Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

FASS Install 2000 Dynasty

PTL, finally finished the FASS install. Mounted it behind the propane tank, which gave me plenty of fuel line to hook everything up. First did the electrical lines. Drilled hole in upper front run bay. Put line through with connector to the FASS pump. Zip tied FASS line to existing line that ran to propane bay. Drilled hole in propane bay and put line through with connector to FASS. Installed relay at top of front run bay. Used a target arrow shaft to poke hole between wires up to drivers right side console. Soldered longer wire to FASS ground and fed wire through hole and attached to ground buss on dash. Attached the ignition wire to the bottom of the middle buss and attached the positive feed wire to the left buss. (see 2 red wires at bottom of busses. At the back by the motor, cut existing connector from lift pump. Attached wires to old connector using male bullet connectors. In addition attached male bullet connectors to lift pump wires. Did this so if the FASS pump fails, bullet connectors can be pulled apart and the lift pump wires can be reattached with the bullet connectors. Ran wires to rear run bay for "fooler relay". It's the relay on the right with the purple and gray wires. After completing the install and starting her up, we foamed all the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-16.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	364682   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-10.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	364683  

Name:	thumbnail-2 copy 50.jpeg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	364684   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-7 copy 2.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	364685  

Name:	thumbnail-15.jpeg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	364686   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-8.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	364687  

Name:	thumbnail-9.jpeg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	364688   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-4 copy 20.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	364689  

Name:	thumbnail-5 copy 10.jpeg
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	364690   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1 copy 78.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	364691  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #2

FASS Install Part 2

After completing the install of wiring, tested Fass pump and all was well. Foamed all the wiring where it went from one compartment to another. Cut an opening in the plywood that separates the propane compartment from the fuel tank compartment. This allowed me to access the lines on the top of the fuel tank. (See cut line in pic) Cut the hoses and attached them to the FASS pump, as it would be too tight a fit for the wrenches once installed. This is a pic of the top of the fuel tank. The hose on the right is the return hose. The fitting going into the tank was replaced with a larger diameter fitting. The original fitting had a copper pipe that went to the bottom of the tank. Removed it by lifting and bending the copper a little at a time. Then attached the return hose. The hose in the middle is for the suction side of the FASS pump. It's the feed from the tank. The hose with the attachment on the left side is the feed for the caps. The hose provided in the kit was more than adequate. Actually have about 4-5 feet left over. Back at the lift pump. Bypassed lift pump altogether with a female-female 10 AN fitting. Removed hoses from lift pump manifold and attached to fitting. Capped lift pum manifold with two 10 AN caps. All the fitting used were either 10 AN or 8 AN. The next two pics are of the FASS mounted behind the propane tank. One is from over the tank and the other is from under the motorhome. Foamed all lines and wires as needed. Worked out well, bled according to FASS instructions, took 2 tries to start motor. She seems to idle much smoother. A special thanks goes out to Jim (jacwjames) and Tim (Tim-AZ). These guys are a God-Send, I would not have been able to accomplish the install without their valued help. God Bless them and their loved ones. Hope this helps anyone who is anticipating doing an install. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail-13.jpeg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	364692   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1 copy 78.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	364693  

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	364694   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-6 copy 4.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	364695  

Name:	thumbnail-1 copy 79.jpeg
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	364696   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-11.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	364697  

Old 05-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nice job Ed. Did you support the line bypassing the lift pump so it doesn't bang around. I also put grease on the aluminum AN10 coupler so it wouldn't gall. (aluminum to steel)
Tim
Old 05-06-2022, 01:24 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Nice work, and a great CAPS system upgrade.
Ours has been trouble free, one less thing to worry about.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:50 PM   #5

Alpine6, thank you for the complement. Tim, yes the line is supported so it doesn't bang around. Great idea on the grease, think I wil go back and put anti-size on the fittings. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia
Old 05-08-2022, 02:11 AM   #6

Stupid question, what is FASS?
Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinyyl View Post

Here's a start for a general idea.

