Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Fault Codes - Guide?

Twice I've had engine fault codes pop up, and twice I've not been able to cross them to anything. Even a call to Beaver tech support was fruitless - they just said "it's a cat engine fault." The Cat manual codes are all 4-digit or 2-digit numbers that never match the dashboard fault codes. Even trying to use educated guesses doesn't work: For example, I thought SFM 157 might possibly equate to the Cat manual code 57 which is a failure of communication between the engine and transmission. Not even close - turns out that fault was for low fuel system pressure....

Is there a comprehensive guide / list of the fault codes that can be displayed by the system? I know they are not random and have to translate into some plain english fault descriptions...
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mark when I get a chance I'll talk to my buddy who works on Cat motors and see if he can get a listing of the codes for the C9 as I too would like to know what it's telling me when a code pops up. How did you finally determine what the SMF 157 meant did you get that info from a Cat service center?
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mark check the Cat forum regarding a recent post on engine codes. Didn't see your code SMF 157 though so don't know if this is what we need.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mark if you are getting the codes from a Silverleaf read this past from another forum.

SilverLeaf uses SAE codes on their readout not
the Cummins codes. You can call SilverLeaf and they will decifer it
to a Cummins code. SAE codes are universal. (CAT, Cummins, etc)
engine company codes are engine specific) I have an EL-200 on an ISC
and have run appon this a few times.
YOU can access the Cummins trouble codes by using your diagnostic
switch (if your coach has one) the engine lights will blink out the
codes But it's a complicated procedure (see your Cummins Manual) if
you donot have a diagnostic switch then:
key- ON, Throttle to floor 3 times within 5 seconds, and release. IF
there are codes in the memory or currently active the WARN & Engine
STOP lights will flash. Count the flashes!!! USE the Manual!!!

Like I said it's complicated without the manual. Suggest call
Silverleaf first or Go to Cummins. Most codes will self clear after
a spicific number of Key Cycles without an occurance. otherwise you
will need cummins equipment to cancel the codes.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Mark when I get a chance I'll talk to my buddy who works on Cat motors and see if he can get a listing of the codes for the C9 as I too would like to know what it's telling me when a code pops up. How did you finally determine what the SMF 157 meant did you get that info from a Cat service center?
Yes the service tech read the code from the engine diag connector.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mark the following is a list of the codes that I believe you are looking for. My buddy helped me get this info off the Cat of California web site for C7 and C9 engines. File should be a Word attachment. Web site is pretty cool as you can even see how many times a specific code has come up on the C7 or C9 engines. Problem is you need a password to get on the site.

Couple additional questions: Based on the code they read SFM 157 did they do any service work to the engine or did they just clear the code and tell you not to worry about it? Do you know if you had used the engine diagnostics on your dash at the time you had the engine check light on would it have read fault SDM 157?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
.... Based on the code they read SFM 157 did they do any service work to the engine or did they just clear the code and tell you not to worry about it? Do you know if you had used the engine diagnostics on your dash at the time you had the engine check light on would it have read fault SDM 157?
Yes they followed their troubleshooting guides and replaced the fuel filter (no change) then the fuel line check valves to fix the problem. Had a broken spring in a check valve so fuel pressure on the inlet to the injector pump was way low (15 psi vice normal 60psi).

I did show a "Check Engine" light on the dash. I went to Engine Diagnostics and that returned the 'SFM 157' fault code - which I could not cross to anything in the Cat manual.

Thanks for the help!