Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #1

Finding leak in fresh water tank?

I seem to have a pretty good leak in my fresh water tank on my 05 HR Amb 40pdq. It's a 100 gallon tank, and from being totally filled, I can lose about half of the volume in 5 days...so about 10 gallons/day. It seems to be coming from the side of the tank towards the rear of the coach...of course, it is right against the wall so I cant tell for sure if that is where it is coming from. I have checked all connections and they are dry.
Any thoughts on figuring out where the leak is without removing the whole tank?

Thanks in advance.
SkiMedicKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #2

Do you happen to have a gravity fill. Owner just posted a cracked/rubbed fill hose ,it was attached about half way on tank port not the top. I know gravity fill is rare option.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #3

Have you checked your accumulator, mine had a pin hole leak, it was mounted in cargo bay ceiling, not easy to see.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Take a paper towel and put 4-6" squares around where you think it might be leaking. They should narrow the area down.

Tim
Old 06-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #5

My fresh water tank leak was as mentioned above the gravity fill hose.

If so? and you are replacing the hose I suggest using Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant on the connections and do not over tighten the clamps, so that you don't damage the hose nipple on the tank ..it is formed with the tank ( on mine ) and should you do so?...you could be in for quit and adventure.

I tried not using any sealer on the connections and was convinced I could make that work ...being warned by some others here it wont seal with just hose clamps. They were right clean the nipples and use the sealer mentioned tighten firm and you will be go to go should theis be your issue.

FYI at the point I did this job was when I first got my coach and I did not realize I could raise my coach above "Travel Mode" .... had I known this then as I do now that I could raise my coach up much higher I would have made fishing that fresh water fill hose thu the wheel well simple ....and not like trying to stuff a wet noodle up a wildcats a** in a phone booth

https://www.permatex.com/products/ad.../?locale=en_us

Happy Trails
Old 06-21-2021, 12:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Do you happen to have a gravity fill. Owner just posted a cracked/rubbed fill hose ,it was attached about half way on tank port not the top. I know gravity fill is rare option.
I do have a gravity fill, but it's on the opposite side from where the leak is, and all the connections are dry.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Have you checked your accumulator, mine had a pin hole leak, it was mounted in cargo bay ceiling, not easy to see.
I guess I don't know what an accumulator is.... but the leak seems to be between the rear wall of the tank and the wall of the wet bay from what I can tell...or it could be on the bottom of the tank in that same area.

Depending on how level I am, the leaking water could drain toward either side of the RV.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:38 AM   #8

It doesn't seem to be the gravity fill hose...it continues to leak when well below the level where that hose enters the tank, and is not in the same area either.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:32 AM   #9

The accumulator is small bladder type tank on pressure side of fresh pump, like large bladder tanks for wells or small expansion tanks for water heaters . To rule out pressure side leak , go to fresh water pump, it will cycle when not using water. You may have already eliminated if leaks with no pressure or pump on., but just throwing it out there .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMedicKC View Post
I guess I don't know what an accumulator is.... but the leak seems to be between the rear wall of the tank and the wall of the wet bay from what I can tell...or it could be on the bottom of the tank in that same area.

Depending on how level I am, the leaking water could drain toward either side of the RV.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

If you know it's the tank you're going to have to remove it anyway.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #11

and they just walk away

Old 07-07-2021, 05:38 AM   #12

Tank drain fitting?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are the tank support beams underneath wet when you have the leak?
I wonder if a previous owner of mine had the same problem. The passenger side of the tank support brackets are badly corroded but every time I've checked the tank and supports they are totally dry and I'm not loosing any water now. The overflow pipe is well below the bottom of the coach and seems to work properly.

If your supports are always wet, corrosion is a real concern. Might be easier and cheaper in the long run to make the effort and remove the tank and do thorough inspection.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Are the tank support beams underneath wet when you have the leak?
I wonder if a previous owner of mine had the same problem. The passenger side of the tank support brackets are badly corroded but every time I've checked the tank and supports they are totally dry and I'm not loosing any water now. The overflow pipe is well below the bottom of the coach and seems to work properly.

If your supports are always wet, corrosion is a real concern. Might be easier and cheaper in the long run to make the effort and remove the tank and do thorough inspection.
I agree, my plan is to remove the tank in a couple weeks and do some further investigating...I just need to be somewhere with full hookups for long enough to take it all apart. It's going to be quite a challenge from what I can tell. But, I'm going to go ahead and add tank heaters and new sensors for all the tanks when I put it back together again.

cps

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water