still have parts for Legacy units. Another great product gone.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Fantastic does not exist anymore. It was sold. I think it is Dometic. They no longer provide the great service and free parts. Not sure if they still have parts for Legacy units. Another great product gone.
Your right, Dometic owns them and they were not helpful at all when I contacted them. I needed a replacement control button. I had seen one on ebay way back when, but when I needed it, nope.

I ended up replacing it with a Maxxfan. Its actually MUCH quieter, and has more features-overall a better product, IMO.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a shame to hear of another great company being devoured when ownership is transferred to a big corporation. Throughout my lifetime, bigger has almost never proved to be better. I used to be a big fan of A&E awnings but now that Dometic has them, I've transferred my loyalties.

Back to the problem at hand here:
Many have reported problems with the switch that senses when the lid is opened. Be sure to check it. They become corroded and stick in the closed position. Get up on the roof with vent cover open, push down on the switch button and slide your finger off letting it snap back. If the switch stem comes up a little higher and fan starts, you've found the problem. Put a little lube of some kind on the switch's stem. It's worth a try.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I bought Maxxfan also. Very happy with it.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #9

There's a collar/adapter on those switch plunger ,the barrel plug staycon connector pushes into it . Then the collar has to make contact with upper portion to complete the ground. I just replaced fan blades and vapor filled thermostats that were open circuit preventing fans from running no matter the temp. Getting all interior parts and wires back into place will test your patience.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #10

Thank you all for the valuable information! I will get up on the roof and start from there
Agswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #11

Should be inside job rm screen pull off blade 2 screws rm motor check number on motor, amazon has them.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #12

The fan and bowtie mount will come out the top. The pos wire is way easier to splice with heatshrink butt connector or solder and heatshrink. You can test or jump out pop switch from the top as well as test for power that way. To not splice the pos wire will take full disassemble inside.

Tags
ace, fan, motor, replace, replacement