Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fass Fuel Filter

Anyone have one of these and do you like it? The information on line says it removes "air" from the diesel fuel and improves your mileage by a few tenths. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Why would there be air in your diesel fuel?
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If there was air in your diesel fuel the engine will air lock the injectors. Not something you want to happen as you then have to purge the lines.

I'd say it's "snake oil" but that's not for hardware so I'd call it "snake BS"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #4

Does "Damon Outlaw" sell those too? LOL
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Google Fass Fuel Filters and read what the company says and others about how it works. Yes there is "air" in diesel fuel, and yes it is NOT good for the engine fuel injectors. Curious minds always like to check out possible new technology. deSanford
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I've been using that FASS system for around ten years or so. Yes, it does help with fuel mileage a bit, but to what degree, I can't say for as this rig has had the system since 2006. It and I are used to it.

The system does wonders for smoothing out how an engine runs and idles. This big Detroit I have now doesn't sound like many like it. More like a big gasser engine of sort.

Another big plus.... The system has its own fuel pump. Cold mornings or times when it might be hard to start a big diesel, just turn on the key, wait and listen for the FASS pump to pressurize and shut off, tap the start button and the engine jumps to life smooth as can be. Same applies in the event of the engine loosing it prime, run out of fuel or what not. The FASS pump will pre-prime the system ending the normal hard starting for the circumstance.

(moderator edit)
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Good Lord! I really didn't expect the response I've received inquiring on the extra new FASS filtration system I have.

I am a bit busy with work now. Will respond these Emails in order of date and time received beginning this weekend. Figured one blanket reply here would be quicker and easier. If someone buys this, I will let the rest of you, in order on the list know it is sold...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It appears to be an extra filtration system that really filters the fuel. But look at the price...OUCH.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Auto Hauler check your IRV2 personal mail. deSanford
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #10

Don't want to get too technical here because I am not a chemical engineer but petroleum-derived diesel is composed of about 75% saturated hydrocarbons (primarily paraffins including n, iso, and cycloparaffins), and 25% aromatic hydrocarbons (including naphthalenes and alkylbenzenes).[24]
The average chemical formula for common diesel fuel is C12H23, ranging approximately from C10H20 to C15H28.

I maybe mistaken here a little air in diesel fuel is a natural part of it so nobody is really lying BUT they are using that to sell a product.

Most air bubbles in liquids are caused either by pump cavitation or by agitation but when compressed to the extreme in the high pressure injection pumps it becomes very insignificant. Even then why removing this tiny amount of air will improve the MPG.

Sorry about the initial post being on water. Got confused.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It appears to be an extra filtration system that really filters the fuel. But look at the price...OUCH.

Ken
Very true Ken... It is expensive, but when you use it in an application as I do, it pays for itself. 100,000 to 170,000 mile a year, keeping equipment well beyond 1,000,000 miles.

Oh, I am using it as a replacement filtration system rather than additional. Installed where the primary fuel filter used to be......
Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Good information Mike, did you read the information on their web-site? deSanford
Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #13

If that system had any merit every trucker on the road would use it! Even 2/10ths when you drive 125,000 miles a year is a lot of$$. Why wouldn't the large fleets with 10,000 or more tractors use this device? Simple answer is they do nothing! You could buy a fuel magnet for far less money and get the same zero results ! Slow down by 2mph and you will see positive proven results at zero cost. But not as exciting!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If nothing else Moisheh you wouldn't have to manual pump the diesel fuel to get going again after running out of fuel........as it has its own DC powered motor. You would still have to loosen the fuel rail going to one of the injectors to let the "air" in the fuel rail escape. The Fass people have a very compelling story to tell on their web-site. I'm just bring this to people's attention as I'm sure not many on this forum know about their filters. deSanford PS you wouldn't ever be "fuel" starved with the added pressure from the Fass system.

Tags
fuel