https://fassride.com/video/

Happy Trails
Old 05-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #8

Not a stupid question Sinyyl. FASS stands for fuel, air, separation, system. It's an aftermarket fuel system that cleans the fuel on a constant basis. More importantly it replaces a cummins lift pump that is prone to failure. In addition it will supply constant fuel pressure to the injector pump. On the isc 350 we have, the pump has been known to take a dump. If the lift pump fails or leaks air, it could cause the injector pump to fail which in turn causes the ecm to fail. If that happens you are looking at a very expensive repair. I've seen this repair on the forum costing from $9,000 up. We purchased our 2000 Dynasty 2 years ago and we have slowly been upgrading it. The approximately $850 we spent on the FASS system and parts for the install seem like prudent insurance so we aren't stuck on the road at the mercy of a mechanic. There are others on this forum who know much more about the system than I, perhaps they will add their expertise. In addition it would be helpful if some of those who have experienced the pump failure would describe their experiences also. Thanks for looking in and God Bless, Ed & Sylvia
Old 05-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I lost my injector pump (caps) in Nov. Luckily I was still in town (Mesa, AZ) I had two very nice DOT guys tow me off the off ramp into a industrial park. Then I spent two hours on the phone finding a mobile mechanic. Mind you this was Wed of thanksgiving weekend. Two guys came together in the same truck and replaced my pump with a Cummins rebuilt pump. Cost. $4200 for the pump and $2300 labor. This is the short version. Like Ed and many others, I have installed the FASS pump and had plans of doing it before I lost the injection pump. Note: I did not have any signs of a leak at the lift pump.

Tim
Old 05-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
Not a stupid question Sinyyl. FASS stands for fuel, air, separation, system. It's an aftermarket fuel system that cleans the fuel on a constant basis. More importantly it replaces a cummins lift pump that is prone to failure. In addition it will supply constant fuel pressure to the injector pump. On the isc 350 we have, the pump has been known to take a dump. If the lift pump fails or leaks air, it could cause the injector pump to fail which in turn causes the ecm to fail. If that happens you are looking at a very expensive repair. I've seen this repair on the forum costing from $9,000 up. We purchased our 2000 Dynasty 2 years ago and we have slowly been upgrading it. The approximately $850 we spent on the FASS system and parts for the install seem like prudent insurance so we aren't stuck on the road at the mercy of a mechanic. There are others on this forum who know much more about the system than I, perhaps they will add their expertise. In addition it would be helpful if some of those who have experienced the pump failure would describe their experiences also. Thanks for looking in and God Bless, Ed & Sylvia
Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

This is probably one of the better upgrades for any coach that as the CAPS fuel system.

From my observation people who have added the FASS system are the type of owners who maintain their rigs to a higher level and would should be in the (+) side for anyone looking for a coach.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinyyl View Post
No not a stupid question at all.

You may already know about your CAPS fuel injector pump and
the fear we all have of it sucking air resulting in a failed CAPS
pump. Replacing one of those is a real nightmare and expensive
task. Hence all the interest in FASS.

If you want to do some indepth reading on the subject here are 2 threads that I found to be most interesting and informative.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dea...ad-516487.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/eng...at-526808.html

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nice job on the install of the FASS in your Dynasty. You won't regret it for a second.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #13

A big thank you and God Bless to all of you for your kind words and encouragement. I posted the install here to let folks know that it's not an impossible job. If you have a little mechanical ability it's doable. It's not rocket science and pretty much anyone can do it. A friend who used to live across the stree from us had firm instructions from his wife not to change anything including light bulbs.(true story) If that's you, probably not something you want to tackle. If you decide to install a FASS system, the folks on this forum or Bill D's Monacoers are more than willing to add their help and expertise. Happy Monday, Ed & Sylvia
Old 05-09-2022, 09:54 PM   #14

A little confused

I am a little confused. When I go to the FASS application page there is no listing for the Cummins 8.3. Has it not been listed yet or is this something they allow even though all listed are smaller engines.

Tony
1998 Dynaty

Tags
install