Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fast winding FW hose reel

I cannot use the power hose reel without holding the hose and slowing down the "speed". Otherwise, it does not coil evenly on the reel and starts to overlap and fill the reel long before I run out of hose. Adding resistance does little to help the even coiling but I can't help to think that adding the resistance generates heat and can't be good for the motor. The reel is mounted sideways so it is additionally awkward to "assist" the laying of the hose on the reel evenly....I would need a third hand. One to hold the power switch, one to hold the hose to slow the speed and one to assit the hose to coil evenly.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the MH and the FW reel is not on my data sheet of make/model of "toys" (e.g. steps, water pump, etc.).

The 50a cord reel does not have this problem.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If it were mine, I think I would remove the reel and mount it 90 degrees from the way it is in the picture.
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbranch View Post
If it were mine, I think I would remove the reel and mount it 90 degrees from the way it is in the picture.
I agree with Ron. Turn the reel 90 degrees. If it makes you feel better we also have to guide our hose as it reels up or it will pile the hose to high and jam on the cross brace. I hold a paper towel around the hose as it reels up to wipe the dirt and trash off. You are lucky because your hose reel is in the open. Ours is behind a panel so I installed a light that comes on when the reel is powered. That allows a visual on the reel to guide the hose as it reels in.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Turning it 90 degrees would add a new issue. Closing the basement door while connected to Ext fresh water. This model requires me to use the access port if I want to close the door. If I turned the reel, I could not get the reel and the access port to align, adding a bigger challenge to the coiling issue.

The port on the floor has rollers on the underside to prevent hose wear as it is pulled out/wound in. FWIW, I purchased a second port cover and cut a notch out of it so I can have the hose out, the majority of the hole covered and the basement door closed.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Turning it 90 degrees would add a new issue. Closing the basement door while connected to Ext fresh water. This model requires me to use the access port if I want to close the door. If I turned the reel, I could not get the reel and the access port to align, adding a bigger challenge to the coiling issue.

The port on the floor has rollers on the underside to prevent hose wear as it is pulled out/wound in. FWIW, I purchased a second port cover and cut a notch out of it so I can have the hose out, the majority of the hole covered and the basement door closed.
Move the reel 90 degrees and over the top of the existing deck plate. Move it back as far as you can. On the left near the front of the compartment install one of these:
TRC Access Door and Roller Guides for Storage Reels - Miscellaneous Hatch & Compartment - Hatch & Compartments - Hardware
Pull the amount of hose you require for hook up out through the open compartment door and then feed it through the hatch. When disconnecting pull all the hose back through the hatch and neatly lay it out on the ground. Using a towel hold the hose with one hand and press the switch with the other hand as you guide the hose back on the reel.

You might also consider one of these.
RV Camper Power Cord Hatch / Cover - White - Brand New
That is what Monaco placed in the bottom of our service bay for the water hose.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote